• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ranging reticle and rotating body

pdice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2010
Does anyone have experience with a ranging reticle like the one from vortex and a spotting scope that rotates? What happens when you rotate the body, how do you ensure that the reticle is perpendicular with the ground?

Re: ranging reticle and rotating body

PD,
Just get the scope as close to vertical as you can and snug it down. The reticle really needs to be perpendicular to the traget when you are attempting to estimate range using the mil or moa scale and not the ground. So if you are ranging an ipsc style target and it is leaning to the left a bit you'll want to line the reticle up so the long axis and short axis match the tilt of the target in order to get an accurate mil reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PD,
Just get the scope as close to vertical as you can and snug it down. The reticle really needs to be perpendicular to the traget when you are attempting to estimate range using the mil or moa scale and not the ground. So if you are ranging an ipsc style target and it is leaning to the left a bit you'll want to line the reticle up so the long axis and short axis match the tilt of the target in order to get an accurate mil reading. </div></div>

I'm actually planning on using it not vertical, so it sounds like I am out of luck. I am placing it on a mount next to another optic, and I need the eyepiece at about a 45 degree angle. I may just have to range with my scope instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have experience with a ranging reticle like the one from vortex and a spotting scope that rotates? What happens when you rotate the body, how do you ensure that the reticle is perpendicular with the ground? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PD,
Just get the scope as close to vertical as you can and snug it down. The reticle really needs to be perpendicular to the traget when you are attempting to estimate range using the mil or moa scale and not the ground. So if you are ranging an ipsc style target and it is leaning to the left a bit you'll want to line the reticle up so the long axis and short axis match the tilt of the target in order to get an accurate mil reading. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually planning on using it not vertical, so it sounds like I am out of luck. I am placing it on a mount next to another optic, and I need the eyepiece at about a 45 degree angle. I may just have to range with my scope instead. </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">pdice</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">(and anyone else interested in <span style="text-decoration: underline">a spotting scope with a MIL-based reticle that can be "squared" to the target regardless of the scope's postion within a rotating collar):</span></span></span>

You're not out-of-luck, unless you're dead-set on the Vortex. As I explained in my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope"</span></span> write-up, the (MIL-based) reticles in the Optolyth 30X and 45X Optolyth MIL Reticle Eyepieces rotate. The rotating reticle allows the user to rotate the reticle in the Eyepiece so that it is oriented perfectly "square" with the target, <span style="text-decoration: underline">something that IS NOT POSSIBLE with spotting scopes such as the Vortex Razor and Zeiss 65T/Zeiss 85T FLs' because the reticle are fixed (non-rotating).</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">Without the ability to rotate the reticle to "square" it with the target, the spotting scope itself must remain oriented so that the reticle remains square with the target. This typically requires that the spotting scope remain positioned with the controls at 12:00. This is inconvenient and impractical with an angled spotter.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">pdice</span></span> - since you replied <span style="font-style: italic">"I had a chance yesterday to look through the 20-60 eyepiece at the range and was very impressed"</span> in my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope"</span></span> thread, hopefully you actually read my write-up. The Optolyth Eyepieces with MIL Reticle does exactly what you need. Maybe you didn't understand that the Optolyth (MIL-based) reticle rotates within the Eyepiece, allowing the reticle to always remain "squared" in relation to the target. Or, perhaps you're looking at the Vortex because of the price differential. I've looked through a [20-60X85mm] Razor HD Spotter (and through a [5-20X60mm] Razor 5-20X scope) and IMHO the Optolyth Compact's optics are better than the Vortex Razor Spotter. Coupled with the Optolyth's rotating reticle Eyepiece the price is more than equitable and fair.

Or, maybe you just want to <span style="font-style: italic">"buy American"</span>. I like to buy American-made stuff too, but if the product doesn't do what I want it to do and/or the quality isn't what I'm looking for I wait until I can buy what I need/want. Below are three photos from my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope"</span></span> write-up. Note that while the spotting scope has been oriented to about 45-degrees within it's Collar (so the Eyepiece is also oriented to 45-degrees), <span style="font-style: italic">the reticle remains perfectly square to the target, thanks to the rotaing reticle in the Optolyth Eyepiece.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + G2285MB Adapter and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is
set-up to the Left of the shooter/spotter. The spotting scope has been rotated to the Right within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's
Reticle has been rotated to the Left to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactRSRARotatedRightCU8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactRSFARotatedRightCU8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Through-the-scope photo of Optolyth 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece. The "+" at -5 MILs' Elevation is at 1,032 yards:</span></span>
DSCN24938x6.jpg

