• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: twist rate for .338 bullets

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I'm curious about the proliferation of 1:9.4" and 1:9.3" twist rate that is commonly suggested for .338's; 300 grain bullets in particular. Everyone agrees that the 1:10" <span style="font-style: italic">works</span>, but then there are those who will chime in and say a 1:9.4" or 9.3" works <span style="font-style: italic">better</span>.

I'm interested to learn what the reasoning is for the slightly faster twist. Is it a matter of the slightly faster twist giving the bullet enough stability to fly thru the transonic range? Does anyone know where I can read about any tests being done that shows an advantage of the faster twist?

Thanks,
-Bryan

Re: Question: twist rate for .338 bullets

Well if you dont know... who will??
wink.gif

Here´s a link to Lilja´s web pagfve.- Dan Lilja wrote an article about bullet imbalance and twist that may help, although I suppose you´ve already seen this one.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/bullet_imbalance_twist.ht

I

I tried to find the same info before I ordered my barrel and I could find nothing. The guys who shoot well with 1:10 twist and 300gr SMKs shot just as well as the guys who used the 1:9.4 etc. The biggest benefit I could find for the 1:9.4 was peace of mind. Guys in another forum claimed that some 1:10 barrels may not stabilize the 300gr SMK but the faster twist always would. I went 1:10 and have had zero issue stabilizing any bullet I've tried so far. Lutz Moller's long range bullets require a rifle built specifically to shoot them... I don't see how a 1:7 gain twist barrel would apply to just about any other bullet in .338"

The special twist rate barrels for the Lutz Möller bullets will NOT work good on other bullets, if The jacket is this you will "rip" the bullet apart!!!
For distance less the 500m meters there is not limit to how steep the twist can be, the bullets must however be of a material that can handle this twist, like a solid cobber or brass bullet.

Cheers,

Master Diver

I have read several books on High Power, they all state in the reloading sections and in the Gunsmithing sections that you can not over spin a bullet. You can under spin one but not over spin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read several books on High Power, they all state in the reloading sections and in the Gunsmithing sections that you can not over spin a bullet. You can under spin one but not over spin. </div></div>

To some drgree that is true but the bullet has to be strong enough for the fast twist. That is one of the reasons that Sierra made a second generation of the 350 SMK for the BIG 375 CheyTac!

Cheers,

Master Diver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read several books on High Power, they all state in the reloading sections and in the Gunsmithing sections that you can not over spin a bullet. You can under spin one but not over spin. </div></div>

If you shoot a thin jacketed 52 gr. .223 bullet at high velocity out of a fast twist barrel they will go "puff" about 20-40 yards down range as the jacket comes apart and the molten lead vaporizes, so yes you can "over spin" some projectiles. This is not an issue of stability though, just an example of the jacket not being able to withstand the centripital forces exerted by the extremely high rpm.

Over stabilizing a projectile can lead to increased dispersion (diminish accuracy), just as under stabilizing can cause it to tumble. Longer VLD type projectiles are more susceptible to this. Spin stabilized projectiles have an optimal range of the combination of twist rates and velocity (and thus rate of rotation/rpm) to achieve utmost accuracy.

Just a quick comment on the spin issue. I am waiting on the 300 grain Berger VLD's to come out. They are considerably longer than the 300 SMK's, but info thus far is that they too should stabilize fine with the 1:10 twist rate.

Some with whom I have had discussions indicated that the shorter 1:9.4 or 9.3 is less the issue with general stabilization of the 300's than it is to give them some degree of over-stabilization that would normally only be of value if they are fired a distances sufficient that they would go through the transonic velocity range. Bullets will always experience somewhat unpredictable influences and responses in that range. If they are only "adequately" stabilized when they reach transonic they will be less likely to make it through with reasonable likelihood of continued predictable performance. Hence the shorter twist, providing more gyro stabilization than really necessary for optimal performance in the velocity range above supersonic +15 or 20%. For 300 grain bullets (SMK, Lapua Scenar, and particularly the coming Berger VLD's) as fired in .338 Lapua or .338 Norma, the transonic issue occurs at very long range indeed. Run some typical loads through with 300's through QuickLoad or other good softward to see how far out it occurs.

Just my two-bits.

muffcook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read several books on High Power, they all state in the reloading sections and in the Gunsmithing sections that you can not over spin a bullet. You can under spin one but not over spin. </div></div>

If you shoot a thin jacketed 52 gr. .223 bullet at high velocity out of a fast twist barrel they will go "puff" about 20-40 yards down range as the jacket comes apart and the molten lead vaporizes, so yes you can "over spin" some projectiles. This is not an issue of stability though, just an example of the jacket not being able to withstand the centripital forces exerted by the extremely high rpm.

