• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling 338 Lapua to a different caliber?

Lukas Koukal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
CZ
To give you a little background - I have an offer to buy a Blaser LRS-2 in 338Lapua, complete build in a case for less than the scope sitting on top of it is worth. If I do, however, I realize I won´t be able to feed it long term - here in EU, even reloading for that caliber is expensive and factory ammo sells for around 6-8 USD a round. Say the barrel has about half its life gone, so I´d be forced to get a new one anyway.

Now the question is: What other calibers could I go with on a rebuild? Any 30 magnums? I realize downgrading all the way to .308Win isn´t realistic, but having it in 300WM, that I could live with.

Is the rifle worth such a project? Thanks to all. Lukas

Re: Rebarreling 338 Lapua to a different caliber?

Bolt is going to need to be replaced or bushed to get to more common cases. I have never seen a blaser so I can only say you may or may not need mag/follower work and possible headaches with the rails. I would buy it and part it.

the blasers have user replaceable barrel and the bolt locks into a barrel extension. you can order both replacement barrels and the correct bolt head needed for almost any caliber you desire. Not sure though if the extensions are available a la carte so you could have your gunsmith of choice chamber one for you. Also you may need to buy new mags depending on chambering you choose.

Lukas,

Skog, gives good info ive had 3 blasers and the barrels are changeable by you. All you need to do is buy the barrel in the chambering you want, Changeout the bolthead extension/magazine if needed and thats it.

Its really simple to do even I could do it
smile.gif

18937Africa_04_006.jpg

18937Africa_04_001.jpg

In Africa couple animals with my Blaser in 300 RUM

Hope this helps....Aloha!