• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Release triggers- why not?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I'm probably going to regret asking- likely there's some obvious reason this is a bad idea, but given that it's escaping me here goes...

Why not, on a target rifle? Everything I've read (shotgunning is rare for me) points to the release trigger being an interesting idea for this- fewer muscles involved, less possibility of jerking the trigger sideways as with the pull trigger. Obviously not well suited for certain types of competition or hunting rifles, but I can't see why this wouldn't work well in other applications.

For those of you that use them shotgunning, what am I missing?

I am not familiar with "release triggers". Do I understand you correct that with such a trigger, you pull the trigger until it stops, but the firearm does not fire. Only when you release the trigger, will the firearm fire? If so, it is a very interesting idea to potentially improve trigger control!

That being said, I think due to safety concerns, it will probably get banned from shooting ranges very quickly.

Keen to see what other people think.

Thank you for enlightening me @Wannashootit. Always great learning something new.

I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance here. I've never heard of one.

Could a person get into a situation where they've set the trigger, decided not to shoot, then have to stand there with their finger on the trigger for the rest of the day? Is there a way to decock the firing pin?

Release triggers have always been controversial &, mostly useless.
    I've read about quite a few guys that have tried a release trigger, only to return to a standard type.
    They are inherently dangerous & take some training to master. Many Shotgun ranges don't allow them or at least didn't allow them last time I checked which, was some years ago.
    In truth, release triggers are a shit way of supposedly reducing flinch. Instead of the shooter training & practicing tried & proven methods, there are those who prefer what they believe to be a quick, easy fix.
    Since shooting "fast moving" aerial targets with dynamic gun movement is not what rifle shooting is about, I don't believe release triggers would accomplish anything positive & would only serve to introduce an ineffective & inherently dangerous situation into rifle shooting sports.

Reactions: larryh128
    This is an incredibly stupid idea that will get people hurt. The 4 firearm rules are already too difficult for some people to follow, and this would add a dangerous exception to those rules. We are creatures of habit, and we need to keep it simple. This is like swapping the gas and brake pedal location on a car for no good reason. Imagine the person that forms the habit of pressing that bang switch and holding it until they are ready to send it, then going to grab their self defense weapon during an adrenaline fueled panic. Very bad things will result.

This is a lawsuit just waiting to happen for both the trigger manufacturer and ranges that allow it. Of all the dumb ideas in the firearm world, this one has to be in the top 3.

Reactions: larryh128
    Release triggers are a trapshooter thing to cover up the nasty flinch that many developed by shooting hundreds of thousands of excessively powerful (for clay targets) loads.

Copying ANYTHING shotgunners do is 1000% a bad idea. As a whole, clay shooters have the absolute worst safety habits and gun handling skills of any group of shooters. We should want absolutely NOTHING to do with them or how they do anything.

For complete disclosure I began shooting skeet and sporting clays competitively in 1999, came and went into the sport once or twice, won several class championships and made it to A class in sporting clays by the time that I finally had enough of the unsafe incompetence in 2018.

Contemplating selling all my shotguns except a beater 870 with a 16" barrel.

i own an incredible Superposed shotgun made around 1935 that was hand crafted by FN and everything about it is perfect and beautiful. Except around 1982, someone installed a release trigger on one of its barrels. and i hate it. Yes, its a part of that firearm's history. Yes, it was done by Guy Daniels, who was Browning's factory trigger man. When I get some time, i will be sending the gun to Art's to tighten up the action and return the triggers back to factory specs and uninstall the release trigger. i will keep the trigger parts with the gun and they will go with the shotgun when i decide to sell it.

im not upset that someone wanted it, and its common in trap shooters and their guns. maybe im wrong, but i dont see it as a safety issue in a target/trap shotgun. i think its a completely horrible idea in a rifle or pistol of any sort.

i own an incredible Superposed shotgun made around 1935 that was hand crafted by FN and everything about it is perfect and beautiful. Except around 1982, someone installed a release trigger on one of its barrels. and i hate it. Yes, its a part of that firearm's history. Yes, it was done by Guy Daniels, who was Browning's factory trigger man. When I get some time, i will be sending the gun to Art's to tighten up the action and return the triggers back to factory specs and uninstall the release trigger. i will keep the trigger parts with the gun and they will go with the shotgun when i decide to sell it.