Over stabilizing a projectile can lead to increased dispersion (diminish accuracy), just as under stabilizing can cause it to tumble. Longer VLD type projectiles are more susceptible to this. Spin stabilized projectiles have an optimal range of the combination of twist rates and velocity (and thus rate of rotation/rpm) to achieve utmost accuracy.

</div></div>

This is contrary to what ost of the top High Power shooters say, According to Derrick Martin's book, (The complete Guide to AR15 Accuracy) pg. 85 "In general, you don't get in trouble over-spinning a bullet, but you ALWAYS get into it with under spinning" If you read THe Competitive AR15 by Glen D Zediker, he states the same on pg 227. I will relent that if you are trying to take a 69smk and are trying to take it much north of 4200 fps you it might come apart. But in general, you can not over spin a pill. Plane and simple.

muffcook,
I've heard this same <span style="font-style: italic">implication</span>, but I was hoping to hear from someone who's had first hand experience.
Transonic stability is a tricky thing to predict. It's hard to tell what bullets will make it thru fine, which never will, and which ones only need a slightly faster twist to make it thru. This is an interesting area of research. I suspect <span style="font-style: italic">someone</span> has had poor accuracy past transonic ranges with the 300 SMK in a 1:10" twist, then saw an improvement after going to a 1:9.4", thus the trend.
According to the <span style="font-style: italic">math</span>, the new 300 grain Berger VLD's should make it thru transonic just fine with a 1:10" twist. HOWEVER, that same math also predicts that other bullets would make it thru which have proven not to. Transonic stability is not deterministic like gravity drop. The aerodynamic variables required to calculate it cannot be estimated with enough accuracy.
Well, time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your input on this,
-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muffcook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 300 grain bullets (SMK, Lapua Scenar, and particularly the coming Berger VLD's) as fired in .338 Lapua or .338 Norma, the transonic issue occurs at very long range indeed. Run some typical loads through with 300's through QuickLoad or other good softward to see how far out it occurs.

Just my two-bits.

muffcook </div></div>
FYI-
A 300 grain bullet with a consistent BC of .786, a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps and a ISA atmosphere, becomes transonic at approximately 1725 yds according to Loadbase 2.0

V-Ref:
The numbers you ran are pretty representative of a Lapua or Norma with a 300gn. bullet. You didn't indicate what velocity you chose to identify the "transonic", but Mach 1 in standard atmosphere at sea level is 1,116fps. Velocity where ballistic gurus indicate concerns about transonic effects begin are at Mach 1 +15-20%. If you split that (just to arrive at a number to work with)you get 1,311fps, which declines as density altitude increases. In any case, 1725 yds is pretty near the "magic mile" . . . pretty far out.

In my last note I made a brief comment about the potential reason why there seems to be a trend to shorter than 10 inch twists for the 300gn bullets, and also indicated that the details on bullet behavior were unpredictable in the transonic range. More accurately, it should be stated as unpredictable for "most of us". Transonic effects can probably be predicted fairly well with calculations utilizing 6 DOF modeling, but the information needed to accomplish that level of calculation is not available for most bullets or to most shooters. And 6 DOF calculations are beyond the programs available to most of us anyway. And they could never be used in the field because of the necessary computational power. (They aren't even used on fighter jets to arrive at missile firing solutions.)

Re. the shorter twists, it remains likely a 10" twist is fine for best accuracy potential in the velocity range down to Mach 1+15-20%. It "may" be of some benefit to have shorter twist if shooting beyond transonic ranges, but for most of us, that would question would best be answered by comparing performance at those ranges with 10" twist vs shorter twist, since we have no adequate method of prediction available to us. It is also likely that shortening twist too much may reach a point of creating an adverse affect. It is not reasonable to believe that "there is no such thing as too much stability". And this <span style="text-decoration: underline">may</span> be particularly true for very long bullets.

muffcook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muffcook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">V-Ref:
The numbers you ran are pretty representative of a Lapua or Norma with a 300gn. bullet. You didn't indicate what velocity you chose to identify the "transonic", but Mach 1 in standard atmosphere at sea level is 1,116fps. </div></div>

It was 1116 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muffcook</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Velocity where ballistic gurus indicate concerns about transonic effects begin are at Mach 1 +15-20%. If you split that (just to arrive at a number to work with)you get 1,311fps, which declines as density altitude increases. </div></div>

I got 1311.3
smile.gif

That happens at about 1450 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muffcook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In any case, 1725 yds is pretty near the "magic mile" . . . pretty far out.</div></div>

I agree...both of those are a ways out there.

