• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Bolt Torque on decocked bolt lift

mavrick10_2000

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2009
Oklahoma
I've been working on my shooting technique, but I'm having what seems to be excessive torque on the bolt lift once I've fired a round. I tried to keep my cheekweld and lift the bolt and I felt a slight pop in my shoulder- burned for about 3 hours.

What is causing this added torque during a decocked bolt lift? Timing, crap firing pin/spring assembly, lugs not squared, combination of the above? I want to reduce this as much as possible so I can maintain proper position between shots and not get micro-tears in my damn shoulder.

Re: Rem 700 Bolt Torque on decocked bolt lift

i am not sure what you consider "excessive" but on bolt lift, you are camming the firing pin/spring back into the cocked position.

I can lift my bolt with my fingers, so if you are blowing out your shoulder bolting the gun, then you may need to take it to a competent 'smith and have it checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can lift my bolt with my fingers, so if you are blowing out your shoulder bolting the gun, then you may need to take it to a competent 'smith and have it checked. </div></div>

.300Sniper: I have several other bolt guns where the effort is less - I can work the bolt with my finger tips from a firing position.

That's my point LoneWolf. I can barely move it with my fingers. I know it will require more effort due to recocking, but I shouldn't feel like I'm pulling or tearing any muscles in doing it via finger method.

Please forgive as I don't know what the technical term is, grease the back of the lugs, and apply alittle grease in the cam area where the firing pin rides when being recocked, let us know

wow......R U sure that you are feeding the rifle the proper boolits ?

i'm not sure about the water north of the red river these days...

ok, if it is really more than a normal 700, i'd look in the channel at the rear of the receiver that the cocking piece rides in. i had a slight bur on the right hand side of that channel that was causing a very stiff bolt lift as the cocking piece was dragging against it. i was able to polish the bur out and keep a drop of grease on that area now. that seemed to fix my problem.

i'm not saying that is your problem but it would be worth checking.

edit after seeing boltripper's response, is the bolt lift the same with an empty, decocked chamber?

maverick is the pressure the same after a dry fire with or just after a live round has been fired?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedMist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maverick is the pressure the same after a dry fire with or just after a live round has been fired? </div></div>

Same after dry fire. Same torqued into the HS Stock as action completely out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow......R U sure that you are feeding the rifle the proper boolits ?

i'm not sure about the water north of the red river these days... </div></div>

LOL. Yes BR the correct bullets are being used. It's identical when dryfiring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive as I don't know what the technical term is, grease the back of the lugs, and apply alittle grease in the cam area where the firing pin rides when being recocked, let us know </div></div>

No prob 427. I keep it greased appropriately with Super Lube or other bolt grease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, if it is really more than a normal 700, i'd look in the channel at the rear of the receiver that the cocking piece rides in. i had a slight bur on the right hand side of that channel that was causing a very stiff bolt lift as the cocking piece was dragging against it. i was able to polish the bur out and keep a drop of grease on that area now. that seemed to fix my problem.

i'm not saying that is your problem but it would be worth checking.

edit after seeing boltripper's response, is the bolt lift the same with an empty, decocked chamber? </div></div>

I'm going to check it for any burrs. Thanks.

Close the bolt but, don’t dry fire. Now, lift the bolt handle while it's still cocked. Was it any easier to lift compared to when it was fired?

Bolt Handle Timing may be the main culprit. Also check the cocking ramp in the back of the bolt body and cocking finger on the striker for smooth surfaces. Closely inspect the bolt lug rear for galling or any visible signs of abuse or abnormal wear.

Remove the complete firing pin assembly from the bolt body and grease the rear of the bolt lugs, the cocking ramp at the rear of the bolt body and the bolt shroud threads, re-assemble and re-try.

William,

Absolutely smooth as silk when it's cocked. I can tell you that there is some "extra" space on each side of the cocking ramp which allows for a little play when working the bolt. The cocking finger has some wiggle room in there. I don't see any galling on the rear of the locking lugs, just some finish wear. I only have 125 rds through it at this point. So I'm just getting it broken in.

I lubed the lugs again, cocking ramp and the shroud threads. Seems a little better. I've been working it so much at this point it's difficult to tell. LOL

The wiggle room is normal at the cocking ramp and striker. Remington Bolt Handles are notorious for being out of time which will make the bolt lift seem more than a little stiff. Keep it greased with shooters choice red gun grease or any high pressure synthetic grease. If there are no signs of abnormal wear then things are probably OK.

With the firing pin assembly removed insert the bolt and close it. With the lugs making full contact check the clearance between the bolt handle and rear receiver ring with feeler gauges. .010" being great, .020" being OK and +.030" being too much. Carefully open the bolt and check the amount of extraction cam contact you have between the bolt handle cam and rear receiver ring cam. Try not to let the bolt come back any when checking extraction cam contact. I hold the bolt body with my thumb at the top strap of the receiver when doing this. You won’t be able to nail down an exact measurement but, you'll get an idea as to whether or not you're getting good contact or not. If any of these areas look to have an excessive amount of space or lack of contact, timing is the culprit. If they look OK, timing may still be an issue but, less of one. It’s really hard to determine timing issues with out measuring but these tips will get you close. The rifle may just need more grease, use, range and break in time.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone. It does feel a little smoother now.

William thanks for the detail regarding test points and specs. If it continues to run a little stiff after several hundred to a 1000 rounds I'll send her your way for a checkup.