• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil: Sound & feel from different stocks and chassis?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
When you pull the trigger, how does your stock or chassis sound? Is there a ringing? No sound? Something else? And how does it feel? Dead? Tuning fork? Something else?

I’m coming from wood or laminate stocks, where I hear no sound from the stock, and it feels pretty dead. But I’ve never shot something like a Manners, Foundation or KRG (just some examples I’m interested in).

I’ve read a bunch of reviews on features, but less on more subjective things, like feel/sound. I don’t care what stock/chassis you have, feel free to share.

I just got a foundation, and have been using mpa and XLR for a while now. There’s definitely something “softer” on the punch in the foundation. The ergos on it are awesome, my issue with the manners/Macmillan’s I’ve owned is that the grip to trigger distance wouldn’t allow my firing hand to be secure and consistent. Otherwise, I’ve always felt more at home behind a stock and appreciate the look of a stock. The finish on the foundations is so nice too.

Reactions: ddavis
Thanks for contributing. Foundation stocks are one of the few that people seem to comment on sound/feel-wise.

Anybody else?

This is all about personal perception. What I feel, hear, and see are different that others. And it will vary with caliber, weight and position. Too many variables to quantify or qualify any statements.

Get some trigger time behind different configurations.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I just got a foundation, and have been using mpa and XLR for a while now. There’s definitely something “softer” on the punch in the foundation. The ergos on it are awesome, my issue with the manners/Macmillan’s I’ve owned is that the grip to trigger distance wouldn’t allow my firing hand to be secure and consistent. Otherwise, I’ve always felt more at home behind a stock and appreciate the look of a stock. The finish on the foundations is so nice too.
Curious what you mean by trigger distance? Is the foundation a shorter reach to the trigger than Manners/Mcmillan?

Curious what you mean by trigger distance? Is the foundation a shorter reach to the trigger than Manners/Mcmillan?
I don't have a stock to compare the measurement, but yes, it is noticeably closer to the trigger. I thought that since I had been shooting a chassis for a little over a year, I would try a manners stock I had, just to see if my perception was still the same. I put a few hundred rounds through it, dry fired a bunch with it, and.... yep, I still hated my firing hand basically floating near the grip or 'gripping' it with my finger tips. On my MPA, I can get a handful of the grip and still have my trigger finger 90deg comfortably. The foundation is not as close, but still is comfortable and growing on me. I think on Foundation's website they describe the MG2 as having the grip closer to the trigger also.

The dark foundations look awesome. Not a fan of the lighter brown micarta, looks too "faux wood" for me.

I love what John Kyle has done, starting up a new stock company with a new material (that hasn't been used for stocks before, to my knowledge), which has some obvious practical benefits. A lot of respect to him for what he's accomplished. The vibration absorption properties of micarta is really intriguing, I'm looking forward to trying one out.

There are a few things that I would like done to the Foundation line, as the current models have a lot of the same down sides as their fiberglass stock counterparts, which is what drove me to chassis' in the first place.

Reactions: mahlv
This is all about personal perception. What I feel, hear, and see are different that others. And it will vary with caliber, weight and position. Too many variables to quantify or qualify any statements.

Get some trigger time behind different configurations.

Best of luck.

Andrew
Unfortunately I live in a place that doesn’t have PRS comps. So the only way I’m going to winnow the field is to discuss.

Ultimately, almost everything fades into your summary of perceptions and variables. Why even talk about anything? Just buy everything and try it. Only each individual can divine the wisdom of ye gods for themselves, and experiences of others are worthless. (Tongue firmly in cheek).

Case in point: I am learning, from reading many, many threads, that a fair percentage of men with medium sized hands think Manners has too long of a grip-to-trigger distance. Also learning that many Foundation owners think their stock feels “dead”, and metal chassis tend to “ring”.

I get your point. Ultimately, trigger time is the way. But time (effort and money) is precious, and some time spent talking with those who have experience is sometimes worth gold. But endless research is also a fool’s errand, and one must enter the parade ground to attempt success.

One thing to note, different models in one manufacturers line can vary widely. I have only ever tried a normal genesis model foundation and I damn near needed a dialing wand to reach the trigger. The genesis 2 took the shorter reach of their exodus model which is what the poster above was talking about, they dont give you a spec of how close or far one is over the other though.

My manners TA has a decent trigger to grip distance but there is also the classic swept angle to it as well which lets me cheat my hand forward a bit which makes it great to me. My mdt ACC let me put the grip all the way forward which is about ideal to me for a pure vertical grip (thats a huge benefit of a chassis over a stock for example, adaptability).

Really I think you need to try one at each end of the spectrum and see which is worse and then narrow down the field from there to what is an is not acceptable. And if you cnt try then you should take what you can get access to and see where you would change it, thinner vs fatter, angled vs vertical etc.
You seem to know you like a shorter trigger pull though so thats a start. Now if we could just get someone with both foundations to actually measure and see how much actual difference it makes.

I don't have a stock to compare the measurement, but yes, it is noticeably closer to the trigger. I thought that since I had been shooting a chassis for a little over a year, I would try a manners stock I had, just to see if my perception was still the same. I put a few hundred rounds through it, dry fired a bunch with it, and.... yep, I still hated my firing hand basically floating near the grip or 'gripping' it with my finger tips. On my MPA, I can get a handful of the grip and still have my trigger finger 90deg comfortably. The foundation is not as close, but still is comfortable and growing on me. I think on Foundation's website they describe the MG2 as having the grip closer to the trigger also.
Which Manners did you try? The T4A has a short reach to the trigger. It feels good even with my little girl hands.

So does the KMW Sentinel, and various AICS I've used.

Which Manners did you try? The T4A has a short reach to the trigger. It feels good even with my little girl hands.

So does the KMW Sentinel, and various AICS I've used.
Pretty sure it was a t4a, tactical style w hook and adjustable cheek piece.

KRG Bravo. What do I hear - bang! What do I feel - recoil! With all the weight I added to that bad boy there is no vibration, period!

Reactions: carbonbased
Ive shot my 6creed in both a KRG bravo and a MPA comp chassis, the bravo seems to eat up a little bit of the recoil impulse where the MPA just gives you the full shebang with a tiny bit of a tuning fork effect. I shot a 308 in a hs precision stock for a while and I can say that felt dead, compared to the bravo and mpa. You would get the recoil impulse but that’s it, no harmonic transmission, no “feedback” but unfortunately I can’t do an apple to apple comparison since a 6creed and 308 are two different animals.

Reactions: carbonbased