So where in the bullets flight path is the best velocity number to apply to the Miller/Greenhil formulas to determine "Optimum twist rate"? I see folks apply muzzle velocities, but you would think if your concerned about stability at long range you would want to utilize your projected projected velocity at that range.

Given a .338 caliber, 300 grain bullet, 1.725 in length:
Greenhill formula suggests a 8.43 twist for a 2.0 Stability Factor at 1116 fps
Greenhill forumla suggests a 8.65 twist for a 2.0 Stability Factor at 1311.3
smile.gif
fps

So where does the 9.3 or 9.4 twist come from? Is it real deal testing, that's proved what's worked vs. the computed/software suggested twist?

Thanks for the discussion. I'm new at this, and looking to start shooting longer ranges here soon.

V-Ref:

Greenhill is a pretty old formula that I think is only good for an estimate. One particular limitation of Greenhill is that it has no velocity dependency. Obviously, a bullet fired though a barrel with 1:10 twist will turn at different RPM if muzzle velocity is 2,500fps that it would at 3,000fps. I have another formula around that I will dig out a bit later today as I will be leaving for a while shortly. I believe it provides a better "estimate", but an estimate nevertheless. Also, I cannot comment on how to decide upon the most desirable Stability Factor (the 2.0 you used when you applied the Greenhill formula) for a given application and bullet.

It would be good to get Bryan Litz to get back into the thread to comment on how bullet manufacturers arrive at their recommended twists for each given bullet. Undoubtedly there is a formula that can be relied upon to provide appropriate stabilization for a bullet of given diameter, length, muzzle velocity, etc.

I'll dig out the other formula I have and post it later . . . if I can locate it!

muffcook

V-Ref:
I found the other formula I mentioned in my last reply. It was in an article by George E. Culp published in Rifle Magazine #156 (Nov-Dec 1994) so it obviously must be the latest thing in SOTA twist calculation!

Twist = (0.06)(velocity)(diameter^2)/bullet length

But let's look at Greenhill's formula first. Referencing "Hatcher's Notebook", Sir Alfred George Greenhill was Professor of Mathematics to the advanced class of artillery officers at Woolwich. He worked out the formula named for him in 1879 to determine the spin necessary to stabilize an elongated bullet. It stated: "The twist required (in calibers) equals 150 divided the length of the bullet (in calibers).

The estimated twist calculated was intended for a bullet of lead, with specific gravity 10.9. Bullets of materials other than lead required that an adjustment be made to correct the resulting calculation.

I have seen a few altered versions of Greenhill through the years, but have long since lost track of them. Based upon the calculation you listed I would say that the formula must have been a modification of Greenhill's since velocity is not considered in the determination of twist in his formula.

If we assumed that the bullet for which you were trying to determine an appropriate twist was made of lead:

Twist in calibers = 150/(1.725"/0.338") = 29.391 calibers
(29.391)(0.338") = 9.934"

As an estimate, that's pretty close to 10", and it didn't relate to velocity at any range.

If we repeat the process using Culp's formula listed earlier, we will need to select a muzzle velocity . . . let's try 2,800 fps.

Twist = (0.06)(2,800)(0.338^2)/1.725 = 11.126"

Note that at this velocity, Culp's formula indicates adequate stability from a longer twist than did Greenhill's formula. Let's repeat once more at a lower velocity, say 2,300 fps.

Twist = (0.06)(2,300)(0.338^2)/1.725 = 9.140"

So, Culp's formula tells us that at 2,800 fps, a twist of 11.126" will stabilize our 1.725" long 0.338 caliber bullet, but at 2,300 fps, a shorter twist of 9.140" would be needed! Why? Let's look at one other factor.

Bullet RPM = 60(velocity)(12")/twist = 60(2,800)(12")/11.126" = 181,197

and 60(2,300)(12")/9.140" = 181,182

The two figures differ by 15 RPM only because of rounding to three decimal places during the calculation process. So, the Culp formula provides the same rotational speed for both velocities, whereas Greenhill's formula would predict stability would be achieved by a 9.934" twist at any velocity. Intuitively (sometimes a risky process) that doesn't seem to be reasonable for Greenhill. For instance, would stability be achieved at 100 fps?

