• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors reasons for a suppressor

Re: reasons for a suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reasons: Sniping cats without one worries the neighbors...</div></div>

How about with 22 shorts, or CB caps. My father used to snipe cats in the backyard with a 22 rifle, over thirty years ago.

Here in south Texas, most people have their windows closed with the air conditioning running a lot of the year.

- Typical Recoil Reduction of 50%
(Yes, this is also achieved with the use of a brake, but this way you don't piss off your neighbors.)

- Reduction in sound signature
(The use of a sound suppressor allows minimal disturbance to anyone in the area and makes shooting that much easier because you don't have to worry about pissing off your Wife, Dog, or Neighbors.)

- Accuracy / Ammunition performance enhancement A properly mounted and tuned sound suppressor can increase the accuracy of a bolt action rifle in several ways.
First, barrel harmonics. When a load is developed for this setup, a suppressor gives similar benefits to barrel tuning devices that bench rest shooters use.
Second, bullet stability. When the bullet exits the muzzle, there is a bottle shaped charge of gas the envelops it.
A sound suppressor slowly strips this away without affecting the stability of the bullet.
(The Rebated Boat Tail Bullet design was invented specifically to combat the effect of propellant gasses at the muzzle.)
Finally, increased muzzle velocity. The additional volume of the sound suppressor essentially adds additional length to the barrel allowing for a more complete combustion of the propellant.

- Elimination of Muzzle Flash
(Due to the increased volume, a complete burn of all propellant is easily achieved.)

- Training benefit
(Whether it is a new shooter or experienced shooter, the reduction in noise and recoil equal a more comfortable range session and that inherently results in more effective training.)

- Pest Removal
(A subsonic load can be easily developed to allow for a virtually noiseless elimination of pests within 200 yards.)

- It's Cool...
(Let's face it, Silencers are cool. Chicks did em and Guys want em.)

- Why use one in competition?
Well, aside from all of the afore mentioned benefits, you would want the consistency of using a setup that you have trained with. Not to mention your fellow competitors will like you a lot more when you don't have a muzzle break blasting them in the face.

- But what about the extra weight?
If weight was a concern, that's what Titanium Cans are for. If it is too late for that, take your bipod off when you are doing positional shooting and you will never notice the difference.

- But what about the extra length?
Didn't you always want extra length?
smile.gif
If length is a problem, you can always cut down the barrel and develop a new load that accounts for this.

Because I am a free American. That ia all the reason I need.....
Guther

Why did man go to the moon? Why did we create the automobile? Why did we create the microchip? Or the jet engine? Or the airplane?
BECAUSE WE COULD!
Free men can make such choices, slaves can not.
Wish I lived in a free state......soon, but not soon enough.

As I live in Finland I hardly understand the defending of the supressors,mainly the need to defend it. Around here almost every hunter uses them, for all those nice reasons Dr.Phil listed and also becouse it helps keeping our hunting dogs hearing too.

And about prices...AU Jet-z compact supressor,beats the shit outta Surefire in terms of noise reduction,is about 15 centimeters long,weighs around 300g and costs around 300 euros. We don´t have taxes and they are sold over the counter without any licenses.

For 22lr´s the prices start around 20 euros and end in about 50 euros for stainless steel models.

And even with our share of green gunhaters,hardly anyone is hating silencers,though EU is trying to license them...
Though seems like it´s gonna end up to that,if you have license to own a gun,ye can buy a supressor for it without any other hassle.

And about LE using earmuffs, well,ya think it would be nice if -you- would be in receiving end for some reason,and becouse of muffs they wouldn´t be able to hear yer shout "I´m coming out,unarmed and calmly,no need to shoot meh pleaze?"

I just don´t really understand the hate. It doesn´t make a gun to be silent assassination tool,it just removes some of negative sides of using a modern day weapons.

Sorry bout ranting,ye americans just tend to cause it sometimes.

On most of the gun forums I post on (including this one) I have been called a potential criminal or idiot for discussing them. It is the strange attitude of American gun owners that keeps them illegal to own or use in many states.

I have been working for a few years to change the WA state law that bans silencer use on firearms. The attitude of the legislators mirrors that of Washington State gun owners. Most do not care, a few think silencers are illegal or immoral, and fewer still care enough to own or make them.

