• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Realistic Accuracy expectation with 50 cal

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
What kind of accuracy ( MOA at 200 yards) can you expect from a 50 cal with military issued ammo?

What is the best case with handloads?

What is the velocity and projectile used for the limited range ammo?

Re: Realistic Accuracy expectation with 50 cal

Accuracy with any 50 BMG ammo will not normally be anything to brag about at 100 and 200 yards. These big bullets need at least about 300 yards for the yaw and pitch to stabalize. Do your load work-up and accuracy testing at 300 or 400 yards to get an idea of the normal accuracy you can expect with that gun and ammo conbination.

As with all things...the answers to all of your questions are "IT DEPENDS!"

It depends on things like...

What rifle, what sights/optics, etc.?

What specific ammo ("military issued" means a LOT of different things from basic M2 or M33 Ball to some highly specialized and highly accurate rounds)?

Has the shooter got any training or does he/she have a clue how to properly operate the rifle, manage the recoil, etc.?

What do you mean when you say "the velocity and projectile used for the limited range ammo?" Are you talking about the M858 or M860 plastic/practice rounds?

Handloaded ammo, tailored specifically for a particular rifle, can be phenomenally accurate as long as the shooter does his/her part with a capable rifle.

All of this is basically hypothetical without more information though. One thing is pretty certain though...the .50 BMG is a far better long-range performer. Its not that a 50BMG cannot be incredibly accurate at 100-200yds. Its just that the bullet may experience some degree of yawing/rotating on its axis before fully "settling down."

I guess my question is can a 50 cal produce groups in a match grade weapon as good as other caliber cartridges in a similar set-up? I am looking at a best case scenario, highly qualified shooter ( not me ), match grade components, appropriate attention to detail, Match grade rifle or even a rail-gun. At 200 can you expect 1/4 MOA....

Then when you go to military grade ammo the stuff used by the 1400 - 2600 yard snipers...Is that 1/2 MOA ammo or better...What type of accuracy does the military specify when they buy rifles or components. Is the military spec for the rifles on-line where I can read it?

Third, the military ammo for limited range, I do not know the mil-spec # is it also as accurate at short ranges? 1/2 MOA or even 1/4? I cant imagine that if the limited range ammo is a plastic projectile that it would be as accurate.

A guy named Lee Rasmussen shot a 1.9557"/.1868 MOA group at 1000 yards.

He really could hit a deck of cards.

rasmussen05.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!
</div></div>

Not that impressive
80% or more of the guys selling rifles in the EE can do that all day with the rifle they are selling. Just ask them

Typically speaking M33 FMJ ammo (mil surp), you can expect about 2-3 MOA at very BEST. The AP rounds tend to be a bit more accurate. Also, what kind of rifle are you shooting? The semi auto Barrett vs. bolt action such as the Big Mac, Windrunner? With hand roll ammo and good projos such as the 750 AMAX, out of my Windrunner, you can certainly expect sub MOA. Hope that helps.

I can get under 3/4 of a minute with my M99 and 750gr Amax over 224gr of H50 loaded .015 from the lands. M33 shoots about 3-4 M.O.A. from my gun, though. The best I've ever seen from a Barrett 82 with Raufoss was about 2 MOA or so, but the raufoss makes up for some of that. "Close enough" is close enough.