• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ranging at night, but on a “budget”

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Well, with a bunch of head gear, consisting of a nox18 and a pvs14 and a halo on a rifle, what is the beast way to range without dropping a ton of money?

i see the sico radius for 1000-1200 often, but I am guessing they can’t be repaired if damaged, or at least not easily.
    Raptar is stupid $ and id rather keep flinging hot lead at coyotes than spend thousands when i already have a terrapin.

Anything else that isnt a pos? 3-400 yards would be enough.

You can see the beam emissions from a 905nm commercial laser with the PVS-14.

Bluetooth pair it to a phone and walk the emissions on target. look at phone for range.

Use scan mode to keep hitting while you walk it in.

You can see the beam emissions from a 905nm commercial laser with the PVS-14.

Bluetooth pair it to a phone and walk the emissions on target. look at phone for range.

Use scan mode to keep hitting while you walk it in.
    I have looked at my range finders with my pvs, they are not super bright. I am not sure i want to add my phone(just another thing to hold) to the mix, but that would work.

wish someone would make a new version of the radius. Not sure why a 300-500 rail mounted dollar lrf isnt a thing.

I’m not sure if they make 14s or not. Can’t vouch for them one way or another as I just was turned onto them myself.
    Optics Planet has the specs and details for them on their website.

Reactions: Jgunner
    the radius is still the best bang for the buck hands down. ive been running one for 4yrs and its been through about everything and on various platforms. its plenty tough if you apply some common sense.

Looks like there is a new one from Sector Optics that'll be available soon called the F1. Haven't seen anything about them out in the wild though.

Looks like there is a new one from Sector Optics that'll be available soon called the F1. Haven't seen anything about them out in the wild though.
    Believe that is the same one as the trybe. Looks the same.

... am guessing they can’t be repaired if damaged, or at least not easily.
    I called sico at one point because I had one that was intermittently blinking off

Was informed they still had the guys that knew how to fix them and they were happy to look at the unit, but couldn't guarantee they could source parts of something was trashed. Said they would do their best either way though to help

... the radius is still the best bang for the buck hands down. ive been running one for 4yrs and its been through about everything and on various platforms. its plenty tough if you apply some common sense ...

I have three radii myself and use'em 5 nights a week. I wouldn't mind if they were a tiny bit smaller and lighter, but I don't think about that in the field. They exceed my requirements, 3000m at night is plenty, especially since I'm all out of rounds for my 81mm mortars ;) :D

I've also had 5 RAPTARs of several flavors, but as pure range finders, again the Radii exceed my requirements, so I'm good with them, sold all the RAPTARs.

I have three radii myself and use'em 5 nights a week. I wouldn't mind if they were a tiny bit smaller and lighter, but I don't think about that in the field. They exceed my requirements, 3000m at night is plenty, especially since I'm all out of rounds for my 81mm mortars ;) :D

I've also had 5 RAPTARs of several flavors, but as pure range finders, again the Radii exceed my requirements, so I'm good with them, sold all the RAPTARs.
    Ill prob end up with a radius, the price doesn’t bother me compared to the rest of my kit, its just that they are no longer serviced. Could be 3 months and i am out 1100 bucks.

but its not like you have steered me wrong yet. So maybe ill get over myself and buy one.

Heh. Thanks for the Raptar, fyi. It works great, but I do shit my pants every time I smash the thing.

... a radius, the price doesn’t bother me compared to the rest of my kit, its just that they are no longer serviced ...
    RAPTARs in warranty are "barely" serviced, with significant encouragement from distributor.
    RAPTARs out of service will probably be serviced as well for cost that would be over the price of a new one :D

SICO (per Plinkit's post) still sounds like they are trying to service. That's a whole lot different attitude than we are seeing with Wilcox !

Otherwise we go to out of country units, like PRC units or Newcon or otherwise. And then face shipping ITAR units out of the country :D

Ive had a radius and messed with a Sector Optics F1. The radius is better. I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine, but the value jumped up and I just didn't get to use it often. When I did use it, it worked as advertised. There is a hole in the market that needs to be filled and I don't see why it should be so difficult.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Ive had a radius and messed with a Sector Optics F1. The radius is better. I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine, but the value jumped up and I just didn't get to use it often. When I did use it, it worked as advertised. There is a hole in the market that needs to be filled and I don't see why it should be so difficult.
    Could you give some feedback on the F1? I assume it's the same LRF that's integrated with their T2 (that has a thermal scanner and a visible laser) which is designed to be integrated with their ID scopes and display in the optic. I know you can use the T2 to range without integrating one of their optics (by using the thermal viewer) but I'm curious how you set up the F1? Do you zero the visible laser to the reticle of your scope (like a RAPTAR)?

