• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quigley Q520 ffp

Just wondering if any of you have shot The Guigley Ford Q520? They are a round specific first focal plane school with at retical according to your bullet weight speed and BC Bullet coefficiency. I’ve bought two one for my 300 RUM and one for my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor

This type of system is not new and it sucks. Why? Because B.C. varies with barrel twist, velocity, and other factors. Velocity is not constant across temperature ranges or barrel life, and the system completely ignores changes in atmospheric conditions.

If you shoot much at all past 400 yards you will quickly realize you have a lot of misses because of elevation errors from the BDC type reticles. Shooters who are using ballistic calculators to calculate their trajectories will be making much more accurate shots in general because they are taking more variables into account than BC and Velocity.

Reactions: Buddly
This type of system is not new and it sucks. Why? Because B.C. varies with barrel twist, velocity, and other factors. Velocity is not constant across temperature ranges or barrel life, and the system completely ignores changes in atmospheric conditions.

If you shoot much at all past 400 yards you will quickly realize you have a lot of misses because of elevation errors from the BDC type reticles. Shooters who are using ballistic calculators to calculate their trajectories will be making much more accurate shots in general because they are taking more variables into account than BC and Velocity.
Completely respect that answer and believe everything that you’re saying.

This is an incredibly good point. Assume your setup is dead nuts as advertised when you test. Cool! Now how the hell can you expect the whole system to perform the same at distance and as advertised when you operate in any different location on any different day (weather, temp, DA, angle, etc).

There’s no substitute for proper DOPE and properly developed firing solutions.

For me, gathering the dope and calculating the firing solution IS shooting. The application of experience and science mixed with art, to make hits IS the fun part. YMMV.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
I'm not going to get involved in the shit fest, but would say that generally speaking, a reticle that is set to one specific bullet and velocity isn't the best idea. The reasons have been explained in this thread and your thread on longrangehunting. Whether or not you reload is irrelevant. I hope the scope is of decent quality and meets your needs. Honestly, I had never heard of this scope until reading your thread on the other forum. What others have said about the weakness of that particular system is true. There are number of things that can affect impacts at range (velocity, bc, environmentals, etc). Also, did you get velocity data from your rifle shooting 143 eldx factory ammo, before buying the scope, or did you just use the listed velocity from hornady? If you used the published velocity, you could already by 50-100 fps off.

I'm not going to judge your purchase. It's your money, spend it on what you want. It might work just fine for you intended use. Most people on this site shoot long range (much longer than 600 yards). They shoot in varying conditions, spend lots of time fine tuning their systems to be as accurate as possible. A scope like the Quigley just does not fit into that type of shooting. It might work ok for a hunter shooting at shorter ranges, and probably is better than using just a duplex reticle and sighting in a few inches high at 100 knowing you can most likely hit something out to 400 or so.

If I were putting together a hunting rifle, I would most likely put a scope on it with the availability of custom etched turrets. That way, if I wanted to shoot different bullets with different velocities, in different environmental locations, I could just buy a turret that matched. With the Quigley, you still need to know your range. Same with a scope/custom turret. Range it, dial the turret to the range and shoot. At least with that, you can use the scope on another gun or with different loads. It's much more versatile, and accomplishes the same thing.

Anyway, I hope your scopes work out for you. That's all that really matters.

I have a shout out to 500 with my 300 ultra mag in 2001 with a 3 x 9 x 50 Nikon Buckmaster scope with no issues. For yrsAnd with middle boy are not shooting golf ball group I’m shooting soccer ball group this new scope is going to improve those group so I could shoot out to 600 I am beyond I’m not looking to set the world record for distance like you guys or I could give a shit about that. And with middle boy are not shooting golf ball group I’m shooting soccer ball group this new scope is going to improve those group so I could shoot out to 600 I am beyond I’m not looking to set the world record for distance like you guys or I could give a shit about that I could give a shit about shooting tight groups Killzone groups. You know what I’m done here I will post a picture of good or bad within the next two weeks of me shooting at 500 video and all and less I’m Byam before then and if any of you other asshole that haven’t chimed in yet continue to chime in I’ll probably end up banned if you’re not in the conversation to stay the fuck out. The athletic who willThe athletic who tried saying big he has held him look at it Quigley Ford scope is the one who started all this shit anyhow because he is full of shit the clarity of the optics on these scopes are pretty damn hard to beat. And if you haven’t seen for yourself then don’t want to chime in

This is an incredibly good point. Assume your setup is dead nuts as advertised when you test. Cool! Now how the hell can you expect the whole system to perform the same at distance and as advertised when you operate in any different location on any different day (weather, temp, DA, angle, etc).

