• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

READE RANGE "SUMMER" SNIPER CHALLENGE ,OPEN

miker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2002
Emporium,Pa
DATE: Aug. 11 & 12

WHERE: Reade Range, 1257 Wipper Rd. Allemans, Pa.

DIRECTIONS: on website www.readerange.org

START TIME: Be on range by 7:15/7:30 latest, safety briefing at 7:30, match starts at 8:00 AM

ROUND COUNT: 150 is adequate

RIFLES: "NO MAGNUMS" & No 50 cals

COURSE OF FIRE: Only known by match director

RULES: Must use empty chamber flags, I will have for sale $2.00
Anything you can or want to carry, Not permitted to return to your vehicle.

ENTRY FEE: Preregistration only, $80.00 MONEY ORDERS,No personal checks

SEND TO: Mike Rodich 762 Sizerville Rd. Emporium,Pa. 15834

Taking first 32 shooters, Sponsor shooters are guaranteed spot for contributing to prize table

CAMPING: free on range, no hook ups

T SHIRTS: $15.00, Please include number and sizes

miker

Re: READE RANGE "SUMMER" SNIPER CHALLENGE ,OPEN

Wow Mike--I gotta leave the 7wsm at home this time??

Miker is getting tired of having his steel destroyed!!
Will miss this for the 1st time in 6 years, you guys have fun and be safe.

I hope to be there.... Sending in my check tomorrow....
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Miker is getting tired of having his steel destroyed!!
Will miss this for the 1st time in 6 years, you guys have fun and be safe. </div></div>

Heck Sam, as little as I have been shooting, Mike can rest assured that his steel will be safe from me...even if I am shooting AP slugs!!

You and little you will be missed.

Looking forward to my first Reade range shoot. Money order goes out this AM
Mike

Thanks miker. Looking forward to another great match.

Miker
I am putting my check in the mail today.
Thanks
Sean

Miker

Check's in the mail, I didn't realize it was that time already!
Let me know when you're going out to work on stuff, I'll come give you a hand!

Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: miker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RIFLES: "NO MAGNUMS" </div></div>

Hey Mike- Is the "no magnums" to save steel? If so, how about a 3000fps velocity restriction instead
smile.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to drop from the match.... The economy gets to bite me in the ass yet again!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: miker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey Mike- Is the "no magnums" to save steel? If so, how about a 3000fps velocity restriction instead
smile.gif
</div></div>

Last match there were targets broken by 300WM's with the 208 Amax @ 2900fps

Will see how this match goes, Maybe I should just make it harder????

miker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: miker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

smile.gif
</div></div>

Last match there were targets broken by 300WM's with the 208 Amax @ 2900fps

</div></div>

The target face wasn't damaged. That's not a hot 300 load at all.

--Fargo007

So what broke? The target itself or the stand?

Hey Freddy- Please clean out your inbox!!

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what broke? The target itself or the stand?

Hey Freddy- Please clean out your inbox!!

Eric </div></div>

The support structure for it.

Not saying it was a HOT load, the support structure for targets isn't hurt by a 243 going 3300fps but that load will beat the snot out of the target face inside of 400yd. Conversely the 300WM or bigger, high impact energy rounds at those same distances likely won't touch the target face but the energy dumped from a 200+gr bullet is rough on the support structure.

There's really no way around buying/making quality targets unless we're going to play "caliber wars". Can't skimp on the plate or the way it is supported.

Inbox cleaned. Thanks for the heads up.

I look at it this way - .300WM is a US Military caliber now, and is in widespread use. You could say it's going to be <span style="font-weight: bold">THE</span> US Military bolt gun caliber for the foreseeable future.

Those were good quality targets, and the one that I broke the mount on (by hitting the target face dead center mind you) was at 200Y from our pos. All targets eventually break in some way.

I would bet a 6.5x284 or other type of wildcat screamer would give that target at that range a run for its money too. And that's a <span style="font-style: italic">"NON MAGNUM." </span>

Gonna shoot 260 or a 'now under construction' 243 race gun next time anyway. I was only using the 3-hun because my 260 load wasn't shooting well. It's a lot harder shooting a big gun in a fast 'n furious match like Reade with a lot of movers and quick ten shot strings anyway. <span style="font-style: italic">Au contraire</span>, in long range UKD matches big guns are really at their best.