ETA; I do not get the "ear muffs are better" crap either. Silencers protect the hearing of the shooter and all those near by, whether they are wearing hearing protection or not.

Montturi, do not apoligize for your rant. Americans are a strange lot and just about anything you say about them will be true for some. But then diversity is one of the good things about the USA.

Ranb

my neighbor will be jealous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://guns.connect.fi/gow/highpow.html

bout a million good reasons in this article...my favorite is the noise reduction tho...

sorry to reopen the can of worms, just seems there lots of "uneducatednessness" going on!! ha

oh and +1 on chicks dig it </div></div>

No, chicks don't dig it. But you may get oooohh's and aaaaah's from the internet dorks.

Why?

Because in a perfect world, nothing, absolutely nothing that can damage one's hearing this fast, this permanently should ever go unresolved when such a potentially cheap, simple and elegant solution exists to eliminate, in its entirety, the risk and damage. To my mind, if at all possible, every single time you shoot, shoot suppressed.

Good friends don't let friends shoot rude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to seem stupid or anything because I might be missing a big reason. But what purpose does anyone not in the military or LE have with a silencer, if someone could list some reasons that would be great. </div></div>
======================================================================================

Well, I started reading this forum...big mistake....and I had a gun, a gun dealer -in Suppressors- wanted, so.....after his 2nd email plus the 'stored' info in my byte-brain: I blurted out w/o thinking: <span style="font-style: italic">you wanna my gun I wanna your Suppressor</span>.

So he gotta my gun and he gotta me a Suppressor!

Again, after reading more of the
smile.gif
<span style="text-decoration: underline">gibberish</span> on this site, in this forum I got another....Suppressor.... I am excited about getting it and I should have had it by now but I think Gemtech did a rather disgusting self serving act...now I prolly won't get my Suppressor for some time quite possible for nearly a phucking year!

Well shit happens but should not have happened the way it did.

After having my first GTech Suppressor('S') a number of adavantages became READILY apparent: 1) what's left of my hearing won't be lost; 2) Shooting w/ a 'S' allows me to concentrate, be more focused on sight alignment and not have the ever-present, awareness of NOISE having an effect/affect on bullet placement. Sure, hearing protection is great, hearing protection is even greater with a 'S' 3) I leave my 'S' attached, the gun loaded and w/in easy access in case of a home invasion. And instead of a blast blowing my hearing in a small area I can stay focused and watch the little Red Dot...

AND the g-darn, feral cats in the neighborhood just got one-upped on stealth.... :eek:) :eek:)

A) Before buying a Suppressor read and study any info relating to 'sound'...velocity...sub-sonic all relating to ammo.
B) Before buying a Suppressor inventory your caliber's... and the number of firearms with that caliber. One 'S' can be used on
more than one gun with the same caliber.
c) In my narrow minded opiniion everyone's first/1st Suppressor should be for a .22: the smell of blood just drives me wild...
D) Everyone should have one for their game rifle...

E) I am exhausted going to bed thinking about a 3rd 'S'.....grrrrrrrrrr....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m21black</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE should use hearing protection, it's cheaper for the tax payers... By the way entry team sounds orwellian to me... What has this country come to Police Officers dressed in black ninja suits, kicking down doors like nazi brown shirts... </div></div>

I've kicked down a couple doors in my day, and most times I actually knocked first. I always had a legal warrant.
You ought to thank every Police Officer you see for keeping you safe.
I don't much care for being compared to Nazi's.
Buy the way, my black "Ninja pants" were $25 bucks. My wool uniform pants are $150. We're just trying to save the tax payers money.
I better stop before I say something I'll regret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On most of the gun forums I post on (including this one) I have been called a potential criminal or idiot for discussing them. It is the strange attitude of American gun owners that keeps them illegal to own or use in many states.

I have been working for a few years to change the WA state law that bans silencer use on firearms. The attitude of the legislators mirrors that of Washington State gun owners. Most do not care, a few think silencers are illegal or immoral, and fewer still care enough to own or make them.

ETA; I do not get the "ear muffs are better" crap either. Silencers protect the hearing of the shooter and all those near by, whether they are wearing hearing protection or not.

Montturi, do not apoligize for your rant. Americans are a strange lot and just about anything you say about them will be true for some. But then diversity is one of the good things about the USA.