Could you give some feedback on the F1? I assume it's the same LRF that's integrated with their T2 (that has a thermal scanner and a visible laser) which is designed to be integrated with their ID scopes and display in the optic. I know you can use the T2 to range without integrating one of their optics (by using the thermal viewer) but I'm curious how you set up the F1? Do you zero the visible laser to the reticle of your scope (like a RAPTAR)?
    Yes, you zero the visible to your height over bore offset. The Sector F1 was not bad, I just really like that the radius will range in constant mode completely eliminating the need to press a button for the reading. Weapons mounted laser ranger finders for me at least really show their worth when combined with clip on NV. Watching the Radius IR laser constantly pulsing downrange while you range game is well worth the price of admission. Just put that pulsing laser on the target and turn your eyes upward for the reading. It's nice to have as few steps as possible when working in the dark.

Reactions: dgheriani
    Yes, you zero the visible to your height over bore offset. The Sector F1 was not bad, I just really like that the radius will range in constant mode completely eliminating the need to press a button for the reading. Weapons mounted laser ranger finders for me at least really show their worth when combined with clip on NV. Watching the Radius IR laser constantly pulsing downrange while you range game is well worth the price of admission. Just put that pulsing laser on the target and turn your eyes upward for the reading. It's nice to have as few steps as possible when working in the dark.
    Thanks for that, it's kinda what I figured. Ideally (to my way of thinking at least) a weapon-mounted LRF should have a remote switch so as not to have to break position to range. I could see how the "constant mode" on a Radius would accomplish that.

Confirmed by sector that the trybe is made by sector and the f1 is the same. Someone else’s core but they plan on offering their own core on the f2 for less money. But that is a ways off.

I like that it is lighter and smaller than a radius, but not familiar with Sector optics at all. If it was $500-$600 the f1 (or trybe ) would be worth playing with. At 1100 i am not enthusiastic to send them my money.

Confirmed by sector that the trybe is made by sector and the f1 is the same. Someone else’s core but they plan on offering their own core on the f2 for less money. But that is a ways off.

I like that it is lighter and smaller than a radius, but not familiar with Sector optics at all. If it was $500-$600 the f1 (or trybe ) would be worth playing with. At 1100 i am not enthusiastic to send them my money.

I can see the smoke rolling off your head from here, trying to decide..... So I'll offer my $.02. The radius flat out works.
    Considering the affordable price tag, it's a no brainer in my book. The chances of it having a problem and breaking are very small. There is not many reports of issues with the units, even with them being in the wild for years now. For their intended purpose, the unit has consistently delivered.

Now, there are a few other options in same price category, that appear to be Chinavirus produced. I personally don't care if it's double the price tag, I'm choosing not to buy their $hit. But, I choose to vote with my wallet when I can. I would rather support fellow fire breathing Americans than Chinavirus anyday. Each man has the right to do what he wants with his hard earned cash, so ETTO. When I have bought Chinavirus products, many times the products don't last or break. Should of saved the money and bought right the first time. For what it's worth, I've had my radius for years now and they've been through -30F cold, banged in/out of trucks, seen hundreds of rounds of recoil including magnums, etc.... and they are still accurately ranging for me. FWIW, radius is American made. Again, just my $.02.
    IMG_20200220_005135709~3.jpg

Last edited:
    I can see the smoke rolling off your head from here, trying to decide..... So I'll offer my $.02. The radius flat out works.
    Considering the affordable price tag, it's a no brainer in my book. The chances of it having a problem and breaking are very small. There is not many reports of issues with the units, even with them being in the wild for years now. For their intended purpose, the unit has consistently delivered.

Now, there are a few other options in same price category, that appear to be Chinavirus produced. I personally don't care if it's double the price tag, I'm choosing not to buy their $hit. But, I choose to vote with my wallet when I can. I would rather support fellow fire breathing Americans than Chinavirus anyday. Each man has the right to do what he wants with his hard earned cash, so ETTO. When I have bought Chinavirus products, many times the products don't last or break. Should of saved the money and bought right the first time. For what it's worth, I've had my radius for years now and they've been through -30F cold, banged in/out of trucks, seen hundreds of rounds of recoil including magnums, etc.... and they are still accurately ranging for me. FWIW, radius is American made. Again, just my $.02. View attachment 7578696
    Pulled the trigger on a radius today. Thanks. The other offerings do not do it for me, so i bought a hopefully lightly used radius.