On the other hand, I could not say that a bullet would require the same stability (as provided by the same rotational speed) regardless of its velocity. I simply don't know enough about stability requirements of bullets make any claim.

Since I am in the process of determing specifications for a new rifle, twist requirements also interest me greatly. So, I would like to hear some input from Bryan Litz on how rotational speed requirements are determined and whether the required stability is different at different velocities, thus dictating a different rotational speed.

Hope this give a bit of insight, or stimulates some thought.

muffcook

Muffcook

(I'm still coming to terms with that username:)) Great post, and it did overstimulate my simple mind after the first reading.

I too am interested in learning the methodology behind the larger bullet manufacturers recommended twist specifications. I say larger companies, as I'm assuming those would be the ones that the resources to conduct testing, collect data, and then make those recommendations.

The formula I was using was from a utility in Loadbase 2.0. It has a tool that allows you to specify bullet length, caliber, weight, velocity, and then spits out a twist based off the Greenhill or Miller formulas. It doesn't have a input for a bullet density value for lead, copper, etc to delineate the different bullet materials.

That was very insightful when you compared both formulas, and then related how velocity plays it's part with bullet RPM.

I'm intrigued to learn what an "ideal" twist rate is based upon, according to Berger, Sierra, etc.

I suspect that it'll be very much an individual answer, that all the companies will use their own proprietary methodology to determine that, and quite possibly will want to protect that process.

But I'll drop a PM to the gentleman who posted above, and see if I can't drag him in to get an answer:)

V-Ref:

I thought I should give you a short reply so you don't over-exert yourself decoding my username. About 20 years ago I set up an annual fishing trip to which I invited a number of friends. The number who attended through the years ranged between 8 and 16, and most of them were guys from our church who liked to fish, sip a little good whiskey, and enjoy a fine cigar as well. I did the planning and organization . . . and all of the cooking, which included 5 dish Chinese meals and a little thing I put together called "Duke's Canoe Club Trout" based loosely on a recipe given to me by Duke's Restaurant in Honolulu (it involves fillets rolled in Madadamia nuts and Parmesan cheese, fried in butter). The name of the trip / group was <span style="text-decoration: underline">M</span>en <span style="text-decoration: underline">U</span>nited for <span style="text-decoration: underline">F</span>ishing and <span style="text-decoration: underline">F</span>ellowship . . . and I was the <span style="text-decoration: underline">C</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">O</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">O</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">K</span>. The name stuck. However, I never go through this explanation with my wife's sisters or female friends!

I will be interested to read any response you get re. manufacturer's "Ideal" twist rates. Particularly, since twist selection from any source is based upon a number of assumptions and compromises. Most manufacturers provide what they call "Recommended" twist rates. Exceeding them somewhat is usually OK, within limits. But going much below them can result in poor performance ranging between undesirable and completely unusable.

I suspect that manufacturers start out by making a determination mathematically to identify a twist that will provide reliable general performance for a given bullet. Of particular interest to me, however, would be comments on whether (and how) they might adjust that initial determination depending upon the intended usage application of that bullet (hunting, bench rest, long range target, etc.)

muffcook

V-Ref,
Thanks for bringing the developments on this thread to my attention. I'll be happy to discuss the questions.

The Greenhill formula was good for the projectiles and mostly subsonic speeds of it's time. In the modern world of pointed, boat tailed bullets fired at 3+ times the speed of sound, the Greenhill formula is simply not very representative, even with the attempts at modern correction factors.

The new standard for practical stability calculation is the method developed by Don Miller. This is the method I recommended for use in Gustavo Ruiez's program: LoadBase2 (mentioned above). Millers stability formula is essentially a curve fit to empirical data (not a direct stability calculation). As such, it has it's limitations, but is quite accurate and very useful for estimating gyroscopic stability. I have written a simple program that calculates stability based on Millers formula that I will be happy to email to anyone interested (free).

The Miller formula is the most practically useful formula for estimating stability, but there are more accurate ways. The McGyro code, developed by Bob McCoy is more accurate, but is still not a direct calculation of bullet stability. It's a more sophisticated empirical estimate that involves more variables, some of which not available or obvious to the average shooter. The JBM twist calculator runs the McGyro stability code, and can be used (for free) at this address:
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmdrag-5.0.cgi

One important note on the use of both the Miller and McGyro programs:
It's a very common mistake to think you can calculate the downrange stability with these programs. The programs are good for calculating muzzle stability only. Even though the JBM implementation of McGyro gives stability factors at what appear to be 'downrange' velocities, that's not the case. When the output says: SG=x.xx at 1300 fps, it means if you fired the bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps, the SG would be x.xx. It's NOT the SG of the bullet fired that's fired at high velocity and slows to 1300 fps.

