• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

recommend a neck runout/turning tool?

Re: recommend a neck runout/turning tool?

Two different conditions, two tools. Neck turning reduces the variation in neck wall thickness. This helps improve concentricity, but does not completely "fix" it.

There are several tools that measure runout and have a means to improve concentricity.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 21st Century neck turning tools, and like the idea that the cutter is radiused to match your cartridge.
SScott
http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Neck_Turning_Tool.php </div></div>

+1, and I also recommend there Concentricity gauge

So far as I know, only Hornady has a tool that measures runout and bends it straight. There are a couple of tools that bend necks but they don't do the measurements so you'd be going back and forth with a concentricity gage.

http://benchrest.com/hnh/ I got 2 of these gauges. one for my 50bmg and the other gauge does the smaller calibers. The quality is fantastic. Measures concentricity, can fix the excessive runout if needed, and also measures neck thickness. Doesn't turn the necks though.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far as I know, only Hornady has a tool that measures runout and bends it straight. There are a couple of tools that bend necks but they don't do the measurements so you'd be going back and forth with a concentricity gage. </div></div>

There's a guy in Oregon that makes a run out gauge that has a bending lever included. Lost his website info though. I bought the Hornady and found it easy to use. Has a couple of quirks that are easy to figure out though.

Most people aren't interested in "bending" the necks as much as figuring out what's causing the run out to begin with. For them, most any concentricity gauge that's accurate works just fine.

When I changed to using a Lee Collet die for neck sizing and a Forster Bench Rest Seater Die (the old Bonanza style die) I found I don't have to "tweak" my .308 ammo any more.

The website I posted just above is a guy out of Oregon. Fantastic quality and great guy. Builds alot of the gauges for BR shooters.