• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

My local gun store has 2 of them for $1046. I'm thinking hard about buying one. I just bought an AR50 though and havnt even got to shoot it much yet.

Any of you guys put a suppressor on this rifle? Will i have to get it rethreaded or will the standared threads allready on it work? Would like the get a SWR 338 omega for it and it would be really nice if the thread pitch would be the same for the SWR as it currently is for the brake. Hopefully someone knows this.

Later

Ready for it's maiden voyage. All set to try my first test loads. Starting at 85 grains of Ramshot Magnum going up to 90 grains behind 300 SMK seated to 3.705" CCI-250 primers in Lapua cases. I will be shooting at various ranges today to a farthest of 635 yards once I get my velocities figured. Factory trigger is adjusted to 28 ounces. Leupold VX-3 8-25x50 Burris Extreme low rings on a 30MOA Near rail. I will be checking available adjustment. As laser bore sighted I only have 63 MOA up left. About 5 MOA less than I was expecting. I will also be checking the verticle tracking and to measure the actual come ups. I have seen some questions posted on the accuracy of the Leupold turrets. IPHY or MOA. I will see.

img1913wb.jpg

img1923v.jpg

It would have been a good day for pictures but we were having so much fun the camera stayed in the truck. It only took two shots to get zeroed. First shot was 2” high and 2” to the right. Two adjustments got me to zero. Every shot at 100 went exactly where I expected so it is well under 1/2 MOA. I did a 30 minute elevation and tracking test at 100 yards and it came up 34" instead of the 31.41” I was expecting. The 2 NF NXS scopes I was shooting with did the exact same thing so I don't know what to make of that. We were shooting due south almost directly into the sun. I have had strong sunlight change my point of impact before but usually it only affects me side to side. The NPR1 measured our 30MOA mark as 27 1/2 MOA. Just for the record the colors were not as washed out in my VX3 as it was in the NF scopes even though we had sunshades on all of them. Using the reticle to measure the impacts showed the bullets hit right at 30 minutes high. We shot a couple from the 6x284 using the reticle only and they were going to the marks but still measured much larger with the tape. Since I had to lower to get zeroed I now have 65 MOA available up. Hummm. That is only 18 MOA down slope effective from a 30 MOA rail. I will be calling Richard Near for his input on this.

90 grains of Ramshot Magnum was averaging about 2540fps with a 50' extreme spread. I am not alarmed as the published velocity shows this powder should get 2700 fps. In real life I have easily been able to exceed the published loads in other magnums without hitting any pressure signs but I had to exceed the book a bit to get it. Pressure is very mild on this load. Recoil is much more than I am used to so spotting hits with the 25 power was not possible until I got out to 600 yards.

After the 30MOA test I input the conditions and readings into Exbal on my Palm. 300SMK at 2540fps, 71 degrees, 45% humidity, 61 feet elevation 29.94 Baro, It called out 11MOA to hit at 500 yards. I put it to 11 and centered the 12" AR500 plate. That was too easy so I then set out for our 635 yard gong. 16MOA was the prescription. 2 shots wide to the right but right on for elevation. I spotted a 6" rock sticking out of a dirt bank at 620 yards so I dropped to 15 3/4 MOA and blew it to gravel. Without correcting to shoot quick and catch the conditions I made a rapid shot on the 12" plate and hit it center for wind and about 2" low of center. The wind was getting bad and was going different direction from our side of the valley to the other so I called it a day.

The tracking of the Leupold proved to be correct for MOA and the combination is extremely accurate. I need to work on the trigger. At 28 ounces this is double of all my other rifles and the extra weight was really distracting. The other two rifles I shot today were set at 5-6 ounces and trying to go back and forth was tricky. A cheek piece will be needed as the check weld is too low. A Holland brake will be the added to get rid of some of this recoil. It is still very usable and I will have it out again soon to run a ladder test on some more powder. I would like to get north of 2700 fps.

All shooting was done from a Caldwell Rock BR rest with a Protektor rear rest. The bi-pod was left in the truck. I may try it next time.

That looks good for a factory remington. You've got my interest with the 338 rem700.

How's the recoil? Never shot a 338 lapua, what does it compare to?

These posts have me very excited. I purchased one of these about 3 weeks ago. I had not intended to purchase one, but I had the opportunity to get one new for under $1100. This was only one week after getting a new DPMS SASS. Needless to say, I am out of money and saving up to get a base, dies, bullets, and Lapua brass.