Im going to offer a completely different solution that I think might just be the ticket, as the resident Raptar guru (and having held/tested/ upgraded over 30 units in the wild) I will be the first to say they are too damn expensive, Ive had all flavors of Raptar (ES, FP and FP S)... I would personally look at the pulsar axion xq LRF mini thermal monocular with LRF. Im picking one up here soon, 1500 meter rangefinder and its a thermal monocular that fits in the palm of your hands. With that said when I need to call in airstrikes on coyotes & foxes at extended ranges I use the FLIR RECON V. Only thing with the recon V is every minute its on is a $$$ expensive minute as core rebuilds on cooled thermals don't come cheap.
    Huh, damn good idea. But i have spent my money, but i do like that idea.

Reactions: Eliteuas

Now, there are a few other options in same price category, that appear to be Chinavirus produced. I personally don't care if it's double the price tag, I'm choosing not to buy their $hit. But, I choose to vote with my wallet when I can. I would rather support fellow fire breathing Americans than Chinavirus anyday. Each man has the right to do what he wants with his hard earned cash, so ETTO. When I have bought Chinavirus products, many times the products don't last or break. Should of saved the money and bought right the first time. For what it's worth, I've had my radius for years now and they've been through -30F cold, banged in/out of trucks, seen hundreds of rounds of recoil including magnums, etc.... and they are still accurately ranging for me. FWIW, radius is American made. Again, just my $.02. View attachment 7578696

That pic belongs in the AI and zco threads just saying.... Badass homie

Pulled the trigger on a radius today. Thanks. The other offerings do not do it for me, so i bought a hopefully lightly used radius.
    I doubt you will be disappointed. I've had three or four, all great units. For unknown distance long range night shooting, I would be lost without it. When Brownells was blowing them out for ~$360 a piece, I should've bought more. Hindsight is 2020.

I use a leica and hold it over the opposite eye from the 14

Start "scan" mode

The eye with the 14 can see what the laser is hitting, and the red illuminated display is plain to see with my
    Excuse my ignorance but are you talking about a regular daytime rangefinder? I've had a leica 2800.com. for a bit but I have only been using it to learn to judge distances rather than any long range shooting applications. I don't know if mine has a scan feature and I've only ever just turned it on and hit the range button. I'm assuming the scan is a continuous beam so you can spot it. I'd never thought of using it with my NV but it would save some $ even if its just serviceable.

Biggest thing people realize when ranging at night is they can't see shit, even with a clip on.

Sure you can see...something? Maybe? What is it?

This then shows the need for a non shit illuminator. Have a spotter and/or second shooter? Well, now you need a laser for target designation because if you thought shit like 'its 10 yards to the right of that tree' during the day was awesome, its 10x as fantastic in the fucking dark. Stay away from 'thermal only' as thermal doesn't see IR and designating things to someone using only thermal is useless.

If you know what you're doing and have a partner that does as well, you can get on and engage targets at night faster than you can during the day utilizing these things.

The other secret fun fact noone realizes is, with some projectile types, if you sight in your illuminator to be on/above your bullets path, the IR will get a reflection off of the rear of the projectile giving you 'trace' that is basically like a tracer round.

Can you range at night with just a radius? Sure. But you'll have all sorts of other shotcomings.

If I'm alone, Ill have a fullpower RAPTAR on the gun as I can range and illuminate for PID by myself. Ballistics 'glowing' armboard on my left wrist and I'm shooting at the target within a few seconds.

If I have a spotter, Ill have maybe the RAPTAR but usually a PEQ15 on the gun for illumination (PID and trace) as well as laser designation purposes (i.e. I see something I want looked at, move an element to a set spot, reference a specific area, etc). Spotter will either have a spotting scope with a PVS30 and PLRF15 linked to the Trimble and PEQ15 on it -or- if we don't want to break down to put that all together because of time constraints or shorter distances, we machined a mount on top of the PLRF15 for a PEQ15 and he puts the lock ring for the PVS14 on it. He can then see in NV, through the PLRF15C and can designate/laser anything via a pressure pad all in the size of a binocular.

Biggest thing people realize when ranging at night is they can't see shit, even with a clip on.

Sure you can see...something? Maybe? What is it?

This then shows the need for a non shit illuminator. Have a spotter and/or second shooter? Well, now you need a laser for target designation because if you thought shit like 'its 10 yards to the right of that tree' during the day was awesome, its 10x as fantastic in the fucking dark. Stay away from 'thermal only' as thermal doesn't see IR and designating things to someone using only thermal is useless.

If you know what you're doing and have a partner that does as well, you can get on and engage targets at night faster than you can during the day utilizing these things.