im not upset that someone wanted it, and its common in trap shooters and their guns. maybe im wrong, but i dont see it as a safety issue in a target/trap shotgun. i think its a completely horrible idea in a rifle or pistol of any sort.
    I haven't heard of any deaths or serious injury from release triggers but, I have seen 1 very dangerous accidental discharge years ago from a guy who'd owned the gun in that configuration for years. He didn't use it in competition & I'm not sure that he was allowed to use it at his club but, he had used it many times during practice & said he was familiar with it's use. That was about 5 mins before he stood on the firing line, activated the trigger, then the trap decides to play up with a string of broken targets. As we were trying to clear the trap, he momentarily forgot the release trigger & let the trigger go. He nearly shit his self & decided to use his main gun instead.
    I don't know why they even allow release triggers to be used on a gun range.

I've wondered this myself since I shot trap a lot as a kid and my dad still shoots a lot of trap. He started shooting rifles again a few years ago and he struggles to pull a trigger even on a suppressed 22 rifle. I don't see how it would be any less safe than a pull trigger on a bench gun. I'd love to be able to shoot some long range with my dad but he's done after 6-8 rounds.

I was an ATA shooters for years...after I had my first shoulder surgery I developed a bad flinch and tired a release trigger for about 2 months. I was shooting a single barrel BT-99. It seemed 'quicker' if that makes sense....but took a while to master i.e. muscle memory (from actual firing the gun to the safety aspect). In the short term (first month) my singles average improved but by the second month I was back to where I started. BUT....then I would shoot doubles and with over/under with standard trigger/selector and my scores went to hell. I went back to the standard trigger as it was just not worth the effort.

As stated by many, release triggers were mainly found in trap guns. They are, were and always will be very dangerous. I personally wouldn't shoot in a squad where 1 was being used. I've seen them do a lot of things but never really cure a flinch. Horrible idea.

What if you were prepping/staging the trigger and all of a sudden the conditions for firing changes and you had to pause shooting. Hold your trigger finger backwards and adjust to the changing conditions? Put it back on safe before releasing the trigger and hope that the firearm doesn't go off? The normal response for most people would be to release the trigger and take their finger out of the trigger guard.

Release triggers are how you have terrible accidents.

Standard trigger, the gun does not go off until you pull the trigger back all the way and at any moment before that, you can stop, and back away and done.

Now with the stupid release trigger, you are all ready to take the shot and have squeezed the trigger and are waiting to release it to make the shot and for some reason you really need to not take the shot, now what????

I competed at American Skeet for a fairly long time and know skeet shooters all across the country.

I know HOF skeet shooters who use release triggers (typically release/pull) due to having developed a flinch that just won't let them pull the trigger.

I know of some of these guys who also compete at the very top level of the sport with these type triggers.

The gun must have a sticker indicating release triggers and everybody on the squad and the ref need to know the deal with that shooter's gun.

Whenever I saw someone with release triggers, I kept a somewhat closer eye on them if something came up during the event as it is indeed a bit easier to mishandle them.

I'm fine with release triggers on a break action shotgun as, if there is any sort of interruption, the gun can easily be made safe and unloaded without needing to release the trigger and firing.

The same cannot be said, IMO, for release triggers in a semi-auto. To my mind, the only safe say to "safe" a semi-auto with cocked release trigger is to fire it down range/into the ground. I do NOT like release triggers in a semi-auto but I do know shooters who use them for doubles/12 ga events and have done so safely for a very long time. Just not my cup of tea.

I believe that in shotgun sports, release triggers can be safely used and will relieve a very real impediment to the shooter...the flinch.

And yes, this is mostly applicable to trap shooters shooting from the handicap lines with small mortar shells that they load up and call 12 ga ammo! That is some flinch inducing shit there.

I cannot see ever putting release triggers in a bolt action or semi-auto rifle which would be far more difficult to safely clear in case of an interruption. Its just not the same.

Now, I generally agree with my friend @308pirate but I do not agree with him when he opines that shotgunners have the "worst safety habits and gun handling skills" Not sure wtf he was shooting with, but it certainly wasn't the type of people I squaded with. But, we are all entitled to our opinions...well, mostly! haha

In my experience, some young dumb fuck, or an older "oh, I'm so scared of COVID I need to go buy a gun now" dumb fuck, with their inexpensive AR that they just bought (and have no idea how to use properly) and are doing mag dumps at the range are the ones who scare me. And they still can't hit shit at just 50 yds. The ones who can't understand that being "cold, do not touch your gun" really means "COLD, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FUCKING GUN FOR ANY REASON!". Now, those are the guys I keep a very close eye on.

