• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 DBM opinions from guys that put them in.....and use them.

Another option is to level the stock out with Bondo, and then paint it FDE.
998DE60A-93FC-4A41-A9F4-130923CDC4B1.png

Reactions: Average guy
Lol.

Must be a Navy rifle.
You know there are very few Marines that don’t secretly long to create such a stock…we’re not the sky penis pilots Marines?

0B3F4D0B-DFCA-43CF-B5B3-E72CE227202E.png

It’s only gay if you put one on the cheek rest facing the butt of the stock.

I’ve been hand burnishing it for a few times now and it’s getting a pretty good gloss and has the feel of poly….

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s got sort of a haze though that I think would go away with a finer polish, kind of clearing the “windshield” so you can see inside.

This is the dangerous part though. I am probably happy how it is and it would be real easy for it to go bad fast.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’m thinking one more wet sand tonight with the 2000 wet/dry.

That rotten stone is mocking me, a sirens call…….

That is looking great. Perfect amount of sheen for me, but I can see exactly what you are saying

Is rotten stone a finer polishing media than 2000 wet dry?

Who has that answer?

Brownells site says theirs is rated 3f. Other websites are saying between 2000 and 4000

Reactions: pmclaine
Is rotten stone a finer polishing media than 2000 wet dry?

Who has that answer?
Yes, no, maybe? Lol. Hard to quantify since it breaks down further as you use it, but it is a polish vs material remover.

The chatoyance and depth came out very well.

You are at that moment in the project where it is very nice, and you could call it done. Or you could try that one extra thing and totally fuck it up, or elevate it to a higher level.

Choose your own adventure, lol.

Yes, no, maybe? Lol. Hard to quantify since it breaks down further as you use it, but it is a polish vs material remover.

The chatoyance and depth came out very well.

You are at that moment in the project where it is very nice, and you could call it done. Or you could try that one extra thing and totally fuck it up, or elevate it to a higher level.

Choose your own adventure, lol.
Going to go for it……..there is always krylon.

Yep, you got it right. Wonderful job that deserves a high quality bourbon and a good smoke. I’d recommend hookers too, but don’t think your wife would appreciate it!

Depth, color, and glow are all on point. Plus you have an easily repairable finish.
That’s the first “heavy” coat I left on it.

All others I paper toweled down shortly after application.

This one will haze up I am guessing.

I will let it sit in the sun window for the day before putting it back in the boiler room tonight.

I may get two more full strength “light” coats of tung oil before Friday. I’ll burnish the shit out of it between coats.

Saturday morning I’m hitting it with Rottenstone mixed with tung oil to see if that will smooth the surface.

I think the tung will be satin but the wood is so smooth now it is the gloss underneath.

Last edited:
I gave it a real light coat last night and it finally started to pop.

It feels great totally dry but you can feel the build up, no sensation of wood. I have been burnishing it in with hand heat.

I am going to give it another light coat tomorrow night to further build up a finish to polish.

I’ll hit it with 3F rottenstone/oil on Saturday. It will be like spit shining light work. May steal some of my wife’s cotton make up pads to rub it in like Mr. Miyagi.

I’ll let that dry in probably all week than hit it with 5F next Saturday.

I’ll hand burnish it all week to give it as much simulated carry use as time will allow.

Honestly, I’d give it a full week from last coat before you hit it with the rotten stone.

How do you plan to use the rotten stone? Will you make a slurry, or will you sprinkle it onto the applicator?

Honestly, I’d give it a full week from last coat before you hit it with the rotten stone.

How do you plan to use the rotten stone? Will you make a slurry, or will you sprinkle it onto the applicator?
I’m thinking oil the stock nice and wet than wet the applicator and just dip a little stone off a flat plate.

I’ll wipe polished areas with a paper towel to remove any media.

All polish will be along the length of the grain.

Absolutely gorgeous 😍
Makes me want to touch my own wood. I've got a stock that could use some tlc. Yours looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the process!

Cant wait to see the whole rifle bolted back together🤙 incredible. I bet joel russo and mike r would get a kick out of this thread👍

Reactions: pmclaine
I took a factory Tupperware stock that came on 700 VS and installed a Magpul DBM in it. Inverted the stock, secured the DBM via the action holes and then carefully traced outline on the stock. A lot of slow dremel work and constant checking fit with some filing on the DBM I finally got it to fit. Put rifle, stock and bottom metal together. Filled the mag up with ammo and slowly ran ammo. Worked like butter.

Reactions: AMGtuned and Modoc
I took a factory Tupperware stock that came on 700 VS and installed a Magpul DBM in it. Inverted the stock, secured the DBM via the action holes and then carefully traced outline on the stock. A lot of slow dremel work and constant checking fit with some filing on the DBM I finally got it to fit. Put rifle, stock and bottom metal together. Filled the mag up with ammo and slowly ran ammo. Worked like butter.
Now you tell me!

Where were you so many years ago?