• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 and gear help.

Cfl Mike

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2011
The Land of Nod
Hi everyone, the title somes up the reason I made this, so let me be more specific. By the way I am new to this forum, I tried to look for stickies (I am not much of a computer person) but didnt see what I was looking for, so if it is there please forgive me, this forum is hard on my eye sight too lolz.

Anyways down to it,
First off I am kind of doing a budget build, well not really a build but for the gun its self. There are so many dam remington 700s, with so many options, and so many places to look, I dont like to leave a rock unturned when it comes to this stuff. Anyways what I am really asking/looking for is do they have 700s that have magazines for the 500-700 dollar price range, with a thumbhole stock, 24" barrel (and preferably a 1:10 twist)? I can understand if you dont answer this and just point me in the right direction, in fact that might prove more useful.

Now I have been around gun for most of my life but I was never into long range stuff. I already have a scope (the new SWFA SS 5-20X got the group buy CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!). What I need/need to know is where do I look for when buying mounts (do I need one for this gun?)? Any advice on good ones would be much appreciated! Also for rings, what are some good brands? I figured I would just buy SWFA's to match the scope but it seems pretty cheap for a "good one". Are those any good? What is it I need to look for in rings that make them good? (buying online here so cant really sample them).

Edit - If it makes any difference, I am looking at it in 30-06.

So once again sorry if this is "another one of these" questions, I am just kind of new to this seine and forum. I probably wont do it again, so if you can bear with me here this one time that would be great. I love to learn about this stuff so any advice/tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Remington 700 and gear help.

Double your rifle price for what you want. Buy Badger rings. 30-06 is fine.

Done. Next................

The MODEL 700 SPS DM might serve your purposes. Couple that with a good base and rings and you should be set. Warne and Badger Ordnance make good ones. Not sure about the quality of the stock Remington detachable magazine, but this rifle would be well within your price range.

O.K. you need to do some soul searching, and I can tell you mean right, so I'll help. Right NOW you don't really need the DM or thumbhole. Just shop the box stores for any ADL or SPS until you find one under $500. Keep looking. It may come with free scope and rings which are only good for your 22. The bases might be O.K. Then buy $50 Warne rings and mount that SWFA SS. Save your money and buy the DM and stock you want later. In the meantime sign up here for training. It will save you money in ammo if you really want to learn and not simply blast at the range.

Keep using your search button on here. Go back about a year's worth of posts and read on this website until you get sick of reading on it then read some more. That's what I did and it paid off huge dividends. People are much more likely to help if you put in your time researching before you ask questions. If you truly want to get into this, then you will have no problem doing that.

Ok let me be more clear, what do I need to look for when buying a mount/rail (what makes them good)? Same with rings what makes them quality?

As for the gun I am really just seeing if theres a site besides remingtions that has a list for prices, models, and options. I really shouldnt have bothered to put what I was looking for.

Mike, I would like you to introduce you to a site called "gunbroker.com" it is basically ebay for guns and I believe it will help you in your search for prices.

additionally, with regards to your other question, the answer is quite simple. Just like you can have cheap tools, cheap furniture, or cheap electronics, You also have cheap equipment. Specifically, in this case, cheap rings and mounts. The same way a cheap generic drill is inferior to a quality drill (such as DeWalt) a cheap set or rings is inferior to a quality set or rings (badgers or NF)
Although the cheap equipment may work some of the time for some jobs, they cannot be relied upon the way higher quality equipment can. I hope this answers your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I would like you to introduce you to a site called "gunbroker.com" it is basically ebay for guns and I believe it will help you in your search for prices.

additionally, with regards to your other question, the answer is quite simple. Just like you can have cheap tools, cheap furniture, or cheap electronics, You also have cheap equipment. Specifically, in this case, cheap rings and mounts. The same way a cheap generic drill is inferior to a quality drill (such as DeWalt) a cheap set or rings is inferior to a quality set or rings (badgers or NF)
Although the cheap equipment may work some of the time for some jobs, they cannot be relied upon the way higher quality equipment can. I hope this answers your question. </div></div>

Thanks, thats pretty much what I was looking for, but, as much a I like being spoon fed information, I also like learning about what makes something great, or cheap. Price isnt always an indicator of quality. So I was just wondering, what (other than price) makes rings and/or mounts quality? Is it precision metal cutting techniques? Screw adjustment/placement? Or other etc.

Also is there a certain type of mount I need to look for (and also) to fit any one gun (really a remingtion 700 obviously), other than having a picatiny rail?

I think this is good info for ya: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11315

I "chose" 2 piece Leup bases because they were free and good quality and did what I needed them to do. I chose Warne rings because they were the best quality for cheap. Manufacture quality includes holding to correct tolerances/specs and using quality material. Then, customer service and history is important. But if you want a rail, go get it, and bed it. Do some searching on Seekins and Badger and report back...

Good stuff thats what I was looking for.

Any body have any comments on the SWFA rings? They have a decent price tag, and I know they make good scopes, but im not sure on those rings.

They look similar to the rings to Burris rings. I have Seekins Rings and I am pretty happy with them.