Redding Instant Indicator vs Calipers + Comparator

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2007
Wellington, NZ via Dogtown, CA
I'm curious if anyone uses the Redding Instant Indicator to measure shoulder bump and COAL?

I've used calipers with comparator add-ons for ages, but I find them kind of finicky at times. Sometimes I have to really play around with the brass to get a reliable measurement, and get the impression that this would be a faster, more reliable method. I have a turret press, so real estate isn't an issue, but the cost of the die is pretty pricey too.

giumau1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2020
I found it very useful, expecially while sizing brass. I use two presses, one with the II and the other with the FL die. I can check every piece of brass this way and shoulder bump comes perfect.
To me, worth every penny. I do most 6.5 cm and 6 cm so one is enough.

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2007
Wellington, NZ via Dogtown, CA
I asked Redding if they planned to make an Instant Indicator for .300NM or do any custom work. The response was pretty succinct:

"Sorry we have no plans for producing the 300 norma mag in the instant indicator and we will not make a custom."

jmackey

Sure miss my reading vision
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2013
I like it for case sizing on a Dillon 650/750. Gives instant readout as I go.

6MT

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2014
ITU Zone 2
Interesting tool. I have never seen it before. So if I want one for .223rem, 6.5CM, 6.5x47L, .308win, and .338LM, how do I order it? Do I order one with the dial indicator and then the rest without? The link shows the tool, but the description is vague.

Any help is appreciated.