There’s no substitute for proper DOPE and properly developed firing solutions.

For me, gathering the dope and calculating the firing solution IS shooting. The application of experience and science mixed with art, to make hits IS the fun part. YMMV.
Listen if you travel to Canada don’t you shoot your rifle to make sure your rifles on OK so if you’re shooting a foot low at 700 Keep that in mind the next day when you pull the trigger a hair above the center of mass pretty simple guys your system is great at what you do and all I was looking for is anybody else it is ever shot The QF 520?everybody wants to talk shit on it nobody has used it

I’m OK if I have to hold between the 500 in the 550 yard pen at 500 I’m a hunter guys I’m not aiming at a golf ball

I challenge any of you to get your hands on one of the scope and tell me the quality of the glass isn’t top notch there is better there is nothing close to as good in this price range

A BDC reticle in the FFP is a better idea than in the SFP, but is still not quite a precision platform. This is the same basic idea as pushed forward by the PFI/RapidReticle and I think their work really came out of an early collaboration with Ed Verdugo, who came up with the reticle in his GRSC/Norden Performance scope.

I know Ed Verdugo and talk to him every once in a while and conceptually, I think he has the clearest idea of what this is best for: minute of man shooting in a general purpose combat environment. It is an easy system to train on and it works very well out to the effective range of heavy bullet 5.56 or short barrel 308. However, it is best to pick a load and stick with it.

For precision shooting, this is a sub-optimal solution at best.

The specific reticle as shown on Quigley website is a little archaic and not really competitive against modern designs. The business model of making a custom reticle just for you is interesting, but given these seem to be inexpensive Chinese scopes at heart produced with a customized reticle, I am not sure how much I would trust the product.

Anyhow, if an idea off DC reticle in FFP appeals to you, I suggest looking at low power variables. There are plenty of good ones out there. WIth higher power scopes, I think sticking with a quality grid/tree mrad reticle is your best bet.

ILya

This is a very clear cut case of Sunk Cost Bias.

I have been there. It sucks.

Instead of getting your feelings hurt by the harsh comments of people on this forum (myself included). I suggest you spend some time reading lots of posts on here about the scopes we choose to use.

There are many people on this forum that are capable of hitting human torso sized targets at 1,000 yards, cold bore. You need to take a minute to understand the community you are interacting with. If you ask nicely, they will teach you how to shoot at long distance better than you can imagine.

This is a very clear cut case of Sunk Cost Bias.

I have been there. It sucks.

Instead of getting your feelings hurt by the harsh comments of people on this forum (myself included). I suggest you spend some time reading lots of posts on here about the scopes we choose to use.

There are many people on this forum that are capable of hitting human torso sized targets at 1,000 yards, cold bore. You need to take a minute to understand the community you are interacting with. If you ask nicely, they will teach you how to shoot at long distance better than you can imagine.

I was fixing to say the same thing. Somehow I think your good advice will be ignored.

Reactions: JakeM and Sainte70
I challenge any of you to get your hands on one of the scope and tell me the quality of the glass isn’t top notch there is better there is nothing close to as good in this price range
Especially what I have in the scope $720

And let’s make this very clear I’m not trying to sell anybody a scope and I sure as hell am not trying to convert you to shoot this type of “I’m
Talk about brand loyalty!... if you're willing to go fisticuffs over a product and aren't getting paid to shill for it, then something is very loose upstairs...
all you are doing in this whole post is stirring to pot you fucking puke shut the fuck up and move on

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
And let’s make this very clear I’m not trying to sell anybody a scope and I sure as hell am not trying to convert you to shoot this type of “I’m

all you are doing in this whole post is stirring to pot you fucking puke shut the fuck up and move on
I'm not sure who do you think you are, or where do you think you are, but you don't run things around here.

His name was Buddly and his stay was short. I, too, needed a laugh this day. Thank you
Yo to think about talking to some of your own members who were only coming on this thread keeps her in the fucking pot

almost missed this new release. what is the arc resolution in seconds for the top tier glass in these scopes?

gotta dig more into the BDC reticles i guess.