Cheers

Release triggers have their place in the clay sports but I don’t see one for precision rifles. That said, the Franklin Armory Binary triggers are a hybrid release trigger that’s been out there for a while for some semiauto rifles and carbines.

Now, I generally agree with my friend @308pirate but I do not agree with him when he opines that shotgunners have the "worst safety habits and gun handling skills" Not sure wtf he was shooting with, but it certainly wasn't the type of people I squaded with. But, we are all entitled to our opinions...well, mostly! haha

In my experience, some young dumb fuck, or an older "oh, I'm so scared of COVID I need to go buy a gun now" dumb fuck, with their inexpensive AR that they just bought (and have no idea how to use properly) and are doing mag dumps at the range are the ones who scare me. And they still can't hit shit at just 50 yds. The ones who can't understand that being "cold, do not touch your gun" really means "COLD, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FUCKING GUN FOR ANY REASON!". Now, those are the guys I keep a very close eye on.

Cheers

I've lost track of how often I've been muzzle swept, or seen someone else muzzle swept, through casual disregard on the trap/skeet range. I've only ever shot sporting clays alone (clearly not a competitor), so I can't comment there. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about folks resting the gun on their toes - but the absolutely disregard for weapon orientation as it comes out of the rack or as the shooter goes on/off a firing position has always been pretty staggering to me.

In that config it sounds like it was used for speed kind of like a binary trigger for killing clays.

Make sure shot one is always on the pull and take shot two on the release.

In order to be able to master that you would have to be a shotgun Ninja......and that gun sounds cool enough that a master of the dark arts may have been such a person.

I'd rather have an electronic trigger like some free pistols.
    Although I did use a fairly heavy free pistol trigger - about 25g. :)

In that config it sounds like it was used for speed kind of like a binary trigger for killing clays.

Make sure shot one is always on the pull and take shot two on the release.

In order to be able to master that you would have to be a shotgun Ninja......and that gun sounds cool enough that a master of the dark arts may have been such a person.

yeah, doesnt work like a binary on the double barrel, but that would be something. These are inertia triggers, so you fire the regular trigger, inertia moves the selector over to the other barrel, but you still have to release and and pin the trigger back on the release trigger and then it fires when it comes forward. its awkward.

its definitely set up to where you fire the release trigger first as you wait for the target to come into view.

yeah, doesnt work like a binary on the double barrel, but that would be something. These are inertia triggers, so you fire the regular trigger, inertia moves the selector over to the other barrel, but you still have to release and and pin the trigger back on the release trigger and then it fires when it comes forward. its awkward.

its definitely set up to where you fire the release trigger first as you wait for the target to come into view.

You gots cool guns.......wish I could be more like you.

Copying ANYTHING shotgunners do is 1000% a bad idea. As a whole, clay shooters have the absolute worst safety habits and gun handling skills of any group of shooters. We should want absolutely NOTHING to do with them or how they do anything.
    You mean like this nifty shotgunner’s item for blowing your foot off?

When I was an RO at the Snipers Hide Cup, I had a guy that I was instructing on the stage he was about to shoot. He was resting his muzzle on his boot. I didn’t think much of it and matter of factly reminded him it was a safety violation. Well, he looked at me like I had three heads and said “really”??? I said “Yes, pointing your muzzle at anyone is grounds for a DQ and that includes yourself”. This was particularly relevant on this stage because they were climbing into the back of a unimog with their gear, to shoot, as part of the stage. It was tricky and making sure they did not sweep themselves, me or the other shooters required vigilance.

Later when I saw this item, it occurred to me that he must have been a clay shooter and in those circles this must be the norm.

510A6BD4-50F5-4F76-BA2D-CE5131D1769C.jpeg

When I was an RO at the Snipers Hide Cup, I had a guy that I was instructing on the stage he was about to shoot. He was resting his muzzle on his boot. I didn’t think much of it and matter of factly reminded him it was a safety violation. Well, he looked at me like I had three heads and said “really”??? I said “Yes, pointing your muzzle at anyone is grounds for a DQ and that includes yourself”. This was particularly relevant on this stage because they were climbing into the back of a unimog with their gear, to shoot, as part of the stage. It was tricky and making sure they did not sweep themselves, me or the other shooters required vigilance.

Later when I saw this item, it occurred to me that he must have been a clay shooter and in those circles this must be the norm.

