• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 AAC 308 16.5" build

JUSTA5O

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2014
I first thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge represented on this site. I've been a long time lurker, recent join. Within the last year I sold my Remington 700 PSS 300 Win Mag and was missing a heavy barrel bolt gun in the safe. To bring back the fun, the goal was laid out as follows for the new build:

1. Less expensive round, more commonly available. Hence the purchase of a 308.
2. Would like to accurately shoot steel out to 700+ yards
3. Would like to hunt with it some for deer, hogs, and coyotes
4. Would like to use it in the few 3 gun matches that allow a 4th gun for bonus.
5. Would like for my son to be able to shoot it for deer and target shooting. Needs to be more compact, lighter weight.

So I found an AAC 16.5" and mounted a Leupold Mk 4 4.5-14x40 I had from a previous gun. Mounts are IOR 20moa base and detachable rings.

So for the build, I wanted to get a base line to compare throughout the build. We went out yesterday evening and shot 3 different ammo brands. The first was the Federal Match 175 gr BTHP. Next was the Winchester 168 gr match king hpbt, and final was going to be the Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX.

Because of time and the fact the Federal 175gr shot so well, I didn't get a chance to shoot the other 2. Out of the box, and after a 3 shot sighting in procedure my groups went from around 1" to 3 shots within almost the same hole and a forth flyer within half inch. I was very impressed to say the least since I had read mixed reviews about the gun. We then shot 2 and 300 yards for the heck of it.

The next plan is to mount the SWR Specwar 762 suppressor and redo my sighting in. I want to see how much Change there is suppressed and not. The next thing is I want to see if the groups open up or not.

A few initial observations. The trigger seems very heavy. I need to see if the AAC has any adjustability. The next, would be the stiffness of the bolt. My PSS action was smooth and easy, where this one is a little rougher. The stock was and remained free floating which was nice.

As far as initial purchases, I am going to investigate the trigger (I'm used to a light trigger like on my 3 gun AR's). Next is I have had a few initial conversations with Manners for a stock.

Thoughts from the Pro's? Which direction should I proceed? Not looking for a bench gun or tacti-cool looking rife, but something M40ish in style.

I'd highly recommend the Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist; I had one on one of the stub-nose 308s and I liked it a LOT, plus it is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the MCS-T. If the factory Hogue was free-floating you are a luckier man than I was, because mine touched when shot off a Caldwell Rock front rest and a bipod was a total non-starter.

Also, the X Mark Pro blows - I took the adjustment screw all the way out and it was only marginally acceptable there. I'd spring for a Timney 510 if I was spending your money.

As for the action...lubricate then cycle it a few hundred times and it'll smoothen up a bit.

I'd highly recommend the Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist; I had one on one of the stub-nose 308s and I liked it a LOT, plus it is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the MCS-T. If the factory Hogue was free-floating you are a luckier man than I was, because mine touched when shot off a Caldwell Rock front rest and a bipod was a total non-starter.

Also, the X Mark Pro blows - I took the adjustment screw all the way out and it was only marginally acceptable there. I'd spring for a Timney 510 if I was spending your money.

As for the action...lubricate then cycle it a few hundred times and it'll smoothen up a bit.

I took my adjustment screw all the way out and the lowest the pull got was 4lbs

Also try the Front Screw on the actual Trigger Housin under the Action. Counter Clock Wise 1.5-2 Turns will make a World of Difference. Make sure you put it back in the Stock and Drop Test in Fire Position after adjusting to make sure there won't be any misfires. Just bump the rifle hard on the butt stock against the ground if it doesn't go off then you're good.

Bell & Carlson is a Sure Bet for Budget Builds and won't skim on the Quality either. But for a 16.5" I would go with a Mid Rang Folder stock like the Mcree Chassis. It makes one hell of a compact package.

Only on here will somebody try to talk you out of a better product for an inferior one. A Manners makes a B&C look like a piece of trash. Nothing like crooked bedding blocks, paint flaking, and crooked and out of center sling studs that are so close you can't get a bipod and sling on. Then when you call they will typically tell you to kick rocks.

If you are willing to pay for quality, and your post suggest your are then you're not going to be happy with the B&C. A good chassis is never a bad option though but they can get a bit heavy for hunting.

Only on here will somebody try to talk you out of a better product for an inferior one.

And only on here will somebody say "My budget is X" and they get told "Eat ramen for six months and save because you HAVE to spend 2X." Which happens pretty much every day on the Hide, albeit not this particular thread.

There's no doubt whatsoever that a Manners is a superior stock to a B&C, in terms of construction and customer service.

The greater question becomes one of *value* - is a MCS-T worth the 100% cost delta of the B&C? To some it is, to some it is not...only each shooter can decide that for themselves. I don't think recommending a less expensive item is "trying to talk somebody out" of something, but rather providing an additional option.

I've been lusting after those 16.5" 700's for a while now. I'd like to drop one into a MDT LSS or Whiskey X-ray chassis to keep it light and compact at a decent price.

I put my 16.5 ACC in a LSS chassis with a Magpul CTR stock and love it! A great compact brush country hunting rig that looks to be a real good shooter.

For the trigger, I am first going to try the official Remington adjustments. If that doesn't get me down, I will do as hogtooth5r said and try the front set screw as others have done. If that doesn't work, I will drop in a Timney like I have in my competition guns.

Stocks, I like the Manners folders.