--Fargo007

I doubt that a screaming 6.5-284 is going to cause the structural impact damage that a 300 with a 50% heavier bullet going 96% of the velocity. The momentum difference involved is enormous.

One could <span style="font-style: italic">ALSO</span> argue that the 338LM is a US Military standard caliber too, as it is with a number of other European militaries and the US SO Tier 1 agencies. A 300WM vs. 338LM comparison is a no brainer for energy on target too.

Velocity kills steel at the interface (target face divots, pock marks or penetration) which is why M193 ammo < 200yd will damage AR500.

The target hangars are much more dependent upon the mass * velocity that impacts it. The little "race gun" calibers like a 6mm something just doesn't have the mass on tap that any 30cal does.

Perhaps a solution that works without restricting calibers, complaining on broken targets, or arguing about who has what standard is to simply keep steel outside of 300yd and be done with it.

I've been after the MD's and instructors at my home range to keep AR15's off the steel plates inside of 200yd and every time my advice is dismissed the club has another shredded target from M193's leaving bee stings all over it, they get progressively worse and the club (ie the membership) ends up paying for it in the end. Then the complaints flow back to the people in charge of the club, but not the people who dismissed the advice to begin with.

Wear and tear is normal, but known destructive paths should be mitigated. If we know that there is an issue under certain conditions, simply avoiding those conditions keeps the relative cost of this sport down for everyone and helps to keep us shooters welcome at clubs that may not be so positive on "how" we shoot precision rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt that a screaming 6.5-284 is going to cause the structural impact damage that a 300 with a 50% heavier bullet going 96% of the velocity. </div></div>

I do agree, but damaged is damaged, whether it's a broken weld, a hole punched through the plate, or a crater that renders the target unserviceable. Both of those guns inside 200Y are going to cause steel targets some trouble. My point is that one escapes a "NO MAGNUMS" proscription, and one does not. There are probably other caliber examples that could be put forward too.

--Fargo007

Time to break out the 30 06 AI and 208s.

Oh shoot...probably should not say that as it invites Josh to pen another thesis...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to break out the 30 06 AI and 208s.</div></div>Maybe just deduct fifteen million points from the shooter with the magnum, and give those points to the other shooter instead?!
grin.gif

Well.. It was just a thought.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to break out the 30 06 AI and 208s.

Oh shoot...probably should not say that as it invites Josh to pen another thesis...
smile.gif
</div></div>

I loves me some 30-06 and 208's....

Ok, Where do we stand on this? Are magnums out for this match?

Not that it matters much to me, I'll shoot my 308, but wouldn't mind shooting my 7wsm..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif
</div></div>

I really enjoyed reading Josh's thesis - great discussion on important topic. I know lots of MDs are debating these very issues. Interesting to hear the various points. thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, Where do we stand on this? Are magnums out for this match?

Not that it matters much to me, I'll shoot my 308, but wouldn't mind shooting my 7wsm..

</div></div>

As of now, Miker hasn't retracted the "no Magnums" statement so it's safe to assume the 7 WSM isn't welcome.

Perhaps for the close range targets we use a target that allows pass throughs such as the orange box targets that Fred and Mike use at their Black Hat matches. This would eliminate the argument between what round is causing more damage to the target face or support framework the magnums or a hot 6.5. The auto sealing targets are fairly inexpensive and I believe a place called Wal-Mart sells a round 10 inch diameter target for around $20.00. Just my input now back to the banter.

You can always bring your magnums down to Maryland and shoot. We ain't scared.

miker let me know if there are still spots open i will send payment out asap

thanks Ben

Miker, are you going to have t-shirts available for purchase at the match? looking forward to seeing friends and shooting the challenging stages!

Will a final roster be shared so we know whether or not you recieved our money and that we are on the list?

Thank you.

What 25MAN said, Thanks

Yes , there are still some open spots, am getting caught up with my PM's, I have responded to most,

miker

If anyone is interested in a Mcree stock, I'll have one with me that I'm selling. It's for a Rem 700 SA footprint. Comes with 1 AI 5 rd mag. Folding stock.

Send me a PM if interested.

Am leaving about 6 am., Will be on range a little after 8, Will do some set up ,then range can go hot,

See you all soon

miker

Good luck guys.

I've gotta sit this one out so that I can get the '57 Chevy back on the road.