• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Well here is some more information.
I just received an AI Mag from Badger. I was all excited but to my dismay the thing is so lose it flops around and will fall out of the rifle. Stamped with 338 and the floor plate has AI imprinted on it.

The follower is not exactly the same and will not allow the bolt to close on an empty mag as the rear of the follower is not angled to accommodate this.

I would gladly post pics but Snipershide does not allow uploads and I do not have a host site so you are

Mags007.jpg

This is the mag that came with the rifle. No play at all when I apply pressure on the mag.

Mags006.jpg

This is the AI mag. See how loose it is in the rifle.
Observe the gap between the mag and guard

Mags005.jpg

Can you see the difference on the back of the follower. The back of the AI follower is not angled down to allow the bolt to close on an empty mag.
Mags004.jpg

AI mag on top factory on bottom.

Mags003.jpg

Floorplate

Mags001.jpg

Side view A AI on left

Mags002.jpg

Side view B AI on left

With the naked eye they almost look identical but they are not.

I have not checked out the other 338 caliber dimensions but I am thinking this mag is not for the Lapua but a close relative like the 338 Win Mag or the Marlin Express. The factory mag is stamped 338 Lapua the AI is stamped .338, this is hard to see in the pics sorry

To help clarify some of the magazine questions, there are "several" different versions from Remington on this particular rifle. There is the H&S mag / bottom metal setup which looks nothing like this setup, has a x3 rds mag. The ".338 Lap" mag pictured is not a "AI magazine", but a copy, which has made it out as well. Currently the AI magazines are both marked with ".338" on the back side and "AI" stamp on the floor plate. Many know that Surgeon is using our ".338 CIP" 5rd mags for the XL actions along with the AICS XL and they are all marked as such. We do not ramp the rear of any of our magazine followers. So the magazine aperture on the above rifle "should be" the current one we have seen and as "Rollyman" has pointed out, the current Accuracy International magazine part #2468 for the .338 Lapua Mag will not work in these rifles. So don't get confused, our .338 CIP magazine is a different part # and will be at Shot Show for discussion, review and further information available. Hope this helps some on clearing the mud and Happy holidays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To help clarify some of the magazine questions, there are "several" different versions from Remington on this particular rifle. There is the H&S mag / bottom metal setup which looks nothing like this setup, has a x3 rds mag. The ".338 Lap" mag pictured is not a "AI magazine", but a copy, which has made it out as well. Currently the AI magazines are both marked with ".338" on the back side and "AI" stamp on the floor plate. Many know that Surgeon is using our ".338 CIP" 5rd mags for the XL actions along with the AICS XL and they are all marked as such. We do not ramp the rear of any of our magazine followers. So the magazine aperture on the above rifle "should be" the current one we have seen and as "Rollyman" has pointed out, the current Accuracy International magazine part #2468 for the .338 Lapua Mag will not work in these rifles. So don't get confused, our .338 CIP magazine is a different part # and will be at Shot Show for discussion, review and further information available. Hope this helps some on clearing the mud and Happy holidays. </div></div>
so which one does fit?

Well, right now, as stated, if the magazine aperture is the same as the "current" model, our new CIP magazine will work. However, as mentioned we are working on getting these released for several different weapons and they are not for sale at this time or released other than OEM customers.

Stacey,if Rollyman were to take an accurate measurement of the lookalike mag that came with his MLR,would you be able to tell if has the same dimensions as an actual AI CIP length magazine? Since the magazines used on the current MLR's are not genuine AI mags,it's possible that they are built to their own proprietary dimensions and not interchangable with the the new AI CIP mags.

I can say that I would expect the mag to measure in at 3.840" range and I believe you will find this to be a very close to what he has now.

I sent pics to Badger via email yesterday along with the explanation of the problem with the mag.

Acording to Martin Bordson of Badger Ordnance the bottom metal on my rifle is not theirs.
He says by looking at the rifle pics I sent that this is not their trigger guard.

So I must apologize to the Remington Reps for accusing them of being mistaken.
I listened to too many birds talking into my ear and not listening to the manufacture.
Call me Dumb Ass it fits.

So this must be H-S BDM.

With the input from AI here I gather we now understand how it is we have five round mags when HS claims they do not make a five round mag, because they don’t.

