• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Long Action BEST DBM???

tacsniper0888

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
Hey guys. I was wondering in your opinions what the best DBM bottom metal out there is for a Remington 700 long action? I was looking at the M-5 stealth with extended mag well opening from PT&G and the Seekins Precision. Are there any others? Personal experience is a big plus. Thanks guys and have a great day.

Re: Remington 700 Long Action BEST DBM???

Surgeon makes nice stuff, American Precision Arms makes nice stuff (not extended) but in terms of an extended well and clean lines without a protruding blade I'm a big fan of the Black Ops Precision.

It has a little plunger that preloads the magazine in the well just enough to silence the "rattle" inherent to DBM's as well. To my knowledge nobody else is doing that.

I personally own:

Badger M5
Manners Mini-chassis
used to own Surgeon (sold the rifle it was on)
APA
Soon coming, Black Ops

They're all very good and each has their own ups and downs but I for an overall "best" of what I"ve used extensively or owned drove me to the Black Ops stuff for the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Badger M5
Manners Mini-chassis
used to own Surgeon (sold the rifle it was on)
APA
Soon coming, Black Ops
</div></div>

Any one of those would work great!

Stock is a bell and Carlson A-5 fully adjustable if that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMulhern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That B&C is a 'waste'! </div></div>

+1. Absolutely miserable stock. Isn't good for anything but bench or bipod shooting. The forend has the ergonomics of a 4x4 post.

You guys don't like the B&C? I just got it in. And yes your correct about the forend but being as I don't know anyone that would build a precision long range rifle then try to shoot it offhand as such there you have it. All long range rifles are shot from a solid support of some albeit a pack or bench or bipods. Not freehand and the wide forend rides a pack great although I am going to modify mine. I'm sanding the wide flare you guys are talking about down flat with the baseline of the stock, installing a 3" picatinny rail on each side and the bottom then marine-tex texturing the pistol grip saddle and the sides of the forend aggressively then skim bedding with marine tex then having the entire stock DuraCoated in multicam with the DBM bottom metal, magazine, trigger shoe and safety, swivel studs, bipods, bolt, barreled action scope rings and bases all CeraKoted in mil-spec F.D.E. so to each his own I guess. Thanks guys.

If you shoot on a square range your absolutely right. But if you hunt with your rifles, do any competitions besides F class, or take any classes you will quickly learn to hate that stock.

Well before I start modifications to it can you go in depth on that for me? I am building a long range precision hunting rifle. Remington 700 long action .338 win mag with DBM bottom metal. I will be solely shooting prone off bipods or a pack. What are the negatives about this stock after the modification to flat sided forend? It looks just like a McMillan then or you can build it back up with fiberglass mat and resin and round it to mimic a manners or H-S Precision. Info and opinion guys, please?! Thanks.

I can't really add to anything except to say that I have Badger M5 dbm and like it but the next one I get will be a Surgeon just because I want to try it.

I can't say much about the B&C stock but I can tell you you will at some point want to try something else so just shoot what you have and have fun.

As for stocks I have always liked the Mcm A5 they just fit me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quigley77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Surgeon! It's a nice unit, fit and finish is awesome, ergonomics are great. </div></div>

Plus 1 on this. Surgeon makes a high quality piece.

I purchased the pt&g LA stealth about 3weeks ago. In stalled it and tested it with a new AI mag. Feeds great. Also the dbm is flawless. The machine work is great. And it is very strong, i believe it is 7075. Buy with confidence!

Thanks guys. I think I may just try the PT&G right now. That or the badger. I know their's are tried and true.