Reactions: Alarka

And you are exactly who to tell me to move on?
Tell you what, I'll wager $100 to a charity of your choosing that your top tier Quigley Ford is made from Chinese parts. It's well known that Chinese products are sub-standard to any of the actually top tier German and Japanese optics. I literally could tell just by handling it. Again, you wanted a review, I gave you one. It sucked...balls. Felt like a cheap Chinese POS. My offer stands; if its proved it's made from Chinese parts, you donate to my charity.

And you are exactly who to tell me to move on?
Tell you what, I'll wager $100 to a charity of your choosing that your top tier Quigley Ford is made from Chinese parts. It's well known that Chinese products are sub-standard to any of the actually top tier German and Japanese optics. I literally could tell just by handling it. Again, you wanted a review, I gave you one. It sucked...balls. Felt like a cheap Chinese POS. My offer stands; if its proved it's made from Chinese parts, you donate to my charity.
It has a Chinese tube only that is the only part of the scope that is Chinese everything else is German

It has a Chinese tube only that is the only part of the scope that is Chinese everything else is German
And even if you’re the guy that handles one at Quail them limited it is still the QF 416 nowhere near their top in optic And the 30 mm tube is the only thing that is made in China

And even if you’re the guy that handles one at Quail them limited it is still the QF 416 nowhere near their top in optic And the 30 mm tube is the only thing that is made in China
Your way within two weeks I will give you a review I will make a video of me shooting the gun at 500 yards

Don't listen to these shitheads Buddly. Most of them have no idea what they're talking about. I'm one of the top PRS and F Class competitors in the country, and I swear by BDC reticles.

I looked through a Q520 ffp and I agree that it completely blows away NF, Kahles, Minox, Tangent Theta, and any scope out there. I plan on putting one on my .30-06 competition rifle as soon as it arrives. We'll see whose laughing after the first couple of stages!!!

Don't listen to these shitheads Buddly. Most of them have no idea what they're talking about. I'm one of the top PRS and F Class competitors in the country, and I swear by BDC reticles.

I looked through a Q520 ffp and I agree that it completely blows away NF, Kahles, Minox, Tangent Theta, and any scope out there. I plan on putting one on my .30-06 competition rifle as soon as it arrives. We'll see whose laughing after the first couple of stages!!!
They act like it’s a witchhunt because it something they don’t understand I’ve seen the glass myself I’ve looked through the radical it’s an amazing qualities scope And thank you very much

30-06 holy shit, Mr. Salazar. can't wait to see results. let me know what recipe for reloads on the '06

Reactions: SLG

That right there is what I call humor.

ILya

They act like it’s a witchhunt because it something they don’t understand I’ve seen the glass myself I’ve looked through the radical it’s an amazing qualities scope And thank you very much
RspJyHy.gif

I have used BDC reticles before, even in SFP scopes. Nothing in particular wrong with them so long as you take the trouble to create and fill out a data book. Yeah, you'll go through a bunch of ammo to handle all the contingencies of range, weather and changes in the equipment as the rifle ages.
In my limited experience, life is a lot easier with a decent scope with FFP and a G2 reticle along with an APP like JBM software that will print out a chart for you to work with, in fact, with simple changes to conditions, it will print a whole data book for you. You then get to true your data and you can, if you understand a little math, extrapolate that trued data across the board.
Methinks, poor Buddy, has no real understanding of this process. It seems, as well, the concept of civil discourse is well beyond his ken. He would do well to remember that there are old people around here. Never pick a fight with an old guy, he won't even put up his hands to tussle with you, he'll just kill you and move on.

Quote of the year!.......Now that I think about it that does make sense I can see where they could save a ton on manufacturing cost by making the aluminum tube in China and then the precision stuff in Germany.

Just wondering if any of you have shot The Guigley Ford Q520? They are a round specific first focal plane school with at retical according to your bullet weight speed and BC Bullet coefficiency. I’ve bought two one for my 300 RUM and one for my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor

No, it's pointless to me, the reticle is made for that bullet, what do you do if you change bullets, or the next batch of powder is faster or slower, or change barrels and your load changes etc? With any other scope I just get my velocity and shoot out to 1k to verify my dope. Then I know exactly how much to dial or hold for the distance I'm shooting. A buddy has one, he also has a burris eliminator I also tried to discourage him from buying. He PAID me to zero the scopes for him too.