• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

redding die help

micah379

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2010
Colorado ,Denver
I just got a set of redding competition dies and started sizing. I then realized the die didn't have a expander ball, I was wondering if anybody has experience with these dies,and if that's normal. The neck has some dings in it and I dont want to seat a bullet until it's smoothed out. The dies are .308
Thanks for the help

Re: redding die help

Hmmmm...

Mine came with expander ball (steel)on the de-capping stem. And a carbide ball is available from them for a upgrade.

So if you are missing a part, give them a call or email, and it should get sent out to you.

Yeah I have the redding match set for my .338 lm and the expander ball is on the decaping stem, same with my forster dies for my 300 wm,that's why I'm a little confused.

Well then without a bushing a comp sizer is doing nothing for the neck, and whether or no there is an expander ball is irrevalent! A bushing needs to be in the die! otherwise NOTHING is happening to the neck AT ALL!

I just got a set of the Redding bushing dies myself. They came with an expander and a little thing to take it's place when you aren't using it. Were your dies used?

No,I bought them new from Sinclair. The strange thing is there are no threads to even attach an expander ball on the de-capping stem. they have the expander ball on the match die sets, I don't understand why the more expensive competition set wouldn't have one. Unless it has something to do with the micrometer.

If you are going to use an expander ball, IMO, the carbide floating ball is worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No,I bought them new from Sinclair. The strange thing is there are no threads to even attach an expander ball on the de-capping stem. they have the expander ball on the match die sets, I don't understand why the more expensive competition set wouldn't have one. Unless it has something to do with the micrometer. </div></div>

Why would a sizer have a micrometer? That's the seating die.

FROGGY on reloading:

After placing the correct shell holder onto the ram I use a stiff brush to remove any dirt trapped on the surface of the shell holder. Then the Full-Length Redding resizing die goes into the press. This die is adjusted to bump the shoulder exactly .001-.002". I have removed the expander ball on the decapping shaft. Trust me, don't use the expander. In most cases it will just tweak the neck or throw it out of alignment.

Maybe its a blessing in disguise, of course your Bushing would have to have the right amount of squeeze on it and your brass would have to be perfect in the neck..

Link to the whole article

http://www.6mmbr.com/reloadingfroggy.html

What does Redding have to say about this?