• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 bolt / firing pin problems

rockslut

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2009
First post here guys, but i have been learning from you all for some time. I went out shooting today after about 6 shots i noticed a little smoke coming from the end of the bolt nearest my face. i pulled the spent brass and found this

brass.jpg

the hole in the primmer was real tight and round i took a small screwdriver to it because i thought that there was a small piese of my firing pin brick off in it buy that wasent the case
First thought was maybe a bad primer (CCI MAG Primer) So i through another round in it. I started squeeze the trigger i felt a small click but no ignition. Now i figured there must be something wrong with the firing pin. I lifted my head off the stock buy still being careful with the like round and BANG gos the 300RUM The round still hit the target so i wasent to far out of position when it went off. But scared the piss out of me. No primer damage just the slight cratering mark it has left on the last 500 rounds fired.
So i pulled the bolt and everything seemed to be in good working order. I dry fired it about 10-15 times and there didnt seem to be anything wrong . There was a good hard snap. So i tried it again same thing happened a small click and then any little bump or movement would fire the round.

bolthead.jpg

When i got the gun back home i tore the bolt apart and didnt find anything wrong. I have had a Timney trigger in it for about the last 300 rounds about a year. with no problems.
The bolt is a j lock style if anyone thinks that may have something to do with it. Any ideas of were to start??
Thanks, Mike

Re: Rem 700 bolt / firing pin problems

I know it only been a 1/2 hour but no help so far. I did figure some thing out. Its my trigger, i broke the gun down so i could get a good look at it. i can here it in the trigger click and then i can just flick it with my finger and then hear the hammer fire the pin. So i will try to do some reserch on the Timney triggers

What happened to you is also what happened to me a few weeks ago.

Everything is fine, the rifle fires, you blow a primer. Part of your primer finds its way into the trigger mechanism, binding it in any number of ways....MINE was in such a way that the weapon wouldnt re-cock with the cycling of the action. Yours is either binding the sear of your trigger, or the firing pin of your bolt, but since you inspected/cleaned your bolt, focus on the trigger.

Your looking for a peice of metal about 2-3 times the size of a period on this page. get that out of the equation. After the primer is removed, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">CONDUCT A FUNCTIONS CHECK!!!</span></span>

Wheres-Waldo you nailed it i started by useing air to blow out the trigger i first wraped it with a paper towel to try to catch anything. Sure enough there was a little of grit in there. every thing seems to work well now. Thanks, Mike