I guess we will have to keep an eye out for when the AI CIP mags become available or try to get them directly through Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To help clarify some of the magazine questions, there are "several" different versions from Remington on this particular rifle. <span style="color: #FF0000">There is the H&S mag / bottom metal setup which looks nothing like this setup, has a x3 rds mag.</span> The ".338 Lap" mag pictured is not a "AI magazine", but a copy, which has made it out as well. Currently the AI magazines are both marked with ".338" on the back side and "AI" stamp on the floor plate. Many know that Surgeon is using our ".338 CIP" 5rd mags for the XL actions along with the AICS XL and they are all marked as such. We do not ramp the rear of any of our magazine followers. So the magazine aperture on the above rifle "should be" the current one we have seen and as "Rollyman" has pointed out, the current Accuracy International magazine part #2468 for the .338 Lapua Mag will not work in these rifles. So don't get confused, our .338 CIP magazine is a different part # and will be at Shot Show for discussion, review and further information available. Hope this helps some on clearing the mud and Happy holidays. </div></div>

Ok so now what. With this statement (Highlighted in red) after viewing the pics he says this is not HS bottom metal.

Badger after seeing the pics claims it is not theirs?

So I am confused and will now send pics to HS to see if they will claim it as their product.

Rolly:

Your mag system is not the HS, I have that version of this rifle and it doesn't look anything like yours. Stacey says the CIP will work, which is what I think your answer is. Why don't you call Remington for more mags? They got me mine after I gave them my serial number. Good luck with your rifle.

The mag with the ramp on the rear of the follower looks like an Accurate-Mag 338LM

338.jpg

minus the name on the side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.D.A.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rolly:

Your mag system is not the HS, I have that version of this rifle and it doesn't look anything like yours. Stacey says the CIP will work, which is what I think your answer is. Why don't you call Remington for more mags? They got me mine after I gave them my serial number. Good luck with your rifle.
</div></div>

Do you mean that you have the HS BDM version?
If you do could you post a pic please?
Is your rifle only a three round mag system?
I did contact Remington and based on my serial # I was told that my rifle has the HS BDM and to contact HS for extra mags.
When my dealer spoke with his rep from HS the guy said that HS does not make a BDM with a five round mag.

This is so back and forth I must say it is getting frustrating.

Just sent this to Remington.

Hello again.

Serial # XXXX

There has been some serious confusion on my part with the BDM.

I inquired about my rifles information and about buying extra mags and you told me to contact HS for them.

When I spoke with HS they claimed that this is not there system and they only make a 3 round mag system.

Since my rifle came with a factory supplied 5 round mag that it must be of a different manufacturers parts.

After taking to my dealer he made a call to his Remington person and was told that it was not HS but Badger.

He looked it up on Badgers website and found some pictures of the B.O. M-5 and it looked identical to my rifles system and mag. With this information I went ahead and called Badger, after a brief conversation we determined they had the correct magazine for me. I thought all was right with the world until the mag arrived, well it falls out of the rifle because its dimensions are way too small. I sent an email to Badger with pictures of the rifle and both mags and a what's up with this. After they saw the picture of the rifle they said that the BDM is not there’s based on the shape of the trigger guard. So now I have to return the mag.

So I am now confused? Is the BDM made in house or another manufacturer all together?

You told me based on my serial # it was HS but they say no way and have no mags for me.

Looks like a Badger but they say nope and the mag I purchased will not fit.

So who’s BDM is in my rifle? at this point I have to know!

Who is manufacturing the mags for this rifle and where can I buy some? Through you or the actual manufacturer?

I would like to know the actual manufacture of the mag and manufacturers part number.

Now frustrated, confused and have hit a dead end.

Thank you

DogboneS,You beat me to it...
laugh.gif
These are pictures of the HS Precision bottom metal that came off of my MLR that I purchased in March of 2008.Rollyman,good luck with your letter to Remington. If you don't get a satifactory answer from them,you might want to post a link to this thread in your next email. Do you have dial calipers available to take some measurements off of the "mystery mag" that you have? I'm curious as to how close these mags are to the 3.840" length mentioned by Stacey Blankenship.

IMG_3791e.jpg

The factory supplied mag measures
3.777 back to front, if I measure off the retaining bump it is 3.827
The back width is .724 the front width is .6095

The AI Mag measures
3.718 back to front, and 3.754 with the retainer
The back width is .730 front is .636

So the AI is shorter but wider overall.