Historically, Walt Berger has established the twist requirements for Berger bullets and continues to do so. For the few bullets that have been released in my short time with Berger so far, Walt and I have discussed our independent calculations of twist requirements based on different methods and have found them to be in agreement. My methods are Miller and McGyro. I don't know for sure what Walt's prediction method is based on, but it's agreed with my calculations so far. We always round the number down to the faster twist to be on the safe side, which is why many times (especially at high altitude in warm air) people find they can stabilize bullets with slower than the recommended twist.

Beyond the Miller and McGyro prediction codes you would have to use a direct calculation that requires the actual aerodynamic and mass properties of the bullet (the 6-DOF details that muffcook was describing). These are time consuming and difficult to generate, even for someone with the resources and knowledge to do it. Honestly, the prediction methods (Miller and McGyro) are close enough that a more sophisticated calculation is seldom required, especially since we leave a safety margin.

Moving on...
You can't tell anything about stability from rotational speed (RPM) alone. Calculating RPM's as a means to quantify stability is a common mistake. The gyroscopic stability factor (SG which is calculated by the Miller and McGyro programs) is the real measure of bullet stability. RPM's play a part, but is not the whole picture.

Consider the conflicting influences involved in bullet stability. The <span style="font-style: italic">destabilizing</span> influence exists because the center of pressure (cp)is in front of the bullets center of gravity (cg). Airplanes, rockets, and arrows achieve stability by forcing the center of pressure behind the center of gravity with tail surfaces. Bullets, however, have to <span style="font-style: italic">live with</span> their cp in front of the cg and achieve stability another way. The <span style="font-style: italic">stabilizing</span> influence for a bullet is it's spinning mass. The spinning mass makes the bullets axis rigid, and resistant to the <span style="font-style: italic">destabilizing</span> overturning torque of the cp being in front of the cg.

Deep breath...

Now consider the factors that affect the relative strength of the stabilizing and de-stabilizing influences.
1. Increasing twist rate (while leaving everything else unchanged) will increase the rigidity of the spin axis while leaving the de-stabilizing influences unchanged, so stability is improved.
2. Increasing the length of the bullet will usually increase the distance between the cp and cg which increased the destabilizing torque which has a destabilizing affect. Also, the longer bullet has a less rigid spin axis than a shorter bullet.
3. Increasing the weight of the bullet while leaving everything else the same will increase the rigidity of the spin axis.
4. Now we get to the interesting 'double edged sword': velocity. Increasing the velocity has two effects. First, it will increase the RPM's of the bullet which has a stabilizing effect. Second, it increased the force (aerodynamic drag) that's applied at the cp thus increasing the overturning (destabilizing) torque. The net result is that increased velocity improves stability because the spin axis is strengthened a little more by the extra RPM's than it's weakened by the greater overturning torque. The increase in stability with velocity is far less than a 1:1 correlation with velocity though.

All of the above has been talking about gyroscopic stability, specifically at the muzzle. Gyroscopic stability will generally improve as the bullet flies down range because the forward velocity (a de-stabilizing influence) is eroding faster than the spin rate (a stabilizing influence). If a bullet has gyroscopic stability at the muzzle, it will only grow larger downrange.

It's interesting to note that the gyroscopic stability factor is the ratio of the stabilizing influences to the destabilizing influences. So in theory, this ratio should be greater than 1.0 for the bullet to be gyroscopically stable. In practice, you want SG to be a little greater than 1.0 to allow a margin for error (imperfect calculations, imperfect barrel twist, non-standard atmospheric conditions, etc).

Now to the really interesting question which prompted me to start this thread.

I said earlier that gyroscopic stability only increases with range as the bullet slows down. So why do bullets have <span style="font-style: italic">stability</span> problems at transonic flight speeds? When a bullet has 'trouble' at transonic speeds, it's not for a lack of gyroscopic stability, but rather dynamic stability which is more complicated than gyroscopic stability. I say it's more complicated because the factors required to calculate it are so very hard to predict, that even if you have a 6 DOF simulation, the parts of the aerodynamic model that are important for predicting dynamic stability can only be determined within ~+/- 20%, and in some cases can be as far off as 100%! Transonic aerodynamics is messy business and is a very difficult challenge for modeling and simulation. When I was 'greener', and had more faith in the modeling tools than I should, I was predicting transonic stability for bullets with confidence. It took a few cases of being proven wrong, but I learned the limitation of the modeling tools for this application. The truth is, you just have to try it before you know if a particular bullet at a particular twist, MV, atmosphere, etc will successfully negotiate the transonic regime.

