• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for shooting mat and vest/plate carrier

xiaohan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
For shooting mat, it will be mainly used during summer time(non snow season) and most of time would be somewhere dry and flat, e.g. military base shooting range.
I saw people suggested:
Crosstac, Midway USA, Triad etc.
I guess what I am looking for is something with good protection, reasonable size(also width) and other useful features like pocket etc.

Not sure if many "snipers" here uses vest/plate carrier, it is more for CQB/protection purposes, if it is against the rule, I will remove the question.
I know Crye Precision JPC/JPC 2.0 is the top quality(and pricey) one, Condor MOPC and Gloryfire seems a budget option, not sure anything else is good too.

Thank you in advance.

I have a Crye JPC 1.0 and it is nice. If you don't care about color, you can get the non multi-cam brand new for $200~ on ebay, and you don't have to wait weeks to get it. I have 4.5lb hybrid plates Lvl. 3+ that are 1" thick, they fit fine and overall it doesn't feel like a hassle to wear. The cummerbund is adjustable in the rear and held on with elastic shock cord, so it helps with the comfort factor. You can make it snug but also allows it to flex when you breath in and out.

It has 3 built in mag slots for the front, but I opted to get the Esstac KYWI so I don't have to deal with mag retention straps. Bonus is you can double the mag capacity if the weight isn't an issue.

For shooting mat, it will be mainly used during summer time(non snow season) and most of time would be somewhere dry and flat, e.g. military base shooting range.
I saw people suggested:
Crosstac, Midway USA, Triad etc.
I guess what I am looking for is something with good protection, reasonable size(also width) and other useful features like pocket etc.

Not sure if many "snipers" here uses vest/plate carrier, it is more for CQB/protection purposes, if it is against the rule, I will remove the question.
I know Crye Precision JPC/JPC 2.0 is the top quality(and pricey) one, Condor MOPC and Gloryfire seems a budget option, not sure anything else is good too.

Thank you in advance.
As for plate carriers, look at London bridge, they consistently have huge sales. I have multiple products from them and they are top notch.

https://lbtinc.com/

Shooting Mats:
If you want bulky, but comfy - actually pretty nice during the winter when the concrete is really cold the Midway Pro Series mat is very nice.
If you want small, compact and less bulky (something you could throw in your pack) then the TAB gear Pollok Shooting Mat is nice.

There are a ton of other around, but these two cover sort of opposite ends of the spectrum...

Honest question, where are you guys wearing your plate carriers? Do you show up at the range and wear them around?

Work for me, but yes, I also try and train in it as well in applicable situations. I’m not tac’d out at the indoor range.

A buddy of mine would wear his plate carrier at public ranges that lacked RSO's. As for a shooting mat, I recommend the TAB Gear Pollok Shooting Mat, www.tabgear.com. It is the mat I use and I have been real happy with it. For a plate carrier, I have a Blackhawk but I am looking to replace it with a Crye Precision.

Midway mat. First Spear carrier. Either Strandhögg or Assault Armor Carrier (AAC). The most comfortable armor plate carriers I have ever worn. Anything you mount is rock solid, the "Tubes" quick release is absolutely awesome and the shoulder straps are thick padded and REALLY COMFORTABLE to wear when searching large places (elementary school, etc) for armed burglary suspects who ran away LoL..... Got mine folded up in my patrol duty bag and I can yank it out and Don it within a minute or so.

15506341937132538903643088583383.jpg

Last edited:
Honest question, where are you guys wearing your plate carriers? Do you show up at the range and wear them around?
If im at an indoor range I wont but if im at an outdoor range that allows for movement drills then I will wear a full loadout, practicing with it helps a lot

Same as others, I wear them for work enough. Even then, when I pay for additional training on my own, I'll still wear it if I'm feeling froggy. ??

Midway mat. First Spear carrier. Either Strandhögg or Assault Armor Carrier (AAC). The most comfortable armor plate carriers I have ever worn. Anything you mount is rock solid, the "Tubes" quick release is absolutely awesome and the shoulder straps are thick padded and REALLY COMFORTABLE to wear when searching large places (elementary school, etc) for armed burglary suspects who ran away LoL..... Got mine folded up in my patrol duty bag and I can yank it out and Don it within a minute or so.

View attachment 7028825
Thank you.

