• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding dies, are they worth it?

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
Has or does anybody use these high dollar dies?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=792423
I really want some good dies but are these really worth 200 bucks? I have the Competition seater die for a 7mm-08 and it is bad ass but it was only like 60 bucks back in the day. I have gotten my Remington SPS shooting dime size groups with Federal GM match 168's I just want to load some hunting stuff up now and want the same accuracy. These http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=357095 are a little cheaper without the fancy sizer die. Also witch bushing do I get the plain steel or the Ti Nitrate ones Wonder if they are just as good? Bring on the opnions

Re: Redding dies, are they worth it?

I've never really seen the need for a mic adjustment on the sizer die. I run mine down as far as it will go and adjust the bushing diameter. They're both bushing dies. Go with the "cheaper" option.

I happen to have and enjoy the higher dollar set listed.

In my opinion, the micrometer is 5X more useful on the seater die than on the sizer die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I happen to have and enjoy the higher dollar set listed.

In my opinion, the micrometer is 5X more useful on the seater die than on the sizer die. </div></div> Do you think or feel like the sleeved sizer die does a better job of sizing then the cheaper one? The micrometer is not the only difference between the two sizer dies from what I can tell.

The sleeved seater is worth the cash. A identical in function seater is available form Forrester. The Redding has a nicer finish but is about twice the money. Both give good results. The sleeved sizer with the micrometer is a waste. I rec. the type S full length sizer from Redding. I have used both style bushings and can't really say one works better.

I've used all of them. Mic dies are nice, but not needed. More helpful on a seater, IMO. Redding seater dies tend to roll pretty straight ammo. However, I still use standard Redding dies on a couple of my match rifles. I just check the ammo for runout. If the dies do their job, no need to spend more money.

You need to fire a case and measure it to select your bushing size if you go with a bushing die. I recommend the Ti nitride ones, only ones I've ever used..........

I had lee dies, and recently switched to the redding, what a huge difference in quality, machining etc... a huge step up if you ask me!

Diameter of fired case doesn't really matter on bushing selection. The diameter you need is of a loaded round of the brass you will use. Then pick two to three thousands smaller for your bushing depending of the neck tension you prefer.Fired case diameter will reflect chamber size minus some spring back.

I used to use RCBS dies and had only about 80% of loaded ammo coming out with .0015 runout or less. When I changed to the Redding benchrest/competition seating die, the amount of ammo with .0015 runout went up to 92-93%. I think it was worth the money.

Additionally, the amount of high runout rounds (over .004) went way down.

I think you are missing a zero:

I.E. you wrote 0.015 and you meant 0.0015

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use RCBS dies and had only about 80% of loaded ammo coming out with .015 runout or less. When I changed to the Redding benchrest/competition seating die, the amount of ammo with .015 runout went up to 92-93%. I think it was worth the money.

Additionally, the amount of high runout rounds (over .04) went way down. </div></div>

Yep you are correct, that missing zero makes a big difference...need more coffee.

Loads with that much runout would look really funny...and truly suck accuracy wise.

Thanks.

Depends on the thickness of the brass. I always check both. If the brass is thin, fired cases end up a good bit larger than loaded unfired. In this case, you go with a bushing .001 larger.......

I originally bought the RCBS Competition die set and have since gone to the Redding Type S FL Competition die set with the Competition Seater. It makes a big difference in runout. The Redding set is clearly better.

So yes Redding is worth it.

I compared some .223 dies: Lee, Lee Collet, RCBS, Forster, and Redding "S" FL.

Cosmetically and cost wise, Redding seemed the best and Lee Collet seemed the worst.

But when I followed populations of brass belonging to each die over many shooting at 66kpis, reloading, repeat, repeat.. cycles, the hierarchy of minimum case growth and minimum run out had Lee Collet at the top and Redding "S" dies at the bottom.

This is exactly the opposite of what I thought the test would reveal. I had been using the Redding die for years while the Lee Collet gather dust. Now the Lee collet die is getting used while the Redding "S" die gathers dust.

What does it all mean?
A guy can be wrong for years, and not know it until he does a controlled test on a significant population. Life is too short for a guy to test all variables of his reloading process for accuracy, and so we know we have some vestigial rituals.

Got the $200 Dies in today and they look very nice. Cleaned them up and and used em real quick. I have to say the instructions are great. It took like 2 minutes to set em up and they were right on for the first case. The mic neck sizer die looks and acts like the mic seater die in it construction and method of operation. It is spring loaded like the seater die. Not sure if it was worth the extra coin but I will use it for a few and see. Guess I need to buy/borrow a tool to check the runout after a load a few with em. The C.O.L. is very close on the first few loaded. <.0001 so far with the Berger 168 VLD bullets.