Like we discussed, I would not get into a big hurry to get the magazines right now. What you are receiving within the box with this model from the first run are AI imitations, and not the final genuine magazines we are producing at this time. Best wishes and happy holidays to all.

DogboneS and Badshot308 posted pictures of the bottom metal I have been referring to. I spoke with my rep from remington and he got extra magazines for me. I would think that they should be able to provide you with extra magazines for their rifle. I cant find the rep's number, but I would go to the rep for your area at http://www.remingtonle.com and see if a little personal contact wouldn't improve your situation. Good luck with it.

Remington can probably supply extra mags,but the big question for the guys buying the current production MLR's is whether or not the genuine AI CIP mags will be compatible with this bottom metal once the AI CIP mags become available. The bottom metal isn't genuine Badge Ordinance,but instead a similar appearing product. The mags as stated,are AI imitations,not the real deal. The dimensions of these products may be differant enough from AI to make them proprietary.Remington may not be copying the exact dimensions of a genuine AI CIP mag. Hopefully,Remington will respond to Rollyman's letter and give him some staight answers.

So far this is my response from Remington.

The magazine used in the MLR .338 comes from different manufacturers and are then modified at the factory to meet our specs. I looked up the build sheet on your rifle using the serial number and found the magazine part number. It is F403215 and retails for $138.00 plus shipping and tax. Let me know if you need anything else.
End Quote

I am really scratching my head here. Remington seems to be avoiding the subject.
Ask direct questions and get no real answers.
With this economy and all I am wondering if the BDM is from some oddball manufacturer to save some money. Maybe Chinese? This will have a direct effect on the real value of the rifle.

Just sent the following to Remington.

Thanks for the info thus far.
But I still want to know the manufacturer of the BDM. At this point for all I know it could be Chinese MIM parts and the value of this rifle will be a 1/4 of the Badger or HS models. So the blue book of gun values will eventually reveal anyway.

Being that the mags are modified by Remington you will now and ever be the only source for them?
This to me is a problem as the potential for getting replacements if the original is damaged or lost in the future could become impossible to replace. Even more so with this caliber not high on the popularity list I can see them quickly discontinued when the rifle is once again modified. Sorry but I feel this means I am sort of getting strong armed into buying several of them now so I know I will have a functional rifle for the years to come and following generations.

Sorry to be such a thorn in Remington’s side on this but I want to know what I spent my hard earned money on.

Thank you

While I understand the frustration, most companies are not going to tell you who or where their products or assemblies are made, period. Also understand that for 99.999% of remington's customers they don't even know what a bottom metal is, much less care who or where it was made. So customer service is probably mystified and dumbfounded why anyone would care this much.

Ask Premier or leupold for an exact breakdown of what parts in the scope are made where and by who.....they will tell ya to piss off. The only info you will get is not enough of them are made here to allow them to mark the scope as USA made.

They told you it was made by different manufacturers to their specs, and gave you a part number and price to order more mags. I'd be surprised if they tell you more than that. You own the rifle, you should be able to tell if it's MIM or not, and if it's a quality part or not. Put it through it's paces, how does it feed, does it hold and release the mag properly, does the mag have play when seated, how does it mesh with the stock etc.

Frankly if you really thought remington was going to package a badger bottom metal and AI mag costing $400 into a .338 police rifle on a large production scale for $1200 you were off your rocker. Otherwise they'd be putting them on the LTR/XCR/5R instead you get cheap pot metal trigger guards, which I've yet to see anyone break anyway.

Stacy said he'd have a compatible mag out, and I'd trust that they will and it will be cheaper than the remington part I'd bet, significantly so if their other mag prices are a guide. If that's not good enough hog out the stock to take a badger M5 and be done with it.

10-4 ToodM
Your logic is sound and understood.
The rifle will most likely be a tack driver and last for 100 years.

Where my real problem sits is that Remington stated that the BDM was from HS.
It is not from HS. I hate to be misled hell if the Remington guy has no clue so be it and just say so don’t make up something.

But to give me a straight forward answer Quote The BDM is HS additional mags can be purchased through HS. End Quote. Is BS in my book.

Hell no one here would have cared as long as the truth was on the table from the start.
Many people have posed this question to Remington directly or through other means in and out of this forum. They could have made it simple and stated in the first place that the BDM could be from many manufactures and currently we are the only supplier of mags. End of story no confusion and simple.

Three Remington reps have mislead people here and outside this forum that I know of first hand.
This is not good customer service or representation of the company.