I picked one up this weekend at a gun show for 1200, it was brand new. I think I got a decent enough deal considering it was in Alaska. Waiting on scope, can't wait to shoot it.

On a client's rifle the brake was silver soldered on. My suppressor manufacturer had to virtually destroy the brake to get it off - then found the length of the threaded portion of the barrel to be too short for suppressor installation.

So, they cut that short piece off, threaded the barrel properly, made a replacement brake that looks identical to the original - and the seam line is just about invisible when threaded on - and sent it back.

Gun is very nice to shoot suppressed. Recoil much lessened and sound reduction welcome.

Just had mine done also.

The new barrel length is 23 1/4. But I shot 24 rds today and it shoots like a .270 . The Badger FTE is a great brake.

In the picture, you can see where the barrel stops.

100_0304.jpg

in that case maybe i won't get a suppressor for it. I really don't want to loose any more barrel length.
As for recoil. With my above stated load i would say recoil is about like a .30-06 shooting 150s. Maybe a little more. For me it kicks a little more just because i shoot free recoil. I could still shoot it alot more then my .300 win mag abolt. I would have shot more then three rounds in my group but i wanted to stretch its legs with what ammo i had loaded up. If we can get rid of these 40 mph sustained winds with the 70 mph gusts i will try and shoot some critters and some more metal.

Later

More load delelopment results.
Brand new unfired Lapua brass.
CCI-250 primer
3.700" OAL
300 grain SMK bullets. Looking to get to at least 2700 fps.

This test was not shot for group but every shot was across the chronograph at a 12" AR500 plate placed at 500 yards.
Every shot hit the plate as the MOA correcion was lowered to stay on the plate as the velocity increased.

Powder tested is Retumbo
average speed for 5 shots

93-2643 Lame

94-2654 book max Yawn

95-2711 best extreme spread at target velocity Low was 2709 High was 2714 for 5 shots. This is a keeper!

96-2716 Not much gain and wider extreme spreads.

97-2742 first very faint extractor plunger marks. getting there.

98-2808 Big jump in velocity. distinct extractor plunger marks on every case and slight cratered primer on 1 out of 5. No noticable bolt lift effort. This is the wall for me. Not safe. End of test.

95 grains looks good. Had a very nice low extreme spread that helps when shooting extended range. This will be shot for group after RL 25 is explored.

i need to get me one of these

Can someone tell me the serial number range of the new production that solves the bbl problems? I want to make sure I don't get one of the older MLR types that snipercountrypx refers to. Thanks in advance.

where is the best place to find one? GB there like $1400.00

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the best place to find one? GB there like $1400.00

Thanks </div></div>

That's a good deal really. They're still pretty scarce and lots of people paid in the $1,500-$1,700 range and would do it again. Decide what you can spend and buy when the opportunity presents itself is about the best advice I can give you.

I would call it on the same level as an 8 pound 30-06 shooting 180 grain factory ammo. A 20 guage pump shotgun. More than I care to shoot given the current technology of modern muzzle brakes. Mine will be getting a new one soon.

Well I'm joining the club. Just scored on one for a little over $1100 delivered to my FFL. I haven't told the wife yet.

Now the fun begins! Gotta get some brass, dies, LRM primers, Badger 30MOA mount, etc. And of course, some nice glass. I have no idea what I'm going to put on it. So many choices...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here are some pics of my Remington 700p in 338LM. currently it sits in a fully adjustable McMillan A-5...it has a ROEDALE muzzle brake instead of the stocker....it has a badger ordnance 30 moa rail....badger ordnance oversized bolt knob installed by US HANDGUNNER....leupold medium mk 4 rings....Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with zero stops and NP-R1 reticle...it also has an ARD. i will be installing a jewell bottom safety trigger this afternoon...then after shooting it one more time i will be sending it off to US HANDGUNNER so that he may install a side bolt release, skim bed the stock, and cerakote all the metal. well enjoy the pics.
[img:center]
338lapua.jpg
[/img]
338lapua1.jpg
[/img]
338lapua10.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
338lapua2.jpg
338lapua3.jpg
[/img]
338lapua4.jpg
[/img]
338lapua5.jpg
338lapua6.jpg
[/img]
338lapua7.jpg
[/img]
338lapua8.jpg
[/img]
url]
[/img]
</div></div>

anything Bad about them? just order one have to wait 2 weeks:(

OK, I can tell you that the 360 comps on the newer build rifles come off way fucking easier than the older generation rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I can tell you that the 360 comps on the newer build rifles come off way fucking easier than the older generation rifles. </div></div>

I'm tired of getting beat up so thanks to your encouragement I had to try it. My brake was held on with some sort of green high strength thread locking compond. I read up on thread lockers and found they all give it up around 450 degrees. I got out my Raytek heat gun and the propane torch. Heated it up to 450 or so and had to give it about 60 foot pounds of torque and it came right off. That thread locker when hot looked like white pipe dope but when it cooled back off it turned green again. No damage was done to the finish from the heat.