In summary:
We have Miller and McGyro (both free and available) to predict gyroscopic stability at the muzzle. These are predictions, but are accurate enough for selecting a proper twist for gyroscopic stability. The equations of motion in most ballistics programs are direct, exact calculations for ballistic trajectories which are more accurate then commonly believed. The equations assume the bullet is flying point forward, which it will for a broad range of stability, until it approaches transonic. At that point it's a gamble. Generally, heavier bullets (high BC) are able to negotiate this flight regime better than light (low BC) bullets, but there are no hard and fast rules.

I hope this answers more questions than it raises!

Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan:

That certainly answers lingering questions I had with useful detail. You commented the uselessness of predicting stability based upon bullet RPM, as is done in the formula I posted in my earlier response to V-Ref. That seems perfectly logical since the examples given in that post showed the same RPM despite velocities that differed by about 20%. Aerodynamic forces would be much lower at the lower velocity and spin rate needed to generate sufficient gyroscopic stability should also be lower.

It is the comments you made on the transonic range that particularly interest me. Based upon examples from aviation history and design, it should be of no surprise that unusual things take place "go supersonic" or the opposite. Numerous aircraft crashed as we explored the transonic speed range trying to break the barrier. Pilots of the doomed aircraft reported encountering severe turbulence in that range (the same should be expected for bullets). As the pressure wave moved rearward they experienced control reversal leading to the crashes.

Similar limitations exist for propeller driven aircraft when propeller tip speeds approach Mach 1. I built competition model aircraft for many years, using engines that ran up to 35,000 RPM. We always needed to be mindful of tip speed to avoid explosive destruction of propellers and the most sophisticated solutions to the problem resulted in adoption of geared drives that allowed prop RPM to be lower than engine RPM. That also allowed larger props which were better aerodynamically anyway (sort of like scaling effects of bullets, but for aerodynamic reasons).

But that is an aside. Since my current interest is primarily very long, highly ballistically efficient .338 bullets, I am hoping that your comment that their size may make them less vulnerable to transonic destabilization effects. For the 300gn Berger VLD's, I am listening to comments from others, but am still leaning toward a 10" twist. If the new bullet's efficiencies are as good as I suspect, my .338 Norma should be supersonic to 1,900-2,000 yards, which would pretty much eliminate any worries I might have about transonic issues anyway!

Thanks again for your great input.

muffcook

you may want to try a 1 in 9.75 twist. im working with one right now and its shoots both the 250 scenar and the 300 scenar extremely well.

i tested the 300 gr scenars today in 5 degree temps out to 1650 meters and saw no stabilization problems. MV was 2860 fps. the barrel is a 28" bartlein 5R. (MTU contour)

pgs:

The primary remaining reason I am still waffling on staying with a 10" twist or going a bit shorter is exactly the type of conditions you reported shooting in today. Drop the temperatures down and combine it with above average barometric pressure and the density altitude, which is what the bullet sees, drops substantially. Having a bit shorter twist gives a margin of gyroscopic stability that will allow a bullet to perform safely when presented with more challenging demanding aerodynamic forces that must be overcome. Your 9.75, of the 9.5 and 9.4's also mentioned frequently help provide that extra margin of stability.

muffcook

I'm having a .338 Edge built by Shawn Carlock with both a 1:10" twist barrel and a gain twist that goes from 1:10" at the breach to 1:9" at the muzzle. It will be interesting to see how both perform at extended ranges (transonic/subsonic flight speed). It's going to be a while before this comes to fruition but I'll be sure to report here when there's something to report.
-Bryan

Bryan:

Interesting that you are considering a gain twist. I will be using a gain twist on in the Bartlein barrel for my .338 Norma, but I don't plan to go as short as 9" at the muzzle. Still thinking 10", or possibly as short as 9.5" at the muzzle, with 0.75" to 1.0" longer at the breech. I have discussed the gain twist with Bartlein. I would also like to go with left hand rifling, but I haven't talked to them about that one yet.

muffcook

Who knows how the gain twist will work with a long bearing surface bullet, but it will be interesting to learn. Most of the collective knowledge is with short benchrest bullets which they do very well with.

Good idea going with the left twist barrel. In the northern hemisphere you'll have Coreolis and spin drift partially canceling rather than compounding.

