• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

nightforce 20 moa base . had to open the holes to fit. it is solid though .

Leupold Mark 4 part # 65970 comes with both sets of screws. I have one sitting on my workbench at home to go one mine.

I purchased a Badger Ordnance 20MOA base from SniperCountryPX. It came with the 8-40 screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins makes them in 8-40 also. </div></div>

+2 for 20MOA Seekins there is a week wait, no big deal. You just specify 8-40 when buying.

Now my question is what length of 8-40 screws are you guys using? I can find tons of different lengths to buy.

Ordered mine from Badger. They opened up the holes and provided 8-40 screws but took about 3 weeks to get to my door.

special ordered mine from Badger Ord.

Love this board. I brought home my rifle today. Looking at the barrel you wouldnt think the brake would come off. No line to be seen, but sure enough put it in the vise add some heat and off it comes.

Just got mine, and am impatiently waiting on my scope. I would love to get another mag or two if I could find one. Don't really like the stock so much. The only thing that bothers me is the hand swell/pistol grip.

New to the site and the thread. I would love a good load for this thing if anyone has one.

GOOD LUCK finding one. Took forever!!! I see one from time to time on GB, but they are getting more scarce.

I just got a 700 P in 338 LM that I am doing for a friend, took more then ONE year to get it.

I have some questions:

I am thinking about using a .30 moa Badger Ordnance rail?
The scope is a 6.5-20x50 Leupold Mark 4 with 70 moa of elevation.
What rings will clear this scope? I am thinking about using Max-50 from Badger standard .823"?

How about the new Badger unimount .885"

I am also thinking about getting him the Roedahl Break.

Any input will be welcome.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Get the 30 moa Badger Ordnance rail make sure it has 8-40 screws.
Seekins is 50$ cheaper though and all you do is specify 8-40 in remarks when you check out.

1988z01 I also hate the palm swell because it's kinda big for my hand. Other than that I like everything else about the rifle.

I just put together a Sendero SFII 300RUM with a 20MOA Night Force rail on it and used the Burris Extreme Tactical low rings #420160 with a 8.5-25x50LR and it has 1/4" clearance between the bell and the barrel at the closest spot. It's a nice solid setup. This is what I would use on the 700P.

Just received my Rem 338 on 3/19/10, started looking over the rifle and took a tape to the barrel and it was 25 1/4 at the end of the break, which makes the barrel 24" +/- rechecked the shipping box and it has 26" barrel. Called Rem this AM and the tech advised that some rifles were shipped 26" barrels and the others were shipped as stated, he advised that Rem calles this a 26" barrel even if the O/L is 24" without the muzzle break, and that Rem could'nt put 25 1/4" on the so they just call it 26" barrel. I then asked the tech since the box and all the specs state 26" barrel could my barrel be replaced with a 26" tube from the factory, he replied the only was is the buy a after market barrel and have it installed myself. SO WHATS ON YOUR RIFLE!!!!!!

if you were to unscrew the barrel and measure from the threads end forward I bet you have a 26" barrel
grin.gif

No, did that and just got off the hard line with the factory and spoke the another rep. who advised the changed the barrel O/L a couple years ago and he also advised that 25 1/4" sounds about right.

i called my dealer and no luck getting me a mlr, anybody have nay leads? i dont want to get gouged either..

I contacted the factory rep for my area N.M. and he directed me to a dealer (Law Enforcement Sales) so you might try contacting the rep for your area he could lead you in the right direction, go the Rem web page or call there 800 number and you can get the rep's number. Also try Impact guns.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tackdriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i called my dealer and no luck getting me a mlr, anybody have nay leads? i dont want to get gouged either.. </div></div>

put up a post in the wtb section

They are out there, getting someone to turn loose of one at a reasonable price is the issue. I just got mine in hand yesterday. None of the distributors we contacted had them in stock but were all on backorder. Got extremely lucky and found one locally that was NIB. Bot the rifle and the Badger Ord. 20 MOA base for WAY under what they have been going for on GB.

Now the fun begins, fixing to set it up for a Badger FTE and waiting on glass (NF NXS enroute). Probably do a bolt knob mod and skim bed the stock before I ever get her out to the range.

The 360 degree muzzle device just does not belong on this type of rifle, after 2 shots from a prone position expect to be completely peppered in rock and dust...

I installed a 5/8x24 FTE on mine, but used a different aproach. Instead of turning a shelf in the barrel, I opened up the ID of the FTE to a taper that matches the barrels profile and OD at the muzzle. The factory installed 360 port muzzle device required an ignorant amount of work and care to remove, Remington considers it to be permanently attached as they include it in the barrel length specs....