View attachment 7751036

Well the package does have a warning in all caps.

• Haha
    Reactions: Holliday

View attachment 7751036

Yeah, retardation like that. And carrying guns this way
    senior-man-hunter-holding-shotgun-shoulder-senior-caucasian-man-hunting-gun-looking-away-man-grey-beard-wearing-161669184.jpg

Judas priest, with the IQs around here……. Seriously its freakin scary sometimes. Besides being downrights stupid, it’s against basic gun handling rules and produces training scars…..Hence a guy doing it on the line with his bolt action…..

Last edited:
    I competed at American Skeet for a fairly long time and know skeet shooters all across the country.

I know HOF skeet shooters who use release triggers (typically release/pull) due to having developed a flinch that just won't let them pull the trigger.

I know of some of these guys who also compete at the very top level of the sport with these type triggers.

The gun must have a sticker indicating release triggers and everybody on the squad and the ref need to know the deal with that shooter's gun.

Whenever I saw someone with release triggers, I kept a somewhat closer eye on them if something came up during the event as it is indeed a bit easier to mishandle them.

I'm fine with release triggers on a break action shotgun as, if there is any sort of interruption, the gun can easily be made safe and unloaded without needing to release the trigger and firing.

The same cannot be said, IMO, for release triggers in a semi-auto. To my mind, the only safe say to "safe" a semi-auto with cocked release trigger is to fire it down range/into the ground. I do NOT like release triggers in a semi-auto but I do know shooters who use them for doubles/12 ga events and have done so safely for a very long time. Just not my cup of tea.

I believe that in shotgun sports, release triggers can be safely used and will relieve a very real impediment to the shooter...the flinch.

And yes, this is mostly applicable to trap shooters shooting from the handicap lines with small mortar shells that they load up and call 12 ga ammo! That is some flinch inducing shit there.

I cannot see ever putting release triggers in a bolt action or semi-auto rifle which would be far more difficult to safely clear in case of an interruption. Its just not the same.

Cheers

Firearms handling that will get you thrown out of a rifle event on your ear is not even thought about at a shotgun event. I've never been muzzle swept at a PRS event. I've never not been muzzle swept at a shotgun event.

Reactions: D_TROS
    Yeah, the skeet shooters think the trap shooters are morons and vice a versa.

The rifle guys think the shotgun guys are morons....and vice a versa.

The pistol guys hold everyone else in contempt.

Everybody thinks the 3 gun guys are dangerous.

On and on and its always been such and always will.

I'll just stick to my lane and not worry about what others are doing.

By the by, I shot 14-16 skeet tournaments/year with another 10K practice rounds annually for about 30 years or so and have never seen a negligent discharge on a skeet field much less an injury. YMMV

I’ve wondered about a release trigger, specifically on a bench gun.

Seems to me that release trigger could remove a major source (for me anyway) for disruption during the shot. But I also generally trust that the gamers have thought of all this before & there is a reason it doesn’t work.

But I know personally what kind of human error that having release triggers creates.

I ran a relax release on a compound bow for years. Never had an issue until I was shooting a buddies brand new bow. I strapped on his traditional release….pulled halfway back & muscle memory punched the trigger. Launched an arrow off into the woods.

We laughed but it was a negligent discharge on my part. On a High power rifle it is a whole different animal.

Edit: for iPhone fingers

Last edited:
    Almost any piece of equipment can be operated safely by an experienced user knowledgeable about the equipment. Almost any piece of equipment can be an unmitigated disaster in the hands of the inexperienced or unwary. This is part of the reason why shotguns equipped with release triggers wear bright orange stickers that announce their presence in the guns.

As mentioned the Franklin armory binary trigger fires on release, and can be put into a safe configuration in between the pull and release discharge. There is no reason why a release trigger could not be created for a rifle that would function similarly. I think too many people confound different with dangerous.

As mentioned the Franklin armory binary trigger fires on release, and can be put into a safe configuration in between the pull and release discharge. There is no reason why a release trigger could not be created for a rifle that would function similarly. I think too many people confound different with dangerous.
    This is my take.
    A lot of good feedback here from those that have used them- interesting that even there, some like them, some do not...

I don't see them being more "dangerous" than a pull trigger, in bench/prone target shooting.
    If a shooter's finger is never on the trigger unless the barrel is pointed safely downrange at the target (which should ALWAYS be the case), an AD caused by a brain-dead shooter would end up in the berm.

