• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recipe for federal GMM 175gr

shadow4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2005
Aiken SC area
Anybody ever try to figure out the load recipe for Federal GMM <span style="text-decoration: underline">175gr</span>? My friend has an AI AE that shoots this stuff incredibly accurate. He does not reload yet, but I do, and I was wanting to find a load for him for when he does start reloading.

I already have the FGMM Brass, The Fed Primers, and the 175SMK's, <span style="text-decoration: underline">I ONLY need to know what powder and what charge weight.</span>

(I should have gotten a round from him last time we shot but I forgot)

Thanks!

Re: Recipe for federal GMM 175gr

not sure, but im running 42.0 gr of varget behind a 168smk in gmm brass w fed primers.. perfect clone for the 168gmm and no where near the max loads... somewhere to start at least

I run 7 boxes of FGM thru my run out gage and at least 30% were within 0.005, really nice. Most was within 0.003, my handloads are just about the same velocity but with 43gr of Varget, Lapua brass and 168gr SMK, 2710avd. All my loads are within 0.003 run out and 0.0001 OAL because I found that is the most consistent ammo thru my rifle.

Guys, Thanks for the info and the link but, I'm looking for the load recipe for the <span style="text-decoration: underline">175gr FGMM</span>, not the 168gr.

it depends. What brass, primer, powder are you using? I use Lapua brass, Federal 210m primers, and Varget. My rifle (rem 700 PSS 1:12) likes 43.4 and 44.2.

Every rifle is different. I would suggest working up a load your rifle likes. start with 42GR up to 45. Go up .2 - .3 grains at a time. you will probably see the groups getting tighter in the 43-44 range. This is the only way you will find what your stick likes. watch for presure signs. there is no specific recipe you can follow. Federal uses their own blend of powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, Thanks for the info and the link but, I'm looking for the load recipe for the <span style="text-decoration: underline">175gr FGMM</span>, not the 168gr. </div></div>
Sorry, for some reason I thought the thread here on this page started out with a great 175-gr FGMM clone.

We *do* have some data here in the reloading pages, but the board's search function is a bit funky. Sorry.

I would highly suggest that you workup a load for it instead of just settling for the FGMM. My handloads for my rifle shoot better than FGMM. I only recently worked out a FGMM clone because I am required to shoot FGMM for work. Otherwise I would not bother with it.

Folks, normally if it were my rifle I would work up a load for it. Its hard to work up a load for a friends rifle that is 2 hours away. I am not looking for "<span style="font-weight: bold">a</span>" load I am trying to look for "<span style="text-decoration: underline">the</span>" load, and that load being FGGM 175g.......... I just figured that maybe somebody had figured out what powder brand they were using and what charge weight they were putting in their cases. That way I could just use exact ingredients and be done with it ;-).

Gau17, if you re-read my post you'll see I listed the components that I'll be using (basically the exact components that already make up FGMM).

Maybe I should re-list my post as "Who knows what powder brand and charge weight they use in the 175gr federal gold medal match?"

However, I <span style="text-decoration: underline">do</span> appreciate everybody trying to help out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks, normally if it were my rifle I would work up a load for it. Its hard to work up a load for a friends rifle that is 2 hours away. I am not looking for "<span style="font-weight: bold">a</span>" load I am trying to look for "<span style="text-decoration: underline">the</span>" load, and that load being FGGM 175g.......... I just figured that maybe somebody had figured out what powder brand they were using and what charge weight they were putting in their cases. That way I could just use exact ingredients and be done with it ;-).

Gau17, if you re-read my post you'll see I listed the components that I'll be using (basically the exact components that already make up FGMM).

Maybe I should re-list my post as "Who knows what powder brand and charge weight they use in the 175gr federal gold medal match?"

However, I <span style="text-decoration: underline">do</span> appreciate everybody trying to help out. </div></div>

Federal uses a powder specially blended to the specs it provides the powder company. They do not use an over the counter available powder. It seems most people are using Varget to make their FGMM clone loads. There are loads listed at the top of this section and several threads have addressed your question..

Nitehawk, thanks for the info. I was afraid that they used their own powder blend. I guess I will have to just use some M118LR load info. It seams to work just as well.

Some years ago, before Blount sold Federal to ATK, I pulled some FGM 175's to see what it was made of. The powder used was IMR 4064 and the charges (measured a box of 20) were 44.1 (16x) and 44.0 (4x). I've used this load for some 10 years with both Federal and Lapua brass. The bullets are seated to 2.80" COAL. The newer FGM loads made by ATK shoot to the same POI as my handloads. This has been the case when shot from my built rifle, my 700P, and my son's built (Autauga) rifle.

G.Ruff,

That is a perfectly good load and is one I have tried and like. However, how do (also, how can) you <span style="text-decoration: underline">know</span> that IMR 4064 is the same powder used by Federal in the 175 GMM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G.Ruff,
...how do (also, how can) you <span style="text-decoration: underline">know</span> that IMR 4064 is the same powder used by Federal in the 175 GMM? </div></div>

Because I've used enough IMR 4064 to know it when I see it. Same kernel length and diameter, same color, same smell, same load density per weighed charge. Plus, a little birdie told me.

I have no idea what Federal uses since ATK bought the company.

Well then, that makes life entirely too easy!

Whenever I feel my loads or barrel are going to shit, I dip into my paltry stock of Fed. GMM rounds to see what is what. Without fail, it provides a reality check.

I'm not going to proclaim you are the last word on the subject, but you do provide some additional foundation for what I have found to be a great load!

When asked I'll say, "G. Ruff told me so!"

Not that I'm saying your observation is unequivocal but I've always liked that powder anyway! It's the shizzle in my 30-06 with several bullets.