_DSC0218.jpg

Ugh just seeing these tempts me to pull out the magic plastic card! I'd love to have that sitting in a AICS with a premier reticle sitting in top!!!

Got one of the 338 rem700MLR rifle after Xmas, Overall the rifles seem to be in very nice and well balance, but the Muzzle break need to upgrade, need some input on The most effective Muzzle break for the 338lapua round...

Roedele would be good. Badger fte, vias

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunboy2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got one of the 338 rem700MLR rifle after Xmas, Overall the rifles seem to be in very nice and well balance, but the Muzzle break need to upgrade, need some input on The most effective Muzzle break for the 338lapua round... </div></div>

This will tame it!
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1330604&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The factory installed 360 port muzzle device required an ignorant amount of work and care to remove
</div></div>

Put the barrel near the muzzle in a vice with protector ,clamp it,use a blowtorch and heat the muzzle brake at near 200C°(10 sec or less will be enough) to soften the thread locking compound, insert 5,5mm diameter rod through one of the vents holes and unscrew gently tapping the rod end with an hammer, 5 min job.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cicastol</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The factory installed 360 port muzzle device required an ignorant amount of work and care to remove
</div></div>

Put the barrel near the muzzle in a vice with protector ,clamp it,use a blowtorch and heat the muzzle brake at near 200C°(10 sec or less will be enough) to soften the thread locking compound, insert 5,5mm diameter rod through one of the vents holes and unscrew gently tapping the rod end with an hammer, 5 min job.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Negative, did not work.

I already removed and put a JP temp until getting a better muzzle break, hope the JP work, so no need for another muzzle break, I am thinking about Surefire or Fat baster...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative, did not work. </div></div>
For me worked very well!
wink.gif

It work very well if you shooting of the bench, but laying down it tend to kick up grass and dusk...

First post.

So I got one in February at the urging of a friend who has a Blaser. About $1,350 out the door, Remington says it was manufactured in 11/2009....scuffs all over the stock, not a big deal because I plan on hitting the whole shebang with Duracoat.

1. Already ordered a Roedale brake. My stock brake DID NOT come off easily....I heated it a bit and used a solid steel jimmy bar, and couldn't move it. My gunsmith got it off, and feels that it was put on using an impact wrench. Remington says they do both brazing OR Loctite, not sure what determines what...but some of these are obviously hard to get off the rifle.

2. My gunsmith says that the chamber is beautiful, and the bore is a little rough, but should clean up with some good shooting. He feels the bedding is more than adequate. I had him put on a Surgeon Rifles bolt handle, and dial down the pull from a somewhat gritty 4 lbs from the factory to a glass rod clean 2 lb break.

3. Other work was mounting on a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail...that's it. I MAY put on an AI stock , but am leaning towards keeping it as is.

First shots below, by my good friend Joe.

This is a 300 grain Sierra Match King leaving the muzzle averaging about 2517 fps, distance is 100 yards, and this is just to make sure that the piece is in the hunt....not the marksmanship Joe is known for.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I was in a pawn shop last week that sells guns. I just mentioned to the guy that I was looking for a MLR 338LM and he looked it up in a book. He made a call and then told me that the place they purchase guns from told him that he was expecting a few anyday. I did not really believe him because of all the posts about them being very difficult to find. Today I got a phone call saying they came in. I told him that I would take it and he said that they would ship tomorrow. I will try to find out where he ordered it from. He mentioned that it was coming from Kansas City. I got it for 1110.00 out the door.

this is mine 5 shot groups during the 2nd trip to the range,300Meter,if i don't take in account the left flyer the group is only 0,3Moa
cool.gif

tgtgfx.jpg

I spoke to my dealer today, and he told me that the muzzle brake is no longer removable on new rifles. So you would have to cut the barrel to remove it.

This sounds very strange, but he sounded very convinced.

Any comments?

I am looking to buy one of these as an entry .338 rifle. It seems to be very reasonably priced, even here in Norway.

-T

Since its Jakt og Friluft in Arendal I'd hazard a guess that the smith is wrong...

Yep, he is wrong. You could not see the line where the muzzle brake started on mine so I questioned it, but sure enough it does come off.

And Rassmussen, for the love of christ,
don't let that smith touch that barrel!

I've had work done there and I will never let those guys touch any of my rifles again.

I went and looked at mine and cannot see a line between the barrel and the muzzle brake. I sure hope you guys are right but I don't want to try to take if off until I get a new brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, he is wrong. You could not see the line where the muzzle brake started on mine so I questioned it, but sure enough it does come off.</div></div>