• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos RC helis, other hobby

Kiba

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Central CA
My other addiction... RC helis. In the pic is my Mikado Logo 600SE and my Compass 6HV.

Re: RC helis, other hobby

Man those are sweet. I love to see the helis in action at our local strip. The guys that run them here are a trip to watch. They fly them anyway but straight. I would die to try one out but I can't stand the thought of crashing it. My candy ass will stick to planes and trucks till I grow up lol.

I love flying R/C too. Unless you can think in 4 dimensions at the same time, can react to all the controls being backwards depending on the helis orientation, and can fathom lowering the throttle stick to go up while upside down, then I would suggest sticking to planes.

I like flying my Blade 400 because its cheap to fix if I crash it
smile.gif
(Only done that once luckily). I usually stick to planes. Just finished a 30% with smoke and it they fly great when the planes are that big.

I know what you mean. 4 channels is enough for me. I started with a used trainer from the local hobby shop and got the hang of it then switched up to a .42ci sport but since I moved a few years ago its only been out maybe three times. I don't have room to have easy access now so its all dust covered in the corner. My trucks catch hell all the time though. I keep two in the toolbox of my pickup.

I've gotten decent at helis, doing loops, rolls, and a few other things I dont know the name of but resemble funnels. Once you get past the nerve racking part its fun.

Man, those are awesome. I've always wanted to fly r/c planes and helicopters but there really isn't anywhere around here to fly them that i know of. And they are a bit expensive for me..

now that looks like fun... i've always been infatuated with RC airplanes, finally got one for christmas one year, didn't read instructions, never flew one before, got it in the air for the first 75 yards, pushed the wrong button, and left hook into the frozen tundra... thats all she wrote.

They make flight simulators on the computer you can get. Much less expensive than crashing all the time. But thats half the fun on the sim
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make flight simulators on the computer you can get. Much less expensive than crashing all the time. But thats half the fun on the sim
smile.gif
</div></div>

Great advice here!

I taught myself hovering, forward flight/sideways orientation, and basic flips/rolls on my 450 without a simulator mostly because I was stubborn and convinced myself I didn't need a sim. A very expensive way to learn as I made LOTS of mistakes during any orientation other than tail in or side in and crashed it frequently. It wasn't unusual for me to crash 3-4 times during a weekend.

I picked up the sim and within two weeks using it every night I had all my orientations sorted out and was flying nose in, side in, complete circles, inverted, etc. Sure, I was more nervous flying the real thing than the sim but the sim really is the best way to practice as it builds muscle memory and orientation recognition for the real thing and it wasn't long until my confidence level increased and I was doing everything with the real heli that I was doing with the sim.

The one thing I'm still not 100% comfortable with is inverted backwards flight yet with the real helis (it's not a problem on the sim with the extra courage granted by a reset button) but I'm getting there. At this point I can fly hurricanes, loops, rolls, flips, rainbows, funnels, tictocs, sloppy piroflips, etc. I really like "big sky" flying and smooth aerobatics over "smack" 3D but tend to mix a little of everything in each flight. Getting better at piro moves are my next thing (piro funnels, piro flips, piro tictocs, etc.) They're getting there but as of now I'm keeping them confined to the sim, I still screw them up enough on the sim that I'm not going to try them at a low altitude with the real helis.

Lot of fun, but not for the faint of heart/wallet. One little mistake on the sticks or a mechanical failure can be rather expensive...

Nice toys i have one and cant fly it and don't even know where to start,will you guys give me some tips, ive had mine 6yrs it just sits in my office for ooos and ahhhs. im new to this post jus making friends.