• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reducer from 35mm to 34mm (scope rings)

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Does anybody made these? I see lots for the more popular sizes made out of Delrin.

I’ve got these cool TierOne 35mm rings for my CZ dovetail, but am switching scopes around.

Maybe there’s a DIY option?

I used a few wraps of electrical tape as a temporary fix on some 35mm rings I had until I could buy new rings. It has worked so well that it has stayed that way for over a year with no issues. Maybe not the best option but it has certainly worked as a DIY fix. It is on a 308 and I have not seen any issues after about 1000 rounds so I guess I can’t argue with success.

I would use a 1mm piece of "shim stock" instead of putting plastic in there. Maybe my engineering background has made me biased.

Don’t you mean 0.5mm? And how does one obtain shim stock? What is it made of?

Thanks for the ideas thus far!

Reactions: Tperry
Yes, you would want 0.5mm if you were to go that route. It comes in all different materials. You can find it at industrial supply places like Grainger and McMaster-Carr.

Aaaaand the winners are Scotch_Egg (I will reach out to TierOne) and Lord koshkin from the Dark Land of OpticThoughts/OpticTalk. Aadland's are backordered, I see, but I will inquire.

Thank you for the help, everybody!

Sorry for dusting off a necro thread... but I ended up DIY'ing just this today to make an adapter for one of my USO's in one of my Sphur's. Didn't want to buy another mount, as much as I love Sphur's.

First, shim stock is an option. BUT is very difficult to cut and bend well. You can end up with edge issues (rolled edges from cutting). The 'best' way to do it is to start with steel or aluminum tubing and turn 0.5mm thick tube in the correct OD and ID. In this case, 35mm - 34mm.

adapters.jpg

These were turned out of some 1/8" wall tube stock (non-welded) that I had lying around. Mild steel. I left them round until I could scribe the lines where I want to split them. I'll split on bandsaw tomorrow and then dress the edges on a belt sander. They are exact fit on OD and ID and once fit, will be perfectly aligned. The outer surface looks rough, but it's more optics than anything. Total time to make the pair about an hour.

Just thought I'd share this for those with access to lathes... it is most certainly possible to make a very effective adapter.

I also bored out a nice beefy pair of Badger rings for my other scope. Removing just under .020" per side (half mm). Lots of meat on the rings for that cut. The big challenge is fixturing, but I simply made a 34mm bar and clamped 'half' the ring on it. Then bored to half the depth. Made another bar in 35mm and flipped the rings around to cut the other end. Then trued on a pin hone and recut the reliefs on the sides in a mill. That took a bit more equipment, but not much time. Fits like a glove.

spacer.jpg

Note that it is not tightened yet, as I don't have my leveling fixture here at the house... So there is a bit more gap than there will be on the tightened unit. And I know my Badger Warranty is now void. But, hey, I take full responsibility!

A couple of shop hours saved me buying two expensive mount sets...

Again, sorry about the necrothread, but I was going to post this and LL's sneaky AI system pointed me to this thread. Figured it was better to put here than to start yet another thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: carbonbased