• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

redding comepition neck sizing die issues for 338 lapua mag

Regret

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
kauai island hawaii
ok look i am brand spanking new to reloading and 338 lapua mag is the only gun im currently reloading. so i got the brass clean deprimed cleaned the priming holes the set the neck sizing die lubed the cases sized the 87.4 grains of h1000 took it to the seating die set it put the bullet in and it and blam sank right to the powder mic'd it at .339 inside the case mic'd the sizing die inside at .372 mic'd the out side neck of a factory round .369 ???????????????? im so lost any suggestions?

ok look i am brand spanking new to reloading and 338 lapua mag is the only gun im currently reloading. so i got the brass clean deprimed cleaned the priming holes the set the neck sizing die lubed the cases sized the 87.4 grains of h1000 took it to the seating die set it put the bullet in and it and blam sank right to the powder mic'd it at .339 inside the case mic'd the sizing die inside at .372 mic'd the out side neck of a factory round .369 ???????????????? im so lost any suggestions?

Bushing dies: how do they work?

You did get a .365" TiNi bushing for your Competition Neck Sizing 'Bushing' die, didn't you?

They are a separate part that you have to order.

I did that with my first bushing neck sizer in 7RM and I already knew how to reload, so don't feel bad.

Just be more careful in the future. 90+ grains of gun powder six inches from your face can do a lot of damage if you frak it up.

Chris

Good laugh to start my morning... I've loaded 50 cases with powder... went to seat bullets and powder went everywhere... no primers

Funny, but surely you're not the first, nor will you be the last. Next you'll get the FL bushing die, and when you size you'll find out the bushing was in the neck die, and vise versa. Or you'll have a smaller or larger bushing in the die you choose to use. It's a vicious cycle.

I have an Accuracy International AX338MC. I've just shot my first ladder. I used Lapua brass but I also have some PPU that I use to warm up the barrel. I've taken the calipers to the outside neck width of the once fired case and found an average around .3735 with variances at the shoulder near .3780 and the tip at .3705.

I just got an outside neck measurement from an unfired Lapua .338 case and found it was .366.

Everyone in the thread and forums suggest I get the 365, 366, and 367 neck bushings for my Competition Redding Neck Sizing die. Why is that? Should I still get these or get something around .3735?

Also, from my reloading manuals, the case dimension for the .338 Lapua neck outside width should be .3710 at the tip (according to Nosler). Are things different for my rifle? Explain which neck sizing bushings I ought to order and why. Finally, if I buy the three suggested, then which of the three do I run my brass through?

Thanks so much!

-Torrentuser

I have an Accuracy International AX338MC. I've just shot my first ladder. I used Lapua brass but I also have some PPU that I use to warm up the barrel. I've taken the calipers to the outside neck width of the once fired case and found an average around .3735 with variances at the shoulder near .3780 and the tip at .3705.

I just got an outside neck measurement from an unfired Lapua .338 case and found it was .366.

Everyone in the thread and forums suggest I get the 365, 366, and 367 neck bushings for my Competition Redding Neck Sizing die. Why is that? Should I still get these or get something around .3735?

Also, from my reloading manuals, the case dimension for the .338 Lapua neck outside width should be .3710 at the tip (according to Nosler). Are things different for my rifle? Explain which neck sizing bushings I ought to order and why. Finally, if I buy the three suggested, then which of the three do I run my brass through?

Thanks so much!

-Torrentuser

First off, redding bushings come in round numbers out to the thousandth ie 366, not 3665 or anything else. I believe Wilson makes bushings that come in half sizes, but you don't need to be messing with that shit in my opinion. Mic the outside of a loaded round. That is all that counts. Not the neck diameter of a fired case. If a loaded round measures say 367, then you are gonna want a 365 or 366 bushing depending on how much neck tension you want. Personally, I go for .0015 to .002 of neck tension. Remember that the bushings are under sized, so a 366 bushing will get you down to about 3355 or even smaller.

People are suggesting multiple bushings to account for thinning case walls or variances in the wall thickness of different brands of brass. Being that lapua is pretty much the only game in town with the 338, you really only need one bushing to start with

A little math:

Diameter of projectile = 0.338 inches (obviously)
Thickness of brass in neck usually = .014/.015 inches per side
.338+.014+.014=.366

Therefore a .366 neck bushing will give you .000 neck tension if your brass is .014 thick and .002 if your brass is .015 thick in the neck.

Don't try to figure out your neck tension by measuring wall thickness. Just take the macro approach and measure a loaded round

The .366 is working fine for me. Brass still chambers fine after the fire forming. I'm good to go. Thanks for everyone's advice.