• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Rem 700 LA questions

adsc10

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
FL.
I have a couple of questions you guys may be able to help me with before I buy a used LA 700 action only with a bolt face of .557.

Is this bolt face too large for a 300wm or 300 rum build?
Does anyone foresee feeding problems with either caliber choice.

Thank you

Where are you getting the .557" number? It probably is a standard magnum action. If it is then there are mods that need to be done to get the RUM to feed correctly out of a factory mag.

The guy selling the action told me that was the measurement of the bolt face. I will be able to get my hands on it this weekend and measure it myself. It may have been used foe a 300wsm LA build. Not sure.

How much clearance is wanted/needed around the brass?

That .557 number has to be a magnum bolt face. If you have a RUM case take it with you. It's been sometime since I built one but if I remember correctly a RUM case will not pass through the feed rails on a magnum action so you can determine what basic case it's made to function with.

If you end up going with the 300 RUM. I have a Remington barrel in 300 RUM that I took off that I can let you have for $50.

Hey guys, thanks for suggestions. I already have a barrel its just what caliber now.

The rum will not fit through the feed lips on a std magnum action. I built my 338 rum on a 7mag barreled action and had to open up the feed lips a bit