I know Condor brand is a budget one manufactuered in China. And I thought JPC is already kind of expensive already until I checked the price for AAC and LBT. Do you know what makes these brands way more expensive than the JPC ones. I believe all made in US, so labor cost is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Any reason why this brand is even more expensive than the JPC ones? The price doesn't include plates, do they?
Prices do not include plates, I will admit they are priced up towards the top but their craftsmanship is top notch, customer service is top notch and I just don't have a bad thing to say about them honestly. I have used multiple pouches from them, I have owned their carrier and I currently own a couple of their loadout bags. never has anything broke, torn or failed in any way. if you want you can also check out LBX Tactical, it's LBT's "value" line

Thank you.

I know Condor brand is a budget one manufactuered in China. And I thought JPC is already kine of expensive already until I checked the price for AAC and LBT. Do you know what makes these brands way more expensive than the JPC ones. I believe all made in US, so labor cost is pretty much the same.

For LBT you get quality materials, excellent craftsmanship and a lifetime warranty. In effect the last one you will ever buy. If you are patient, LBT usually has sales and you can pick up carriers half off.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Thank you.

I know Condor brand is a budget one manufactuered in China. And I thought JPC is already kine of expensive already until I checked the price for AAC and LBT. Do you know what makes these brands way more expensive than the JPC ones. I believe all made in US, so labor cost is pretty much the same.

I have a Condor covert plate carrier at well for come AR550 steel plates I wear for PT and for a family member to wear. It's "sufficient in quality" for light duty use.

Comparing the ultra lightweight Crye JPC carrier to the AAC or StrandHögg is apples to oranges. The Crye Cage Carrier is Apples to apples... which as you can see the Crye Cage Carrier is about $400.... And you need to order Plate Bags ($325) separately to actually hold SAPI plates

Crye Cage Plate Carrier
Plate Bags for Cage Carrier

So the similar Crye Setup to my $500 FirstSpear is $720

Screenshot_20190221-130557.png

If I'm going to be getting into some shit, I want side plates. The Crye JPC doesn't have 'em. Unacceptable for me. But not for some.

For playing "Operator" at the range with other rangegoers is cute (I've seen that a lot lately with some of the classes I've paid for). I plan for a no-shit, real life, a bad guy is waiting for me around the corner while I'm searching for him and he can pop a shot off at me at any angle. Because that's what I do for a living. I'm not an "Operator" , but I do have a very real possibility of getting into a bad day at work. The plate carriers they gave us at work were insufficient (no side plates) and they were not stand-alone level III plates. They need to be used in conjunction with Level II or IIIA soft armor.... A spec some people don't look for.

Last edited:
Shooting Mats:
If you want bulky, but comfy - actually pretty nice during the winter when the concrete is really cold the Midway Pro Series mat is very nice.
If you want small, compact and less bulky (something you could throw in your pack) then the TAB gear Pollok Shooting Mat is nice.

There are a ton of other around, but these two cover sort of opposite ends of the spectrum...

I have both of these and he is right, both have their uses. I use the midway about 75-90% of the time

bob allen shooting mat for a no frills lightweight padded mat, good for taller people (85" long) but narrower than other mats (27" vs 35")
midway pro is good, but its 6-8lbs. the gen 2 midway is significantly lighter.
appleseed actually makes a shooting mat as well and its pretty good. 35"x70", has grommets for stakes, 1/2" of padding. only $30 and well constructed

https://store.rwvaappleseed.com/product110.html

that being said, the midway mats has webbing/straps in the front so you can preload your bipod easily and im not sure the other ones do. the more expensive gen 2 midway pros ($100) are also fully waterproof on the bottom whereas others say water resistant. im not sure if its just a coating tho.

Last edited:
I have a Condor covert plate carrier at well for come AR550 steel plates I wear for PT and for a family member to wear. It's "sufficient in quality" for light duty use.

Comparing the ultra lightweight Crye JPC carrier to the AAC or StrandHögg is apples to oranges. The Crye Cage Carrier is Apples to apples... which as you can see the Crye Cage Carrier is about $400.... And you need to order Plate Bags ($325) separately to actually hold SAPI plates

Crye Cage Plate Carrier
Plate Bags for Cage Carrier

So the similar Crye Setup to my $500 FirstSpear is $720

View attachment 7029982

If I'm going to be getting into some shit, I want side plates. The Crye JPC doesn't have 'em. Unacceptable for me. But not for some.