Ranb
</div></div>

So true. We are at many time ours own worst enemy!

I've used unsupressed weapons in the urban environment and it sucks! Tenitous, hearing loss. Not because I would have minded wearing some hearing protection but because I couldn't in order to hear the radios, hear and direct soldiers. My ear plugs did not support doing that and so they stayed in my pocket and I am paying the price for it! Ear muffs don't work very well with ballistic helmets or in the tactical environment and at least for me I can not seem to get a good cheek weld.

I played with some supressed weapons in Iraq and wish we all had them! You still get the supersonic crack but the rest is reduced.

Just my .02

Simple desire....that's all I need in a free country.

I like them, they're cool, I like shooting without hearing protection....blah blah blah.

It's my right and I like to exercise it....nuff said.

Cans are good, for lots of reasons I can think of but I just love the sound of an AK-47 so I have no plans to suppress the one rifle that is with me most often.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://guns.connect.fi/gow/highpow.html

bout a million good reasons in this article...my favorite is the noise reduction tho...

sorry to reopen the can of worms, just seems there lots of "uneducatednessness" going on!! ha

oh and +1 on chicks dig it </div></div>

No, chicks don't dig it. But you may get oooohh's and aaaaah's from the internet dorks. </div></div>

I don't know what kind of chicks you've been with but every girl I've taken shooting digs them. Are you saying only internet dorks want suppresors?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Montturi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don´t really understand the hate. It doesn´t make a gun to be silent assassination tool,it just removes some of negative sides of using a modern day weapons.

Sorry bout ranting,ye americans just tend to cause it sometimes.
</div></div>

I think it's because for a long time in the US, hardly anyone actually owned suppressors. People knew about them from James Bond movies, not from actually seeing them used. The internet brought much better understanding of the NFA laws, and owning suppressors became more commonplace, and I think that it's finally starting to filter out of the gun community and into the minds of the general public.

Main reason I bought 1 was because of a prairie dog town that you could only fire 2-3 shots before they all stayed down. 1st time I took it out I probably got 20-30 dogs before they figured out something was going on. In KS legal suppressor ownership is only 2 yrs old. I started the process right after the law was passed, took 9 months but now I have it. Locals around here look at me like I'm up to something and even ask why you'd waste your money on a contraption like that. I just ignore it because I'm the only 1 in my county with one. I do still wear earplugs cause I just dont want to be like my grandpa who lost most of his hearing from Korea. For reasons on your form 4 I put to add to my collection, sounded like a good enough reason for me. Even our local sheriff asked why I wanted one and I said because it was my right, he had no problems with that. I will look at buying another one in the near future.

Because I have tinnitus in my ear from 21 years in the Military and I love anything that reduces recoil.

Noise suppression is the biggest driving factor for putting one on your rifle. Taming recoil is a close second. I do say setup a trust first.

Here in ND we can hunt with them. I have had to explain a few times how bullets fly. I do not shoot any subsonic loads. All of my ammo is full power. A bullet is going faster than the speed of sound so it will hit the game animal before the muzzle blast will get to the target. So even with a suppressor the animal will get hit by a bullet before the suppressed noise will get to it. What is truly nice for them it is like giving everyone who is in ear shot of your rifle a free pair of ear plugs that they do not need to put in. I have shot and missed at plenty of deer and Coyotes at very long range and it is amazing how they will just look around until the noise gets to them. At that point they either run or look in the direction the noise came from. Luckily at those distances the second shot is on the way.

As to all of the LEO comments I say they should be limited to the exact same laws that the private citizens are limited to. Here in Bismarck the SWAT team will put their weapons on waste and let fly. The ones who shoot handguns look at the back of the handgun and let fly. I know a few of the local SWAT guys and they told me that is how I can make my groups shrink I am not making this up. There are very few shootings here in ND and every time they shoot there are plenty of pictures. Holes all over the wall. It is really sad.

Someone said it before, I tried to find it to quote... still laughing from it.

"To make them pay"
-unknown hide member

Cost of Suppressor: 1200bucks

The Look that people give you because they think they are illegal: PRICELESS

What other reason do you need?