-Bryan

Bryan:

The long bearing surface is precisely why I don't want too much difference between twist at muzzle and breech. Just enough to keep a bit of "back pressure" on the bullet from the rifling as it is pushed from behind by the expanding powder gas. That was one of the issues discussed with Bartlein.

muffcook

Just started playing with .338 Lapua myself last week here at the shop. Only short range for now. Mine is a 1-9.5 twist, 5R. Started with 250gr. Hornady Match and 250 Lockbase Lapua's and the gun is a hammer. Finish barrel length is 27".

Shot a 9.5 twist at 1200 yards last Sept. with the Lockbase bullets and had the gun (different one) shoot around 6" groups at 1200 first time out with just one load. I'm loading both H1000 and N165 powder. Most of the testing has been with N165 and just started playing with the H1000. Haven't chronographed anything yet.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank:

you might try VVN560 with 250 gr bullets. it produces nice uniform S.D.s for me as is very accurate as well. ive worked up to 90.0 grs safely. ive shot it in 2 different bartlein 5Rs. a 1-10 and 1-9.75.

good luck! pat

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'">In an effort to resolve the issue of choosing an appropriate twist for my new rifle, I decided that the best way would be to determine a twist mathematically that would provide a recommended stability coefficient (Sg) in standard conditions, and acceptable stability in the most extreme dense air conditions. Bullets require shorter twist to be stable in dense air and it is always better to round off calculations in the direction that provides more stability. Sg calculations were done using the Don Miller stability formula as written into a calculator program from Brian Litz of Berger Bullets. Here are the parameters and the results:

[size:14pt]I. Standard conditions @ sea level</span>
A. 300 grain Berger VLD bullet @ MV = 2,775 fps
B. 59.0 degrees F.
C. 29.92 inches Hg barometric pressure

Here, a 10.0 inch twist gives Sg = 1.45 (Safely above the 1.4 recommended to ensure stability in all conditions likely to be encountered.)

<span style="font-size: 14pt">II. Extreme dense air conditions in Death Valley @ -282 feet elevation</span>
A. 300 grain Berger VLD bullet @ MV = 2,700 fps (A little slower due to the low temperature, therefore giving a slightly lower Sg.)
B. -10.0 degrees F. (It was a severe winter for Death Valley!)
C. 32.00 inches Hg barometric pressure (A very clear day!)

Here, a 10.0 inch twist gives Sg = 1.16 (Not high, but significantly above neutral stability where Sg = 1.0 and gyroscopic stability (positive) is just equal to aerodynamic instability (negative). And remember, as range increases, velocity decays much faster than spin rate. Thus the bullet is relatively more stable as distance from the muzzle increases.)

<span style="font-size: 14pt">III. Extreme dense air conditions while elk hunting during the September rut in Montana @ 6,000 feet elevation.</span>
A. 300 grain Berger VLD bullet @ MV = 2,700 fps. (Again, decreased from standard due to the low temperature.)
B. - 31.4 degrees F. (It was -10.0 degrees at sea level when the helicopter came to pick me up, but standard decrease at altitude had dropped it to -31.4 @ 6000 feet when he dropped me off in my elk camp.)
C. 26.22 inches Hg barometric pressure (It was 32.00 when the helicopter picked me up, but standard decrease at altitude had dropped it to 26.22 when we reached 6,000 feet.)

Here, a 10.0 inch twist gives Sg = 1.35 (The bullet would be securely stable at this figure.)

The extreme conditions above were selected because they place extreme demands on the need for gyroscopic stability. They far exceed any actual conditions ever experienced in those settings and are well beyond any realistic possibility. However, this little exercise convinced me that a 10.0 twist should be fully adequate for my rifle using the 300 grain Berger VLD bullets in any realistic conditions I might ever encounter.

So, my barrel will be a fluted, stainless steel Bartlein, finished at 28 inches OAL. Diameter at the breech will be 1.35 inches, with a straight taper to 0.900 at the muzzle. Rifling will be left hand, 5R, T-style, with 11.00 inch twist at the breech and 10.00 inch twist at the muzzle.

After the Berger 300 grain VLD is available, I will interested to enter its actual measurements into the McGyro formula to see how the results it produces compare to those from the Don Miller formula as listed above.

My thanks go to Bryan Litz for his willingness to discuss the twist issue in some detail.

muffcook
</span>[/size]

I have never felt so humbled as I do now after reading this thread!

Thank god there are guys like you with the ability to comprehend this mumbo-jumbo so idiots like me can benefit!!

