• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 700 bolts.

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
I've got a r700 bolt to use on a build. The bolt on the left is the one I want to use on my build. When and why did remington slot the lug as shown on the bolt to the right?
20211026_181156.jpg

The one with the slot is a later one. The slot is an anti binding feature if I remember correctly. IDK if the non slotted one will fit. One way to find out.

Reactions: E. Bryant
As mentioned, an older legacy-type bolt won't fit into a newer receiver using the anti bind raceway. It's not a deal breaker though. I've modified older bolts more than a few times so that they plop into the newer actions.

I also have an alternative solution. I have a small gaggle of late model production bolts (New Old Stock) sitting on the floor. I'd happily swap you out at no cost or sell you one.

The one you have holds some appeal for guys pursuing a "period correct" type build. I personally would not use it on a new action just for this reason.

Happy to help.

C.
LRI

As mentioned, an older legacy-type bolt won't fit into a newer receiver using the anti bind raceway. It's not a deal breaker though. I've modified older bolts more than a few times so that they plop into the newer actions.

I also have an alternative solution. I have a small gaggle of late model production bolts (New Old Stock) sitting on the floor. I'd happily swap you out at no cost or sell you one.

The one you have holds some appeal for guys pursuing a "period correct" type build. I personally would not use it on a new action just for this reason.

Happy to help.

C.
LRI
Thanks for the offer, the old one got bubba'd 2 days ago.