Because Tucsondave gives me shit for making him wear earplugs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trakker45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m21black</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A better question would be, does LE have any need for owning suppressors? </div></div>

To keep the entry team from going deaf when they have to fire inside an apartment or drug house where the blast is amplified by being trapped in the structure. </div></div>

So when one goes into a building one's never been in before, and is clearing or fighting room to room, their gonna want an extra 6 inches and extra weight on the end of the weapon?

I guess the situation will dictate, and there are pros and cons both ways, so I don't just wanna come off as a sarcastic jerk, but i think I'd usually just suck it up and use earplugs before I'd go suppressed.

- obviously silenced weapons on the breacher team are really cool though.

Anyone curious about why someone would want to own a suppressor likely hasn't used one. The first shot usually removes any doubt you could possibly have on the matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ldman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to get one for many different calibers? </div></div>

By the largest caliber suppressor for the largest caliber rifle you have then shoot anything smaller thru it.

Sorry to resurrect this thread once again (but its referenced in a sticky for new members so they probably still visit this thread quite a bit).

Anyway I was skimming through some of the replys and its obvious some people are basing all their knowledge on some hollywood movie.

I live in Europe and mods (as we call them here), while not mandatory (as some people have alluded to) are fairly common. We just buy one over the counter with no tax, no extra licence fee etc.

I have this particular mod here (it comes very highly recommended)
http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderators.htm

It cost me about 320 euro brand new (for you Americans thats $413)

I have it on a 24 inch barrel .223 bolt action.

Firstly if somebody is standing 600 yards away from you, he will still hear that rifle going off. Without a doubt. I absolutely guarantee it.

Why is that? There is actually 2 noises you hear when a rifle is shot. The actual boom and a crack. All a mod will do is "silence" the boom (which is caused by hot gas escaping out the muzzle).

But heres the thing, the bullet is travelling so fast its supersonic (faster than sound) so it creates an unmistakable "crack" all the way down range, or in other words, it will "crack" as far down range it the takes until the bullet slows down to about 1100 yards per second (if I remember correctly).

I still use use hearing protection even with my mod. That cracking sound <span style="font-weight: bold">WILL</span> still hurt your ears. That cracking will still piss people off around you.

The only way you will silence the shot completely is if you buy/load bullets which are subsonic. Or in other words, you need to get a bullet that never reaches a speed faster then 1100 yards per second.

(since I expect newbies to be mainly reading this if you slow a bullet down that much you lose a tremendous amount of stopping power and the long range capabilities go down the drain aswell).

So anyone that thinks they will buy a mod and be able to shoot a whole pack of fox/coyotes/racoons are mistaken. You'll shoot the first one, but the rest will hear the crack and run off.

Also, the poster above me said to buy your mod for the biggest caliber you have and then shoot all your smaller calibers through it. This is bad advice.

Although it would be better than nothing, you really should have a mod for each caliber. The passage in the mod is designed to be as tight as possible (without being dangerous) to allow only the bullet and as little gas as possible to escape. The more gas that escapes the less silent its going to be.

So if you have a mod drilled for a 30 cal and then decide to stick that mod onto your 17hmr rifle. The 17 is far smaller, and it will let more gas out.

Just thought I better point out. On a 22lr a mod is great sport. But anything bigger then a 22lr is not going to be silenced.

Thats why here in Europe (well at least the part I live in) not everyone will buy a mod. You know, to get a good mod its expensive and even then you still need hearing protection with it. And so will everybody standing around you.

Nearly forgot, somebody said that it will give you more accuracy. Well I cant say I have ever noticed that. But then again, Ive never went and tested it. However what you will notice is that at longer ranges you will have a POI change at longer ranges which is a pain in the ass because now you will need two sets of dopes.

And just for the hell of it, heres a video of this "cracking" sound Im talking about (notice how the guy is still wearing hearing protection):

[video:youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=taL7Vmip39s[/video]

it's a consipiracy for the government to find out where the shooters are in the country

One of the main reasons I got one was to help start my nieces and young family members and girlfriend in shooting larger calibers. There is a reason novice shooters do better with rimfires- you take away the recoil and muzzle blast and shooter can concentrate more on shooting fundamentals and develop better habits. Can go from Rimfires-suppressed centerfires-unsuppressed centerfire (if necessary for hunting) and of course this carries over to the rest of us as well.