• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommend a bourbon...

I’m on a mission and a budget tonight. I’ve sipped three tonight trying to loosen up my lower back.
Bulleit Orange Label
Basil Heyden
Makers Mark

I’m drinking on ice with a little bit of orange bitters and regular bitters.

Bulleit seems sweeter
Makers tastes like Makers
Basil tastes right tonight

Probably not much help but it’s my 3 cents. Back does feel markedly better.

I’m on a mission and a budget tonight. I’ve sipped three tonight trying to loosen up my lower back.
Bulleit Orange Label
Basil Heyden
Makers Mark

Bulleit seems sweeter

Basil is a great pain killer!
DW

Reactions: jordan0317
im trying some of the Costco one to see how it is for the $.
Not bad so far.

Also like the Breckenridge. Its not too pricey. I can get a 1.75 for $60.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Wild Turkeys Rare Breed which is the small batch glass bottle. I’m more of a Basil Hayden’s guy but rare breed will give you a little more heat. If you want something as a conversation starter look at Jefferson’s Oceans

Bulleit Orange Label
Basil Heyden

You beat me to it. Those were the two i was going to recommend, haha. I believe they both have a little higher than normal rye content, which gives that spicy finish. Bulleit is my go to, every day choice, but i think basil is smoother maybe, and more expensive.

If you want something as a conversation starter look at Jefferson’s Oceans

That’s what I happen to be enjoying at the moment. Another new favorite is Wild Turkey Longbranch. I’m not usually a fan of their products but that one is really good.

I have been told that since I like Knob Creek, Makers Mark would be a good substitute but I like the Knob Creek better, especially the small batch. I think it is distilled by Buffalo Trace. I think they are the distillery for Pappy Van Winkle too.

Either way I think Knob Creek is way more drinkable than Bulleit.

I like, in no particular order:

Bulleit 10-yr
Bulleit Black label (cask strength)
Jefferson's
Basil Heydens

I have been told that since I like Knob Creek, Makers Mark would be a good substitute but I like the Knob Creek better, especially the small batch. I think it is distilled by Buffalo Trace. I think they are the distillery for Pappy Van Winkle too.

Either way I think Knob Creek is way more drinkable than Bulleit.

Knob Creek is a Jim Beam product. I agree it's a damn fine pour, especially the single barrel. Better than Bulleit for sure. It isn't a substitute for Makers. Makers is a wheater and Knob Creek is a higher rye like Four Roses or Turkey.

Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon that splits the difference between Makers and WT. And while it shares the same low rye mashbill as Buffalo Trace, it is incorrect to say it is BT just aged longer.

WL Weller.

Barring that, Basil Hayden is my next go-to, followed by Woodford, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace (in descending price, not necessarily order).

Never liked Makers, in fact I'd rather drink Turkey 101 over that garbage.

Be aware that there are only two ways to enjoy a fine Kentucky bourbon - neat, and wrong.

TX Bourbon and Flatboat are great if you have them in your area.

WL Weller.

Barring that, Basil Hayden is my next go-to, followed by Woodford, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace (in descending price, not necessarily order).

Be aware that there are only two ways to enjoy a fine Kentucky bourbon - neat, and wrong.

I’m actually not a huge fan of Makers Mark either!

WL Weller.

I keep forgetting about Basil Hayden. It is a fine pour for sure. I am not a Makers fan either other than their Makers 46. I think that is pretty fine but I will drink Bulleit over regular MM

+1 for Angel’s Envy and add Jefferson’s Ocean to the list

I really want to be a bourbon drinker bc it looks so good. I've tried but it's hard coming from gin to bourbon.

I've tried just about every one listed here. My cabinet has Bookers in it always, others rotate out.

Makers 46 is good for a cheaper one.

Glenmorangie scotch is my favorite whiskey.

Heading to Louisville KY tomorrow for a short weekend. Is there anything local to the area for whiskey or bourbon that y’all would recommend? Say $60 or less?

Heading to Louisville KY tomorrow for a short weekend. Is there anything local to the area for whiskey or bourbon that y’all would recommend? Say $60 or less?

Find a bar/restaurant that specializes in bourbon. There are some that do flights so you can get a taste of several different bourbons. It'll also give you the chance to try some really rare/expensive ones without committing to buying a bottle. You could also do part of the bourbon trail if you have time.

Find a bar/restaurant that specializes in bourbon. There are some that do flights so you can get a taste of several different bourbons. It'll also give you the chance to try some really rare/expensive ones without committing to buying a bottle. You could also do part of the bourbon trail if you have time.

This place is awesome and has an extensive bourbon list.

Attachments

• SD_Menu_BeerandSpirits_April2017.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
That is SO right. So very right. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to find a way to make a sign that says that, to hang over our bar! Those words should be BRONZED.

Thank you sir!

+1 for Blantons and Angels Envy.

Completely agree that you don’t want to dilute a good bourbon. But 2 or 3 DROPS of water does interesting things.

+1 for Blantons and Angels Envy.

Completely agree that you don’t want to dilute a good bourbon. But 2 or 3 DROPS of water does interesting things.
Yes, my thoughts/statement was more towards the "mix it with soda-pop, add fruit, and serve in a coconut with a little umbrella" type crowd. As I had alluded to before, in another thread I think. There was one whom added some logic, and I appreciate that.

And yes, a "few drops of branch-water" can make all the difference. I get that. Many don't, but there's good things there. Someone else (I forget who) posted a video (I forget where) that explains where "most" of the Bourbon's come from. Actually, most of the alcohol's in general. And that seems to be a Major distillery in Indiana, or Iowa, or Idaho, or Owahu, or I forget where. So short version, CHECK THE LABEL as to where it is distilled AND bottled.

Yes, my thoughts/statement was more towards the "mix it with soda-pop, add fruit, and serve in a coconut with a little umbrella" type crowd. As I had alluded to before, in another thread I think. There was one whom added some logic, and I appreciate that.

And yes, a "few drops of branch-water" can make all the difference. I get that. Many don't, but there's good things there. Someone else (I forget who) posted a video (I forget where) that explains where "most" of the Bourbon's come from. Actually, most of the alcohol's in general. And that seems to be a Major distillery in Indiana, or Iowa, or Idaho, or Owahu, or I forget where. So short version, CHECK THE LABEL as to where it is distilled AND bottled.

Being a seasoned (pickled?) drinker, I have to say that there are proper cocktails that are greatly enhanced when the bourbon is top shelf. A proper Old Fashioned or a Whisky Sour (real sour not mix) with a perfectly shaken egg white is hard to beat.

I like it neat and I like proper cocktails using the same whisky....fewer bottles that way

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I really want to be a bourbon drinker bc it looks so good. I've tried but it's hard coming from gin to bourbon.

Buy a bottle of good quality bourbon.
Pour about two tablespoons into a glass.
Add about 4 drops of water into the glass.

Wait

Take a sip of water to rinse out your mouth.

Take a tiny sip of the bourbon, take only enough that it will melt in your mouth and you do not have to swallow it.

What do you taste?

Wait

Repeat

You have now been assimilated by the Borg.

Angel’s Envy, Blanton’s, Weller’s, Bulleit 10 yr
High proof or barrel proof- Booker’s (favorite) or Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Bulleit Orange Label
Basil Heyden
Makers Mark

Bulleit seems sweeter

Time to hit the sales forum!