• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Redding Resizing die issues

brusky21

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2013
GA, TN, UT
Hi all, I am fairly new to reloading, so I hope this is just something simple I am overlooking. I just purchased and set up a Hornaday LnL single stage press with redding resizer/decapping die for 6.5 CM. I lubed up my brass with Hornaday one shot case lube, and I attempted to begin to resize/decap. The casing goes about half way into the sizing die before it totally binds up and will not go any further in and requires quite a bit of force on the lever to pry it free from the die. I'm not sure what exactly is going on here. Any ideas?

I am not a big fan of the hornady one shot case lube,I use imperial.But on the other hand I bought one of there master hunter set of dies and was having the same problem with the FL die.They ended up sending me a different expander mandrel and it seems to work fine now.

One shot is not the best lube. However, presuming that is not the cause, make sure the expander is not set too high in the die. If the expander is set up near the neck, then the brass will get pinched between the die and the expander. As a test, remove the expander/decapping assembly altogether and try sizing a case. If it still binds, then try another lube, if it goes in smoothly, then you're located your issue.

With the decapper removed I still have the same problem. I'll pick up some different lube tomorrow and give it a shot. Otherwise I'll be contacting Redding. I hear they have a good CS department

With the decapper removed I still have the same problem. I'll pick up some different lube tomorrow and give it a shot. Otherwise I'll be contacting Redding. I hear they have a good CS department

I highly doubt it is the lube. I only notice issues with the lube on extraction. Just a question...are you sure you have the correct sized bushing? Installed correctly?

I highly doubt it is the lube. I only notice issues with the lube on extraction. Just a question...are you sure you have the correct sized bushing? Installed correctly?

I'm not sure. How do I check? When I got the dies yesterday, I just threw them onto the press and then arrived at my current predicament. I assumed since they are 6.5 CM dies and I'm resizing 6.5 CM than it should be fine....but I might be wrong.

I also load on a Hornady lnl single stage, and had terrible problems using Hornady lube. Switched to Dillon spray-on lube and my problems went away. YMMV

According to the MidwayUsa link posted by the OP, he's using a standard FL sizing die, not a bushing die.

I also load on a Hornady lnl single stage, and had terrible problems using Hornady lube. Switched to Dillon spray-on lube and my problems went away. YMMV

Did you have problems mashing the shell into the resizer or did it get stuck when you tried to pull it out?

So I switched up the lube to Dillon and it seemed to fix the problem, however, after I size the cases, the are small dents on the shoulders of the casings. Is this normal? This doesn't seem very precise or uniform....

You are likely using too much of the Dillon spray lube and getting hydraulic denting of the cases. It should not give you any denting issues when used properly. How many sprays are you doing?

I personally use a lot of Dillon's spray lube as it's cheap, locally available, and it works well. I have a pan with a towel in the bottom and line up two rows of approximately 20 cases each with the necks all pointed one direction. In the direction of the necks I sweep across the cases with one spray from the right and one spray to the left. rotate cases 180 degrees and repeat. The cases then get shaken around in the tray and then go into another container where they dry for at least five minutes. The should feel slightly greasy, but not wet if properly lubed.

I wouldn't worry too much about any small dents as long as they are not too deep or excessive. How bad is the denting? I've seen some here post some pictures of some crazy denting, but if it's just small pin sized dents I personally would just shoot them.

I resized 25 cases and put them into a tray and began to run them thru my lyman case prep center before I even noticed any of the dents so they aren't super deep. in fact you can't really see them unless the light hits the case just right. I'll load up a batch and take them to range and find out. Also, I tried putting a little less lube on a few of the cases and I ran into the same problem I had earlier with the case jamming in the die.

You making sure you are getting some inside the case neck, correct? Don't want to be running dry necks over that expander button. Only other thing I can think of is to wait just a little bit longer on letting your lube dry all the way.

Get some Imperial Wax....or the Hornady One-Shot wax in a can. Good Stuff! I only use the One-Shot spray on large batches of 223. Never a problem there.

So I switched up the lube to Dillon and it seemed to fix the problem, however, after I size the cases, the are small dents on the shoulders of the casings. Is this normal? This doesn't seem very precise or uniform....

that is a sign of too much lube.
did you clean the die before using it, redding as a tendency to oil up their dies, that dried up oil gets sticky.
I have been reloading with one shot lube for over 8 years and never had a problem, let it dry for at least 5 minutes before sizing.
cheers

Last edited:
that is a sign of too much lube.
did you clean the die before using it, redding as a tendency to oil up their dies, that dried up oil gets sticky.
I have been reloading with one shot lube for over 8 years and never had a problem, let it dry for at least 5 minutes before sizing.
cheers

I didn't. Should I use a solvent on the inside of the sizing die?

Lube inside of necks when using expander balls.

imperial sizing wax, get some.

most important place to lube is the base of the case near the case head, less lube on shoulders.

you should not feel any sticking or squeaking when case goes into die or retracting out of the die.