Off
img1995u.jpg

On
img1998y.jpg

I will be putting an RWS on it soon.

I'm looking at the 700P in 338LM since it is one of a few affordable 338's in Norway. I do have a problem, since i'm left handed.

Could any of you recommend a tactical / fully adjustable stock that would fit a left handed with right bolt ?

Would a McMillian A-5 be a good choice ? is it possible to get the bolt heads that adjust the cheek piece on the other side ? so that I don't get them in my cheek ?

I put my Remington .338 in a HS PST026 stock, and it is fully adjustable. I shoot left handed also and have this stock on one other rifle.

I will be replaceing the factory comp this week.

I am still in the braking in the rifle, and shot 1 MOA at 300 yards last week in 20 to 25 mph shifting winds with 300 gr match kings. Will give the beger 300's a try soon, and load development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought one, brand new, $1050.</div></div>

Did you buy it through 'a guy' we know?

Nice rifle. I might like one of these, but I haven't really begun to stretch-out my .308 yet. We'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought one, brand new, $1050.</div></div>

Nice rifle. I might like one of these, but I haven't really begun to stretch-out my .308 yet. We'll see.</div></div>

Are you "my" peanut lover???? ROFLMAO! Small world!

Our 'guy' did the transfer.... Had to get the stick from out of state though... Hard to find even for him.

Ordered my Near Mfg. Rail and Harris Bipod today.

So I want to buy another mag from Remington.... I went to their website and they have about 25 different phone numbers in five different states.... Can anybody point me to the right number to get the right mags? Thanks.

Roedale......is dicking the dog....my order went in over two months ago, they gave me some crap about export permits and I don't care...have initiated a chargeback....now back to square one....I need a top quality closed bottom muzzle brake....any recs from those of you experienced?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought one, brand new, $1050.</div></div>

Nice rifle. I might like one of these, but I haven't really begun to stretch-out my .308 yet. We'll see.</div></div>

Our 'guy' did the transfer.... Had to get the stick from out of state though... Hard to find even for him.</div></div>

Where will you take it to shoot, Burro? Please let me know ahead of time. I'd like to check out your setup and bring mine along, too. Thanks and look forward to seeing what you put together. PL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought one, brand new, $1050.</div></div>

Our 'guy' did the transfer.... Had to get the stick from out of state though... Hard to find even for him.</div></div>

Where will you take it to shoot, Burro? Please let me know ahead of time. I'd like to check out your setup and bring mine along, too. Thanks and look forward to seeing what you put together. PL</div></div>

Yeah.... HC and I have a tentative plan to sight in our new toys after the election....

Mostly Ill be shooting it out of state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kohai999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roedale......is dicking the dog....my order went in over two months ago, they gave me some crap about export permits and I don't care...have initiated a chargeback....
STeven Garsson </div></div>
I've ordered the muzzle brake from roedale on 10 march,received a badly threaded one,sended back and still waiting the replacement to appear.....
mad.gif

next week i will request for chargeback!!

P.S. Pete will send me another brake,probably the first one sended is lost...
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birillo186807</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you tell me with certainty that step has threading?5/8"-24 Thread? </div></div>
yes

Finally picked mine up (California has a 10 day waiting period...)

Ordered the rail and the Harris.... Exchanging e-mails with Remington for the magazines.... Then onto the glass.

IMG_0519.jpg

hello JumboNuts,Have you removed the original brake remington Them That Is Installed without roedale the thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birillo186807</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you tell me with certainty that step has threading?5/8"-24 Thread?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us</div></div>

I replaced my brake with an RWS Holland style brake from Ross. I ordered it in 5/8-24. It threaded on perfectly. It just needed a little fitting to get the timing to come out right. I hoping to get it Cerokoted later this week. I do that in house.