The other secret fun fact noone realizes is, with some projectile types, if you sight in your illuminator to be on/above your bullets path, the IR will get a reflection off of the rear of the projectile giving you 'trace' that is basically like a tracer round.

Can you range at night with just a radius? Sure. But you'll have all sorts of other shotcomings.

If I'm alone, Ill have a fullpower RAPTAR on the gun as I can range and illuminate for PID by myself. Ballistics 'glowing' armboard on my left wrist and I'm shooting at the target within a few seconds.

If I have a spotter, Ill have maybe the RAPTAR but usually a PEQ15 on the gun for illumination (PID and trace) as well as laser designation purposes (i.e. I see something I want looked at, move an element to a set spot, reference a specific area, etc). Spotter will either have a spotting scope with a PVS30 and PLRF15 linked to the Trimble and PEQ15 on it -or- if we don't want to break down to put that all together because of time constraints or shorter distances, we machined a mount on top of the PLRF15 for a PEQ15 and he puts the lock ring for the PVS14 on it. He can then see in NV, through the PLRF15C and can designate/laser anything via a pressure pad all in the size of a binocular.
    I get it, the raptar is kinda an all in one. You pay to play. Having 10 things hanging all over your rifle or helmet gets old fast.

So the Trybe and Sector F1 are all manufactured by our commie friends in the PRC?

Excuse my ignorance but are you talking about a regular daytime rangefinder? I've had a leica 2800.com. for a bit but I have only been using it to learn to judge distances rather than any long range shooting applications. I don't know if mine has a scan feature and I've only ever just turned it on and hit the range button. I'm assuming the scan is a continuous beam so you can spot it. I'd never thought of using it with my NV but it would save some $ even if its just serviceable.
    Yes
    A regular daytime range finder... any that use a red illuminated display anyway (the ones that just show up black won't be visible with your naked eye)

For the leica I believe you are just going to hold down the button vs tap it and you'll go into "scan". It won't be a continuous beam, but more like a pulse every second. What you'll see is when the pulse hits something... So you use the 14 to walk the pulse onto whatever you are trying to range, and once you hit the target to be ranged... you can either let go of button, or just switch focus back to the eye looking through the rangefinder.. and the last update will the range of whatever you saw the pulse hit

Normally I use this when I'm setting up to scan tree lines so I can make myself a mental (or actual if needed) range card

It works great..if you have articulating binos just flip one up while you scan.

Wish they still made it!!

I usually recon my hunting areas and range points during the day that I can use as reference points at night.

Yep, UKD long range night shooting is made far easier with that little gem.
    It might sound like a waste of time, but we had a lot of fun at dusk with the Radius zeroed on top of my Bushnell Legend T 15-45 seeing how far we could range while drinking beer :cool: We were able to get well over 3k yards CONSISTENTLY. Whoever guesses closest to the actual value wins. Water towers, silos, telephone poles, etc, good times!

Well, you'd have to ask SICO CEO to get the real answer, but since IDK I will speculate :D

When the Radius first came out, I think a bunch of ELR guys bought 'em up ... the main complaint was "they won't hold zero" ... and the complaints were so loud and numerous, that within the year Brownell's had dropped the shown price on their website to $350 !!!
    They were THROWING them away. And that killed it ... and few months later the SICO website changed and the Radius was shoved to the side. The "Radius II" project was cancelled.

Then along come the night shooters ... and as the ELR guys start unloading, we started buying. The night hunters figured out the units would work well for their use case and weren't having a problem with "holding zero" ... so gradually the price rose.
    I got 3 of them, one for $450, one for $725 and the last one for $1100. I've seen them go on ebay more recently for $1300. I'd pay $1500 maybe $1800 for one if I thought it was in good shape.
    So the night shooters "brought the radius back" but too late to save it, it was already dead.

Well, you'd have to ask SICO CEO to get the real answer, but since IDK I will speculate :D

When the Radius first came out, I think a bunch of ELR guys bought 'em up ... the main complaint was "they won't hold zero" ... and the complaints were so loud and numerous, that within the year Brownell's had dropped the shown price on their website to $350 !!!
    They were THROWING them away. And that killed it ... and few months later the SICO website changed and the Radius was shoved to the side. The "Radius II" project was cancelled.

Then along come the night shooters ... and as the ELR guys start unloading, we started buying. The night hunters figured out the units would work well for their use case and weren't having a problem with "holding zero" ... so gradually the price rose.
    I got 3 of them, one for $450, one for $725 and the last one for $1100. I've seen them go on ebay more recently for $1300. I'd pay $1500 maybe $1800 for one if I thought it was in good shape.
    So the night shooters "brought the radius back" but too late to save it, it was already dead.
    This makes the most sense to me.