• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re barrel tikka or just buy a new setup. What would you do?

EKIM1428

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Long Island
I have a tikka t3 lite in 308 that I want to do a build off of. The problem is the skinny barrel and the lack of good smiths willing to rebarrel a tikka that I'm aware of. If I don't use it for a build I'm going to keep it as a hunting gun although I have others for that purpose. So the question is, would you bother with the hassle? I'm considering just going out and buying a rem 700 action and starting over since everyone will do 700 work and has 700 parts, but that just seems like taking a step back to take a step forward. I don't want to sell the tikka either because I love the smooth action on it. I would just buy an AI, but 4k in one shot will start a battle with the wife that Im not willing to deal with right now.

Build, it will be worth it, what you thinking?

I'm thinking manners t4a after I find a heavy barrel
EGW base
Not sure about bottom metal yet
vortex viper pst in seekins rings
threaded for a brake

Which of course is part of the problem because my options are very limited with tikka actions.

You could put it in a whiskey 3 chassis stock see how it shots and then re-barrel it if you aren't satisfied.

I'm thinking manners t4a after I find a heavy barrel
EGW base
Not sure about bottom metal yet
vortex viper pst in seekins rings
threaded for a brake

Which of course is part of the problem because my options are very limited with tikka actions.

Sounds good to me, they're are quite a few dBm systems for t3 now

Why not use the factory dbm system? And what smiths have you asked about performing this work? I doubt any of the "good" smiths will tell you no...whatever "good smith" means.

I'm doing a tikka build right now, my smith, who I think is "good", has no problem with tikkas. There also is no shortage of aftermarket stuff for tikkas.

Why not use the factory dbm system? And what smiths have you asked about performing this work? I doubt any of the "good" smiths will tell you no...whatever "good smith" means.

I'm doing a tikka build right now, my smith, who I think is "good", has no problem with tikkas. There also is no shortage of aftermarket stuff for tikkas.

The biggest problem (as I understand it) is not all smiths are set up to cut metric threads. But I agree with everyone here, build off the Tikka. It'll be well worth it in the end.

I would go for it. The Tikka action is one of the best IMHO.

Here's a Tikka T3 that was rebarreled in 6.5x47L by Benchmark Barrels. It's a great shooter. You might want to contact them.

i-tfXCDZR-L.jpg

The biggest problem (as I understand it) is not all smiths are set up to cut metric threads. But I agree with everyone here, build off the Tikka. It'll be well worth it in the end.

The threads are not metric. 1"-12 IIRC. Build it you won't regret it.

Ive done 15 or so T3's and they are not metric. In my opinion they are far supperior to a 700 in build quality. I would never take a 700 over a tikka. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the tikka. However, the lite is an awesome walking around the woods rifle. If you have the money to do another build, you may consider building on a second t3 action so you still have your t3 lite for when you want a "hunting" rifle.
I watched my dad make a 1 shot kill, DRT, on a cull 8pt whitetail at 540 yards, with a tikka t3 light in .338 federal that I bought for him. Im an idiot for not getting 20 of them, since Sports South had them on closeout for $256! Is that not insane? Of the things I could do over in this life, failing to buy a crapload of them at that price is second only to shooting that old lady in knee.

Im not a 700 hater by the way, I just like the fact that it actually looks like a machinist made the T3.

Ive done 15 or so T3's and they are not metric. In my opinion they are far supperior to a 700 in build quality. I would never take a 700 over a tikka. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the tikka. However, the lite is an awesome walking around the woods rifle. If you have the money to do another build, you may consider building on a second t3 action so you still have your t3 lite for when you want a "hunting" rifle.
I watched my dad make a 1 shot kill, DRT, on a cull 8pt whitetail at 540 yards, with a tikka t3 light in .338 federal that I bought for him. Im an idiot for not getting 20 of them, since Sports South had them on closeout for $256! Is that not insane? Of the things I could do over in this life, failing to buy a crapload of them at that price is second only to shooting that old lady in knee.

Im not a 700 hater by the way, I just like the fact that it actually looks like a machinist made the T3.

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks. Seems Tikka's are 1"x16 thread.

On a different note, a precision rifle smith/shop (LRP Arms in South Jordan) just opened up about 5 minutes from my house. Apparently, they do work on Tikka's. :D

Last edited:
Here's a Tikka T3 that was rebarreled in 6.5x47L by Benchmark Barrels. It's a great shooter. You might want to contact them.

i-tfXCDZR-L.jpg

+1 for Benchmark Barrels. They built my Edge and it's a fawking hammer. 5/8" groups at 300 yards. Chris and the guys there are some nice folks too. They walked me through their shop during business hours and showed me every step of the process do I was familiar and comfortable with the work they were doing. In my book, that goes a long way.

Don't forget to let BoltFluter put some bling on the bolt too!

I have a tikka t3 that I built off of. It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I sent it to Long Rifles Inc with chad Dixon for the barrel work. It's a #7 contour Rock Creek blank 1:10 twist 5r. Chad used his "sniper reamer" for the chamber. He crowned it to 11 degrees and threaded for a can. barrel 22" overall length. Because a #7 is a little larger than the action itself he had to turn the barrel down to match the action. Great job done. Rifle shoots exceptionally well paired up with a KRG W3. Would recommend building one up! Chad has no problem threading one up to tikka actions with his top notch equipment.

I own 2 Tikka's. One stock Lightweight and one that sits in an XLR chassis. I can't see myself ever buying a 700 after owning a Tikka.

I have nearly 4k rounds through my Tikka T3 Tactical still is a TAC driver. I was one of the 1st Manner T-4's (Awesome stock) and I have the CDI bottom metal to run the AI mags. It is my favorite rifle in my collection and I would not hesitate building off a T3 chasis