Hell I have to be honest and say I was one of the people you mentioned as having no clue or care.
It was not until six or seven friends and acquaintances in my little world asked me if I knew who made the BDM and that is what raised my curiosity and pushed my quest for the answers. So I would say that more people are in the know of such things than you think.

I read the post from Stacey and understood that they have a mag. I also very clearly understood the second part of his post stating that they are not available and no guarantee that they will be now or even in the near future.

I know have gotten my feathers ruffled with this and maybe heading a bit overboard for the situation.
That said I am not quite ready to give up the fight on the principals of the situation just yet.

By the way within the response from HS they pointed me to Sunny Hill as the potential manufacturer.

I agree it sucks that Remington gave some wrong information on the HS end of it to ya, but I doubt it was on purpose. More than likely someone looked the model up or asked someone else and they were told HS did the bottom metal and in some of the rifles they did. It does not excuse them giving you the wrong information. As others have said there have been a few versions of this rifle already and it's not even extensively on the market yet, so it's easy to see where confusion as to what exact parts your rifle has. Again I'm not excusing it, and I'd be frustrated too, but I can see where it could easily happen.

If Stacey says they have a mag in the works and it will come to market soon I trust that info. Hang around here long enough and you will find that Stacey is an upstanding guy and wouldn't bring it up if he wasn't sure it was going to happen. He is THE guy when it comes to AI in the states, period.

That said the $135 that remington quoted you for a spare mag is pretty steep when you can buy about any other .338 mag under $90. Quality mags are more expensive than they should be IMO, but we deal with it. In reality most things tactical are more expensive than they should be, again we deal with it. Do I think a trigger guard is worth $350? Nope, not even close, but we still buy them.

Even if the BM is junk, and you had to replace it, the rifle is still by far the cheapest way to get into a .338 if it performs to the level of the other police rifles they will sell like hotcakes as long as they make them. If someone could find a way to make .338 L ammo as cheap as remington has made it now to get a good intro .338L rifle I'd already own one.

Well, here is how mine sits today.
Current spec's:
Base Remington MLR-700 in .338 LM. w/ 40x trigger @ 2 lbs:)
24.5" 1:10 twist BBL.
Holland "style" Brake.
Harris 9" bi-pod
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Ordnance</span> “ Mystery “ 5 rnd det-box mag
B&C Medalist Tac Stock in Tan web
Night Force 20MOA Rail, NF Rings
NSX 12-42 X 56 NP-R2 Scope.

The Bolt will go out next week for a knob- job.
I also have a Mike Rock- Rock Creek 27" Stainless bbl in the safe for back up pending initial shooting results.
Still shopping for a can and hope to have one picked out by end of Jan-2010.

Gime a week or 2 and I will have a range report.

dsc03154g.jpg

well for all that are interested, i did some chronographing today. so i am running lapua brass...cci LR magnum primers...94 grains retumbo....seated to magazine depth. 3 shot average was 2723 fps. this produces 3/4-1 moa groups. best i can get right now. im going to try and adjust the trigger down some more and if i can't, i will be replacing it. i am also still waiting on my roedale muzzle brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well for all that are interested, i did some chronographing today. so i am running lapua brass...cci LR magnum primers...94 grains retumbo....seated to magazine depth. 3 shot average was 2723 fps. this produces 3/4-1 moa groups. best i can get right now. im going to try and adjust the trigger down some more and if i can't, i will be replacing it. i am also still waiting on my roedale muzzle brake. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. You previously said it was shooting 3/4" at 200 yards, did you mean 3/4 MOA (1.5" groups)?

Strike three

That is not one of our trigger guard assemblies. You might check with Badger Ordnance to see if it is theirs. I know that they make something with a release lever of that style, but I am not sure if they make one in .338 Lapua.

You can get their contact information at www.badgerordnance.com.

Good luck with your search,

Andy Huebschmann, President
Sunny Hill Enterprises, Inc.

The magazines and the bottom metal are obviously proprietary and being made to or modified to Remingtons specifications. Have you contacted Sniper Country PX http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-3346-4...-338-lapua.aspx about the modifcation to the AI mag that you purchased? Their webpage states "Can be modified to fit the Remington 700P 338 (2009 model)" Ignore the photo in the link.Sniper Country PX uses the same photo for the whole line of AI/Badger Ordnance mags. You already have the mag,you might as well call them and see what the modification entails. I've dealt with them before and they're GTG.