Muff,

Please let us all know how that thing shoots when it is finally completed!

Thanks for the thread guys!

Dark

This may be of no help but I built my Lapua with a 1-8 twist and it shoots 300gr Scenars at 2934 fps. and they seem to be holding together just fine. That is with 94gr of Retumbo and a 29.5in. barrel. Proved to be a max load in my rifle so use caution.

Have you shot them to ranges where they go transonic?
I'm curious to know if a faster (in your case 1:8") twist would affect the transonic stability of .338 bullets.
-Bryan

Bryan,

In as an attempt to add to the knowledge base....

I have shot 6.0 caliber long, solid .338's (267 gr. @ 2900 fps) out to 1600 yards so far in a 9.4 twist (Rock Creek, 28.5"). No problems with stability through several iterations of the bullet. I have not tried them in a slower twist. I also use the 300 Scenar, comparing them side to side when doing the tests for the manufacturer.

I will be very interested to try the Berger 300's to add to the mix!

Scott Nye

Not as of yet have a shoot planned in two weeks. I will have known range targets out to 2500 meters and I will let you know what transpires.

as an aside has any one played with any of the GS Custom bullets? I have hear they claim a .930 for the 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give the N560 a try!

Later, Frank </div></div>

I have shot only N560 with 250 Scenars and have neved had any problems. Quite a few friends say tehy have speed/pressure problems with N165.

Other people say they get their barrels really dirty with either N570 or N170. Too much graphite to keep the barrel clean.

Because 250 Scenar flies really well through the transsonic speeds it can be used out to 2000m.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I will be very interested to try the Berger 300's to add to the mix!
</div></div>

+1 here!

My head hurts - but this thread was well worth the read

1 in 10 will shoot 250's and 300's out of every 338 barrel we have built. I have shot 1 in 9.3 twist barrels and don't see any difference at all.

I have a Armalite, 1 in 10 with 26" barrel. Still doing load development with 300g. SMK and shot .31MOA with a 5 shot group useing 48.6g. IMR-4350
myerfire

Hi Bryan I have a lawton 30" 10 twist and the 300gr MatchKings work through it well and i have never had an issue with it i also have an older 338 Ultra mag barrel i rechambered with my wildcat the 338-300 ultramag improved with 60 degree shoulder and i use this barrel for fireforming and used it to test the reamer and loads before the Lawton arrived. I dont see any advantage with the faster twist and know that early 338 Lapuas were made with 11 twists and some stabalised the 300gr MatchKings. It would be great to test the new Berger VLD,s when they are around and i have yet to test the 300gr Lapua's as they are supposed to have a BC advantage to the Sierra mabe with these other 330 projectiles their is the advantage because they might be longer. Like the 90gr MatchKings in 224 that shoot exceptionaly from an 8 twist most use a 7 to stabalise them and even a 6.5 twist.

It is a hard one thoughhave you tried the new Berger desighn yet and what twists were they working in? if you would like some tested in a 338 at various velocities i would be happy to test them i can load some up with trail boss and shoot them at lower velocities to see if they start stable. I know that they are using 8 twists in 338 whispers though.

I will add my .02. I have a 338 lapua that I shoot the 300gr smk with a 9.4 twist. Another friend of mine shoots the 338 edge with the same bullett and a 10 twist. We were shooting 2300 yards and mine were very repeatable and my friends were all over the place. Closer up we shoot about the same. So to me that seems when they are going transonic mine were spinning fast enough to keep their stability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank:

you might try VVN560 with 250 gr bullets. </div></div>

OT

PGS, have you ever tried N560 with 300 grain's bullets?
Thanks

Alessandro

I have been working on building a .338 Edge for quite a while. I have one reason for doing this; I wish to see how far away I can consistently hit a torso-sized target. I plan on using solids and I plan on shooting through the sound barrier. Given my choice in bullets, it stands to reason that I get a fast-twist barrel; specifically 1 in 8" twist rate. With the brass VLDs that I want to shoot, I will need a fast twist rate to keep the stability factor high enough to stabilize them throughout both super and subsonic flight (yes I realize that pressures will be somewhat higher).

1 in 10" twist seems to be primarily what people are using to shoot the SMKs, which seems to stabilize them fairly well.

In short, the only reason for my fast twist rate is my planned usage of a long bullet and shooting through the sound barrier. I believe the people that want the faster twist rates for the 300s are trying to push their bullets through the sound barrier. I hear that the transition can be hit-or-miss with a 1 in 10" twist.

Hope this helps,
Fernandez