I think they were worth the coin. The mic on the sizer is nice and if you look how they work, They are different that the others in how they align the brass in the die to keep it straight. I don't have any "regular" .308 dies to compare them to but they are very straight (<.002 runout average, most of em .001) with Lapua brass and a .336 bushing compared to my 7mm-08 stuff I load with "cheap" RCBS stuff. These are the ones I am using. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=792423

Clark brings up a very interesting situation. I have not done a controlled test on the Redding S type dies I own versus the RCBS and Forster dies they replaced, but I know my groups haven't changed noticibly.

That being said. the Redding dies just seem to be a better quality die, and I tell myself that I am making more accurate ammo by adjusting the bushings. Maybe when I retire and can spend all day at the range every day, I will do some controlled testing (Not a shot at Clark, it is actually what I plan to do
smile.gif
)

I know the OP said he had ordered his set, and it will be interested in his thoughts after receiving the set.

madd0c

My opinion they are a step up from some.
In regards to micrometer dies....purchase a $50 magnetic dial indicator base and dial indicator. Set it up on the back of your press. Set your bullet seater to be way long and if you are fl sizing to just bump the shoulder back also set that die up where you know it will be short of the desired bump, after measuring the datum on the shoulder or the length of the now long seated bullet, determine the amount of seating or bump need and dial it down using the dial indicator for reference.
I also recommend purchasing die shims from Sinclair for should bump sizing ops...much more precise as it is difficult to get repeatable shoulder bump sizing if you use the die for other rifles and are changing the lock ring settings.

"the hierarchy of minimum case growth and minimum run out had Lee Collet at the top and Redding "S" dies at the bottom.

This is exactly the opposite of what I thought the test would reveal. I had been using the Redding die for years while the Lee Collet gather dust. Now the Lee collet die is getting used while the Redding "S" die gathers dust.

What does it all mean?"

It means you have actually tested the dies and find that shiney surfaces and neat knurling really doesn't make better ammo. Amazing how real facts can contridict gut impressions, ain't it?

The surprise isn't that Redding's dies are good, the surprise is that Lee's can be just as good and sometimes, and some ways, a bit better! That's humiliatin' too, where's the snob appeal in using Lee's dies for superiour ammo?!!
wink.gif

Redding dies are great.

I recently learned that their competition seaters dont work that well with compressed loads, which is sort of strange.

For that reasons im going to try out the Forster seater which im told is just as good and hopefully deals with compressed loads better.

Aside from that, the redding dies are high quality.

The Redding dies look like jewelry compared to some of the other
makers on the market, but it seems that the Lees have a Hugh
following also. I would assume that if you have both use what
works best. I have some Redding but I am going to go back to Lees
just to experiment.

look at what the better competitive shooters use---Redding is in the winners circle an inordinate number of times

"look at what the better competitive shooters use---Redding is in the winners circle an inordinate number of times"

Shrinking groups .01 MOA helps a little in competition but it ain't hardly meaningful in the real world. Both Redding and Forster dies have strong followings but the use of either won't automatically produce better quality ammo every time for every user.

Most common dies load very well. The better designs of those two "competition" die brands may allow a skilled user to squeeze a tad more accuracy out of a rig but the differences aren't vast.

The Redding dies are awesome. I have that exact set. Now I have this because of the deal I received in reloading equipment. It's all I ever used, so I can't say I've used other dies. However, if I had to pay for my own set I would probably venture for something cheaper because I'm not a competitive shooter (at least not against other people) so a cheaper set would suffice for me. If you're looking for the utmost in accuracy in your loads, then this is a great set!

My only gripe with Redding is that their dies do not fit the box they came in after assembly; one would think that they could arrange that.

"I've never had a bad Redding die. As said - I wish they would supply a box that fit their dies once adjusted."

+1

I'm a big fan of the Redding busing dies. Consistent quality in the sets I have bought. I also have had good luck with Wilson bushing dies.

I have a few sets of Redding dies and they are top quality.As someone else already stated,all of the dies on the market will make good ammo,if used correctly.To see much difference you have to have a really accurate rifle or be a really gifted shooter or both.Having said all of this,you will like your Redding dies.Knowing that you have the best never hurts. Lightman

I've been using the Lee collet and seating dies and have been getting great results with them. I was skeptical about how well they worked because they're so inexpensive. I considered getting the Redding dies based on the great reputation they have. But after seeing this video I borrowed a runout gauge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEas38vkKg&NR=1
I'm not replacing my Lee collet die! For me, it works great and produces damn near perfect brass.
Also pretty impressed with my Lee seater die.

Not trying to disagree with the experts here, as they have more experience than I will ever have and I've never used the Redding dies, but just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share.