Is there any info of this Rifle on the Remington site?
I couldnt find any...
Really would like to get me one of those but the importer here in Sweden can not order unless he hava a "number" for it
eek.gif

Dogbone has it correct!

The mags are made by Accurate Mag Products. I just spoke to "Vinn" at Accuarte Mag and he confirmed it. However, due to a pending "OEM" Contract of sorts he can't sell to other than Remington:(. Who makes the BM is still unaswered.

Basically the road has ended at a locked fucking gate!

Brians708,when you put your MLR into the B&C Medalist Tac Stock,did you use the mystery metal and mag that came with the gun,or did you put in a genuine Badger Ordnance M5 triggerguard?

It is the "factory" set. My earlier post says Badger cause of the current mis-led-itis I was suffering from. Please excuse that line.
The factory set works... it's a bit sloppy but it feeds every time and it beats a bdl and beats a HS 3 rounder... still a great deal for the money.

I bought my MLR almost 2 years ago. Never used the HS 3 rounder that came with it,just put the gun into an AICS. I've never bought a second mag because after a five round group that varmint weight barrel is very hot. I don't shoot at tactical matches so I've never needed spare mags.

While this may be a better question for the reloading forum, it's specific to this rifle...For those who are reloading for this rifle, what is the cartridge OAL you are using? My rifle (new production) appears to have a maximum OAL of 3.660" to the lands with 250 scenars. Is this consistent with what you see on your rifle ? The mag appears to be good for 3.670" OAL cartridges but loaded at this length, I'm pushing the bullet well into the lands...and I don't want to go there.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dogbone has it correct!

The mags are made by Accurate Mag Products. I just spoke to "Vinn" at Accuarte Mag and he confirmed it. However, due to a pending "OEM" Contract of sorts he can't sell to other than Remington:(. Who makes the BM is still unaswered.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Basically the road has ended at a locked fucking gate!</span>
</div></div>

The gate is not locked it is just stuck. Like most things the information will get out.

I think some may think that it will be inferior in comparison to what they thought or may have wanted it to be. I don’t think this is the case. Many times stuff like this becomes a gem. Even if it is not a better product this still means nothing. It is a rare thing for a rifle to have BDM problems.

If anyone knows of more manufacturers to contact let me know and I will do the work.
But for now I have no more leads.

I would gather that “Vinn” at Accurate Mag knows the manufacturer as he most likely has a set of drawings or specifications from the actual manufacturer if he/they are in fact making the current mags.
So maybe you can press him for the answer?

I have to say that I am skeptical that Remington makes a serious modification to the mag. I can see maybe a follower or floor plate exchange but beyond that no way.
In your post I get the idea that you are acquainted with “Vinn” more than just the Accurate Mag contact.
Can’t he tell you more than simply we make them but can’t sell them to you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brians708,when you put your MLR into the B&C Medalist Tac Stock,did you use the mystery metal and mag that came with the gun,or did you put in a genuine Badger Ordnance M5 triggerguard? </div></div>

mystery metal, that name makes me laugh!

I did and they are too small. So loose they fall out of the rifle.

I know this thread is long but worth the read.

The rifles manufactured after Aug 09 have unknown BDM.
This is why no aftermarket mags function and are currently only available from Remington.
But the rifles serial number needs to be sent with the order so they can determine what mag is right.

You could,but those are made to the dimensions of an AI magazine. The mags made by Accurate-Mag for the new MLR are being made to Remingtons specifications and are larger.An AI mag or an aftermarket mag made to the AI specs would be too loose as Rollyman found out. These are the dimensions he took,

"The factory supplied mag measures
3.777 back to front, if I measure off the retaining bump it is 3.827
The back width is .724 the front width is .6095

The AI Mag measures
3.718 back to front, and 3.754 with the retainer
The back width is .730 front is .636

So the AI is shorter but wider overall."

Sniper Country PX has a note stating that the AI mags can be modified to fit the Remington 700P 338 Lapua http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-4732-1...-338-lapua.aspx
Has anyone yet contacted them to see what the modification entails?

Anyone get some more range reports yet? Hopefully I'll get my dies in the next couple days and get out to the range. I'll post load data and results(no chrono yet). I have a shitty SS10x42 on it for now but have some items for sale that will fund better glass soon. I only have a 300yd range to work with anyway.