Keith

Keith,

Have you had any problems with mirage with a 30x eyepiece? My only concern is having no way to reduce mirage because I have a fixed eyepiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A64,
Great write up and thanks for the heads up on the scope. I'm goona have to check that piece of gear out. </div></div>
Thanks for the kind words, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ssatt68</span></span>. You should definitely check-out the S80 HD Compact - especially if you can play with both the [20-60X] Variable Eyepiece and the [30X WA] Rotating MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Together, they make a very sweet set-up.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

Have you had any problems with mirage with a 30x eyepiece? My only concern is having no way to reduce mirage because I have a fixed eyepiece. </div></div>
Forgive me, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Jong</span></span>, but I find that question to be rather silly. While I haven't had any mirage "problems" with the (fixed) 30X Eyepiece, its' all relative. 30X is always going to <span style="font-style: italic">magnify</span> the heat waves more than a variable set to a lower magnification setting or a lower magnification fixed Eyepiece will, and mirage cuts both ways.

BTW, the through-the-scope photos I posted in this thread and in my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope "</span></span> thread were shot freehand (without support) while trying to hold the camera at the correct distance from the Eyepiece for correct eye relief, in summer heat as the sun was going down. Point being, that the through-the-scope photos are "muddied" by hand shake, mirage, off-axis light, and low light as the sun was setting and the image quality is still pretty damn good.

If you don't need or want a MIL Reticle I would go for the 20-60X [Variable] Eyepiece for versatility so you can use <30X magnification for the widest FOV, but crank the magnification up as much as mirage will allow for ID purposes. But the MIL reticle is really great if your shooting with someone who doesn't have a MIL-based scope and you want another set of eyes on-target besides your's.

The ideal situation is to have both the 20-60X Variable and the 30X WA MIL Eyepiece, but if its' one or the other I would get the 20-60X Variable first, then get he 30X WA MIL Eyepiece if and when funds allow. Seeing as your location is listed as Alaska (part time) if I could swing it I would probably bite the bullet and get both Eyepieces at the same time. Hope this helps.

Keith

Aries,

I have no idea how it is a silly question. I have never used a fixed power spotting scope and was looking for an answer. I don't get to shoot as much as I want to because I work overseas and don't pay attention when I do shoot what power I am on with my variable scope. I do want a mil reticle but there are only a few options out there. So here is a nice and simple question for you to answer.

If you have a 30x fixed eyepiece and only that, could you be possibly fucked with mirage and not be able to see anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries,

I have no idea how it is a silly question. I have never used a fixed power spotting scope and was looking for an answer. I don't get to shoot as much as I want to because I work overseas and don't pay attention when I do shoot what power I am on with my variable scope.</div></div>
It doesn't matter whether you have used a fixed magnification spotting or riflescope before. The key is, <span style="font-style: italic">based upon the typical environmental conditions where you shoot and on your experience, how low (or high) must you turn your magnification to in order to be able to see through the mirage to spot and call hits, misses, and see trace?</span> You said you <span style="font-style: italic">"don't pay attention when I do shoot what power I am on with my variable scope"</span>, so we have no idea what your magnification threshhold is. However, even if you did pay attention to what magnification your scope is on while shooting its' only a guess if the 30X will bother you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do want a mil reticle but there are only a few options out there. So here is a nice and simple question for you to answer.

If you have a 30x fixed eyepiece and only that, could you be possibly fucked with mirage and not be able to see anything? </div></div>
Given the high temperatures possible around the world (one of your locations is listed as "Texas"), this answer is an obvious <span style="font-style: italic">"Yes"</span>. The clarity of an Optolyth HD Compact is better than <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">any</span></span> variable riflescope made, but heat waves magnified 30X can render a scope useless. Most reticle-equipped Eyepieces are 30X, and as you mentioned <span style="font-style: italic">"there are only a few options out there"</span>.

And even if mirage isn't a problem, for some terrain 30X is too much magnification and can make finding and centering a target difficult. A 30X fixed Eyepiece is an excellent option, but it isn't the best for <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> and it can be a liability at times. Thats' why in my previous reply to you I said <span style="font-style: italic">"The ideal situation is to have both the 20-60X Variable and the 30X WA MIL Eyepiece, but if its' one or the other I would get the 20-60X Variable first, then get he 30X WA MIL Eyepiece if and when funds allow."</span>

Again, I hope this helps.

Keith