It may very well be that it may not be a way to improve trigger control for those with poor form or flinching issues- but I am surprised that it's (apparently) never been explored in the BR world.

Reactions: Bradu
    Why would it be? When trying to eliminate any shooter input: why would one count on the removal of that very input for the critical interaction point?
    Bench rest shooters already use crazy light triggers (like a couple of ounces) to eliminate any errant input they may cause on the trigger. Release triggers are just another idea. I can invision a trigger with a heavy pull weight, but a very light release weight which would make it virtually impossible to pull accidentally, and also difficult to release negligently. Add in a safety that can be engaged while the trigger is held (like the FA binary) and “bob’s your uncle.“

Almost any piece of equipment can be operated safely by an experienced user knowledgeable about the equipment. Almost any piece of equipment can be an unmitigated disaster in the hands of the inexperienced or unwary. This is part of the reason why shotguns equipped with release triggers wear bright orange stickers that announce their presence in the guns.

Exactly. I've been around release triggers for close to 30 years. They can be disarmed in shotguns with no problems, not any more difficult than decocking the hammer on a revolver. You keep the gun pointed in a safe direction same as a revolver. Should we say revolvers are stupid and shouldn't exist...

Exactly. I've been around release triggers for close to 30 years. They can be disarmed in shotguns with no problems, not any more difficult than decocking the hammer on a revolver. You keep the gun pointed in a safe direction same as a revolver. Should we say revolvers are stupid and shouldn't exist...

I can't get behind that analogy. Cocked revolver takes a willful trigger pull to go off and their disarmament were part of their OEM design. It can also be done intuitively with one hand.

Release trigger takes two hands to disable

I can't get behind that analogy. Cocked revolver takes a willful trigger pull to go off and their disarmament were part of their OEM design. It can also be done intuitively with one hand.

Can a revolver fire if someone incompetent or inexperienced lets the hammer get away from them in the process?

Why would it be? When trying to eliminate any shooter input: why would one count on the removal of that very input for the critical interaction point?
    Read your own post. You gave the answer to your own question. Remove/eliminate are pretty much the same thing here, and that’s the reason why.

Release triggers are how you have terrible accidents.

Standard trigger, the gun does not go off until you pull the trigger back all the way and at any moment before that, you can stop, and back away and done.

Now with the stupid release trigger, you are all ready to take the shot and have squeezed the trigger and are waiting to release it to make the shot and for some reason you really need to not take the shot, now what????

Erhmagherd!
    Maybe put the safety on?
    🙄

Read your own post. You gave the answer to your own question. Remove/eliminate are pretty much the same thing here, and that’s the reason why.
    let me rephrase

When trying to eliminate any shooter input: how is going the opposite direction and requiring shooter input a logical step towards that goal.

Last edited:
    let me rephrase

When trying to eliminate any shooter input: how is going the opposite direction and requiring shooter input a logical step towards that goal.
    That’s the opposite of what you said before.
    Regardless, what “required input” are you talking about that would be present in a release trigger but not in normal triggers?

A trigger pull or release is always a “required input”.

Well it’s what I meant. It’s still how I interpret what I said.

Youre not going to be able to hold two ounces. If you do then you’re bottoming it out and I putting more than that.

Well it’s what I meant. It’s still how I interpret what I said.

Youre not going to be able to hold two ounces. If you do then you’re bottoming it out and I putting more than that.
    So what? It’s the pull or release that matters and what other grip inputs the shooter makes at that time.
    I don’t think your logic here really flows through all the way.

No one in this thread has used a release trigger on a rifle- including me. We are dealing with “feelz” not facts. ‘It is weird and wrong and here are the subjective reasons why…’ I would like to see one. It would be better than that thumb trigger abomination that Blackwater (yes, that Blackwater) made for the AR15. (I did get to shoot one of those.) Would be safer than a Serbu 50 cal too…

The gross vs fine motor movements post is facts. You can more precisely squeeze your finger than release it to put it simply.

I am a long time shotgun competitor. It doesn't take two hands to disable. I shoot a release on a single shot Krieghoff, if you don't get a target, you hold the trigger back and push the lever over with your thumb. Nothing dangerous about a release. When you can shoot a rifle with a 4-8 ounce trigger, I can't see much of an advantage. It would cure someone who milks the grip I guess.

If they were a better option you'd see them in BR - you already have actions that don't have safeties. But my guess is the trigger complication and results aren't enough to warrant it there, and for most other types of shooting the risk measures become way too high.