For playing "Operator" at the range with other rangegoers is cute (I've seen that a lot lately with some of the classes I've paid for). I plan for a no-shit, real life, a bad guy is waiting for me around the corner while I'm searching for him and he can pop a shot off at me at any angle. Because that's what I do for a living. I'm not an "Operator" , but I do have a very real possibility of getting into a bad day at work. The plate carriers they gave us at work were insufficient (no side plates) and they were not stand-alone level III plates. They need to be used in conjunction with Level II or IIIA soft armor.... A spec some people don't look for.
Wow, thanks a lot for the explanations. I would say I need a plate carrier/vest for CQB matches/training and possibly something to avoid the situation where I get shoot by some idiot with an (illegal) firearm or robbery, this would be something I keep in the car/home with me so I can reach it quickly for protection. Not sure if I need a light weight or a full duty one which I won't wear it for work or for living.

Correct me if I am wrong, I just googled, seems JPC has the side plate pouch set to add side plates?
https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/blc04402000_jpc-side-plate-pouch-set

Thank you.

Prices do not include plates, I will admit they are priced up towards the top but their craftsmanship is top notch, customer service is top notch and I just don't have a bad thing to say about them honestly. I have used multiple pouches from them, I have owned their carrier and I currently own a couple of their loadout bags. never has anything broke, torn or failed in any way. if you want you can also check out LBX Tactical, it's LBT's "value" line
For LBT you get quality materials, excellent craftsmanship and a lifetime warranty. In effect the last one you will ever buy. If you are patient, LBT usually has sales and you can pick up carriers half off.
Yeah, for sure I will go for quality, the cost will be paid back during time when using it. I am looking into LBT and see which one suits me waiting for the promotion.
They do normally ship quite fast right, I believe within 2 weeks after place the order I should be able to receive it if it's not out of stock, correct?

Yeah, for sure I will go for quality, the cost will be paid back during time when using it. I am looking into LBT and see which one suits me waiting for the promotion.
They do normally ship quite fast right, I believe within 2 weeks after place the order I should be able to receive it if it's not out of stock, correct?
They ship quickly, never had an issue with wait times

Wow, thanks a lot for the explanations. I would say I need a plate carrier/vest for CQB matches/training and possibly something to avoid the situation where I get shoot by some idiot with an (illegal) firearm or robbery, this would be something I keep in the car/home with me so I can reach it quickly for protection. Not sure if I need a light weight or a full duty one which I won't wear it for work or for living.

Correct me if I am wrong, I just googled, seems JPC has the side plate pouch set to add side plates?
https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/blc04402000_jpc-side-plate-pouch-set

Thank you.

You're welcome. That's great you're looking at side plate carriers.

Just to confuse you more by giving more options, here's this :)

I'm not big on mats, but I'll definitely give a + to the LBT carriers. My 6094 is definitely well made and actually pretty damn comfortable, and I prefer the kangaroo type mag pouch on it to a add on type if you're going to go proned out. I do however usually the green mountain kydex insert for mag retention

I always wondered the same thing and one day at the range a guy had a live round stuck in the chamber. He went behind everybody and was trying to get the slide back. I didn't realize it until he came up and asked us if we had a hammer to get the slide open. We were at another range this winter and a guy asked to go pick up his targets. We were standing around talking when we heard someone on the line chamber a round and get ready to shoot with the vehicle downrange in plain sight. I have been thinking maybe it is time to get one just for the range.

I always wondered the same thing and one day at the range a guy had a live round stuck in the chamber. He went behind everybody and was trying to get the slide back. I didn't realize it until he came up and asked us if we had a hammer to get the slide open. We were at another range this winter and a guy asked to go pick up his targets. We were standing around talking when we heard someone on the line chamber a round and get ready to shoot with the vehicle downrange in plain sight. I have been thinking maybe it is time to get one just for the range.
At some range, I reckon this kind of protection is really needed, especially those who think they know what they are doing but not.

If just a pistol range, would a soft vest do the job, just for comfort and low profile. Don't really want to draw attention to others too much.

By the way guys, if I want the maximum protection, which IV plate is the highest grade I believe, any brand or spec I should have a look?