• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report: The old fashioned 7RM in an XLR

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011

Been doing load development for her. First the specs:

Savage 110 action w/accutrigger
28" mcgowen 1 in 8 fluted Barrel with R Shuler Break(thanks to Dan Wynn for the great work here)
Xlr Chassis
Black Ceracoat by Mid Tn Gunsmithing
SS HD 5x20

Load:
162 AMax loaded with 68 gr Retumbo and CCI mag primers
180vld loaded with the same
Oal 3.45

This gun loves the 162 AMax. Printing a .336 and .457 in group. This is not a great range for precision as the benches are wood and tied together and odds are someone next to you is blasting away with an ak.
The vlds not so much, this gun has a long chamber as I had I built it for the unicorn, 195 gr vld. It is loaded to where if it is not in the rifling it has to be thousandth from it.

The gun itself, I must say I love the fit and finish of the xlr. It really is a pleasure to shoot. Pretty happy as this was my first project where I either did the work or subcontracted everything out myself.

Last edited:
Looks good there hunt4life I have a 7mag in the back of the safe on project standby. What distance was your target at?

100yards, I need to stretch its legs. I need my buddy to slow down so we can go shooting on his ranch.