• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2

I had an old one I bought in 1976 and I didn't use it much because it "pushed" brass into the primer pocket because it was so roughly made.

swagea_zps3de997ca.jpg

So I bought a new one a few months back and it ruined a lot of primer pockets because the diameter of the swager was too large.

Below the older unit is on the left and the new unit is on the right, both are for small primer pockets. The new unit is larger on the tip than the diameter of the primer pocket, meaning I ended up with oversized primer pockets on every case I swaged.

swedge_zpse6271d36.jpg

Below the new units diameter was larger than the "normal" diameter of the primer pocket. The swaging is to be done near the base of the unit and "NOT" the tip.

swedge_zpsf50c42e4.jpg

Do yourself a favor and go buy the Dillon Super swager and be done with it, you will be money ahead in the long run and have top of the line equipment that does the best job.

If you only do a few cases then get the RCBS reamer below made for the case prep station, it is tapered and only removes the crimp and bevels the primer pocket mouth. If you have to do a lot of cases your fingers will get very sore holding the cases and you will wish you had the Dillon unit.

reamertips002_zps4ce4694b.jpg

Did I tell you I'm saving up for the Dillon Super swager and I'm tired of having fingers so sore you can't pick your own nose.

I had three five gallon buckets of .223/5.56 brass to do and decided to be cheap and do it the hard way.
bangHead_zps24aecf27.gif

Last edited:
FWIW, my recent RCBS swage set is smooth and measures .210" in diameter for large, and .173" for small.

I had an old one I bought in 1976 and I didn't use it much because it "pushed" brass into the primer pocket because it was so roughly made.

swagea_zps3de997ca.jpg

So I bought a new one a few months back and it ruined a lot of primer pockets because the diameter of the swager was too large.

Below the older unit is on the left and the new unit is on the right, both are for small primer pockets. The new unit is larger on the tip than the diameter of the primer pocket, meaning I ended up with oversized primer pockets on every case I swaged.

swedge_zpse6271d36.jpg

Below the new units diameter was larger than the "normal" diameter of the primer pocket. The swaging is to be done near the base of the unit and "NOT" the tip.

swedge_zpsf50c42e4.jpg

Do yourself a favor and go buy the Dillon Super swager and be done with it, you will be money ahead in the long run and have top of the line equipment that does the best job.

If you only do a few cases then get the RCBS reamer below made for the case prep station, it is tapered and only removes the crimp and bevels the primer pocket mouth. If you have to do a lot of cases your fingers will get very sore holding the cases and you will wish you had the Dillon unit.

Did I tell you I'm saving up for the Dillon Super swager and I'm tired of having fingers so sore you can't pick your own nose.

I had three five gallon buckets of .223/5.56 brass to do and decided to be cheap and do it the hard way.
bangHead_zps24aecf27.gif

Since I'm just starting out loading, and at low volume, I don't mind doing it by hand if it is a hundred rounds here or there, but definitely saving for the dillion super swager once I get more brass.

Never had a problem with the RCBS, in fact I've used it to tighten loose primer pockets back up. Good piece of kit.

swagea_zps3de997ca.jpg

swedge_zpse6271d36.jpg

swedge_zpsf50c42e4.jpg

bangHead_zps24aecf27.gif

That much brass I would be saving for a dillon 1050. I have 1 bucket and am considering it. After swaging 3000 9mm I have been dreading starting on the 5.56.

If you buy the Dillon S1050 swage you will be golden. Its kind of expensive but comes with reloading stations as an accessory.

Last edited:
I have the RCBS swaging die and use it on my LC 556 brass and haven't had any problem with ruining primer pockets.Good solid tool.

Sent from my SCH-I605