• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

R5 Remmy groups ok?

erdmann

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Midland,texas
HI all, I have a new R5 308 ,about 200 rounds, and the best groups i can get are 1 moa. I glass bed the action and not much better. I am using varget 42 to 44 gr 168 match king bumping the lands.

Thanks for any help

Re: R5 Remmy groups ok?

1 MOA across the course is damn good. 1 MOA at 100 from a rest, not so much, unless it's a 10rd group, then maybe. Back those bullets off the lands, start at .010 jump, and try some 168 FGMM.

5R rifles shoot best with 175 gr SMK with 43 grs of Varget seat to 2.800, they don't need to be longer than magazine length.

Your 5R should group well with any quality factory match ammo, 168's or 175's. Re-torque everything properly. Then eliminate one variable at a time, the first being ammo quality. Ignore any off-the-cuff advice about what always happens, to include handloading advice, until you isolate whether there is anything wrong with the rifle/scope/mounts. And don't worry, backing off the lands won't make your ammo longer than the box on a SA Remmy.

Try some factory ammo first and if it's the same then look at your bedding job. It should have been fine before the bedding job.

Also, no disrespect but maybe is you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...no disrespect but maybe is you?</div></div>LOL!
Could be.
I've been told that before as well.
wink.gif

I've also been told that "It's not you, it's me." But that was a different story altogether, although it was, in that case, me.
laugh.gif

What scope setup are you using? If you have a low power scope you could be handicapping yourself.

Shooting just re-loads isn't always going to tell you everything you need to know. Like some of the others you need to shoot some factory match to get a baseline.

Forget all this bumping the lands crap.
Put some good factory fodder in it like Gm or BH 168 to 175 grain and shoot it. That rifle will do much, much better than 1 moa.
After that, you can experiment with hand loads but don't judge the rifle on marginal ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R rifles shoot best with 175 gr SMK with 43 grs of Varget seat to 2.800, they don't need to be longer than magazine length.</div></div>

Mine shoots the above load the best out of anything I've tried. I seat mine to 2.810 though.

Send it to me.... I'll test it out for a year or two. I'll put 4 or 5 thousand rounds through her and work the bugs out. Then I'll send her back to you.

Let me know I'll send you my FFL info...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R rifles shoot best with 175 gr SMK with 43 grs of Varget seat to 2.800, they don't need to be longer than magazine length. </div></div>

What kind of jump does that work out to be? .020?

it could be me but my sako tgr 308 groups .400 to 1/2 " a day long .The bedding job I used jb weld "no laughing" maybe i need to bed it again .The scope is a Millet 6x22.I have been reading this forum a long time and have a great respect for all of you.There is a lot of experience on here and thank you for all the help

with 16 smk i used 44 grains of varget lapua cases and standard cci primers at 2.790 oal and between 2 shooters 10 shots were covered with a dime try seating them deaper

I have no idea and it is not important to me. If I can't load my ammo in the mag I might as well shoot a single shot. All factory match ammo is seated to fit in the mag. Mine shoots 1/4" at 100 yds seated to 2.800. Some bullets like the 175 SMK like a jump before the rifling.

One other thing if you're cleaning after each range trip, stop and just shoot it.

Again to get a baseline shoot factory ammo.

JB is not the best to bed with so if you didn't shoot it before the home grown bed job you'll never know if that is causing you problems. It might need new bedding and it might not.

it will shoot 3 rounds dime size than 1 or 2 fliers then the next group start off with a flier than 3 or 4 that you can cover with a dime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will shoot 3 rounds dime size than 1 or 2 fliers then the next group start off with a flier than 3 or 4 that you can cover with a dime </div></div>

This could very well be your reload, especially if you’re touching lands. I agree with some of the others stop chasing the lands. Load to 2.80 and go from there.

FGMM is 2.80 if that ammo can shoot .5 there should be no reason you need to chase lands with reloads. Plus the slower .30 cals like a little jump anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you measuring 2.80 oal The tip of the bullet to the back of the case? </div></div>

Yes

My 5r (2009) shoots .5-.6 all day with 2156 SMK's, 46 grains varget, 2.805. A little better with the 168 FGGM factory stuff.
Can proabably get better, just got about 205 rds down the tube. Good luck

I have a different story about my 5R. I couldnt get 175 SMK's or Varget to shoot anything better than .5-.7moa out of my gun (I know thats not so bad but I knew it could do better) until I tried RE15 and 155 Scenars that is! .3moa at 100 yards pretty much all day if I was on my game. My load was the following

155 Scenars
46.2gr RE15
CCI BR2 primers
2.855" OAL
2930fps

I later found another accuracy node at 46.9gr RE15, but that was with a OAL of 2.920" (had AccurateMag WSM mags without the spacer plate and had the feed port notched to feed rounds that long) and this load gave me 2950-2970fps (cant remember for sure) and was really accurate, but I bet it wasnt too good for the throat so I went back to the good ole 46.2grs.

So if you cant get varget or SMK's to shoot out of your gun, first thing, have someone els shoot it just to make sure its not you, and then try some RE15 with 155 Scenars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the torque specs on the stock </div></div>

Factory specs with factory bottom metal is 45 to 50 inch pounds. Any more you are in danger of spliting the factory bottom metal at the screw hole. That being said many get away with 65 inch pounds.

I have a 5R now and had a Sendero in 300 WM, I've always heard the torque for these rifles with the bedding blocks was 60 inch pounds.
That could be wrong, just saying what I've heard. The splitting would occur when they used the foot pound wrench's instead of the inch pound ones.

Seekers