• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Questions about Borescope Images

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
So I was given a Borescope recently. Figured I'd take a look in my factory Remington 700 308 barrel. The rifle can shoot sub MOA if I do my part, so I'm really not worried about this barrel. Just curious why my muzzle looks the way it does. I'm including pictures of the thoat, the middle of the barrel ( the barrel looks like this all the way through. I suppose it's because it's a mass produced factory barrel), and the muzzle.

MZgjdRH.jpg
2Pydket.jpg
4fPNlmV.jpg

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my White Oak Armament barrel's gas port (it's for a 223 AR). Barrel has exactly 20 rounds through it. Why would my gas port look like this after 20 rounds?
WOA gas port.jpg

Sometimes looking down your bore with a scope is like watching your colonoscopy video, something you may not want to see. :LOL:

The AR barrel looks like there is a burr at the gas port and it is shaving the bullet.

Looks like a bur catching some copper on the gas port.
Sometimes looking down your bore with a scope is like watching your colonoscopy video, something you may not want to see. :LOL:

The AR barrel looks like there is a burr at the gas port and it is shaving the bullet.

Thanks. I assume the burr will eventually smooth itself out? The barrel just has 20 rounds through it, and the rest of it is pristine.

Very normal fire cracking in the 308, the slight pitting near the muzzle isn't coppering up, so nothing to worry about. It appears your gas block is misaligned, reducing the flow of gas towards the bolt carrier. Is this on purpose?

Nice! Any more of the leade? Does the rifling on all lands extend so far?

Yes, the rifling does. And like I said, only 20 rounds down the barrel.

Very normal fire cracking in the 308, the slight pitting near the muzzle isn't coppering up, so nothing to worry about. It appears your gas block is misaligned, reducing the flow of gas towards the bolt carrier. Is this on purpose?

No, not done on purpose. I had sent it off to a gunsmith and they guaranteed me perfect alignment. Is it possible it's just the angle? I had the gas block pinned onto the barrel, and I had the barrel coated black while they had it.

The gunsmith is supposedly pretty well known for their work...

A friend of mine bought an assembled upper from a reputable source and the gas block wasn't installed properly and it loosened up and slid completely blocking the barrel port effectively making his carbine a single shot. It's worth investigating.

Interesting. I'll email the picture to the gunsmith and see what they say.

I've actually had this gunsmith pin the same model gas block onto an FN barrel as well. Guess I should check it too.

Reactions: elite_ares
Got another picture of the WOA gas port, from the opposite angle
2020-02-05-13-18-13.jpg

And a picture of the FN gas port w/ the same gas block installed by the same gunsmith.
2020-02-05-13-16-40.jpg

Rather than focusing on the rifling, see if you can get a shot focused a little deeper. The dark line is still opposite the erosion on the edge of the port.

Gunsmith seemd to think it's the gas tube (I installed the gas tube), but says to put some rounds through it and see if it's an issue.

I don't think it's the gas tube, but could it be?

I'm in need of a good borescope & curious what brand of borescope looks like some good images

The one I used in this thread is a Teslong Borescope. It's $49.99 on Amazon. It can hook up to your computer, phone, or tablet.

So I was given a Borescope recently. Figured I'd take a look in my factory Remington 700 308 barrel. The rifle can shoot sub MOA if I do my part, so I'm really not worried about this barrel. Just curious why my muzzle looks the way it does. I'm including pictures of the thoat, the middle of the barrel ( the barrel looks like this all the way through. I suppose it's because it's a mass produced factory barrel), and the muzzle.

View attachment 7241519View attachment 7241520View attachment 7241521

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my White Oak Armament barrel's gas port (it's for a 223 AR). Barrel has exactly 20 rounds through it. Why would my gas port look like this after 20 rounds?
View attachment 7241529
To me on the gas port, when drilled, it looks like it punched a chunk of steel on the exit. I an no expert, but the gouge filling with copper is no big deal. But it sure looks like a burr on the trailing edge of what got torn out, in both of your pics. That is what would concern me.
If the barrel shoots, it is not an issue, but it has to cause copper fouling on the way to the muzzle.

View attachment 7241519View attachment 7241520View attachment 7241521

View attachment 7241529
my 223 White Oak barrel looks similar.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman