• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is MY understanding after talking to Remington last week on the phone.

The bottom metal is a "COPY" of the Badger metal but made in house by Remington in conjunction with HS Precision. The MAGS are made by HS Precision and available through them or Remington directly.

I was also told that a AICS mag will NOT fit this setup.

HS has the mags in stock and priced VERY well.

Hope this helps.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.) </div></div>

How much are the mags from HS Precision?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it at a Gun Show NIB from Keith's Sporting Goods - (503) 492-6999. Don't know if there are any more in stock though. He is the largest gun shop in the area but they only had one at the show and the guy who was helping me did not know if there were any more, but he did infer that they could get more (not sure on that one myself since the supply has seemed to dry up). I sure would not mind getting a 3 or 4 more. I figure I could put them on gunbroker for 1400 and pay for my optics but I don't have 3 grand to risk right now.
eek.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the info.. I'll be giving him a call sometime this week.. Man, the Wife is going to be mad, since I just completed my 700 5-R .300 win mag build.

Has anyone dropped one of these into a McM A5? I am planning on sending one to GAP? Anyone have any experience with this set-up? I was also considering re-barreling as well. I have only put 40 rounds of Corbon 300's down it out to 800 yards and have been nothing but impressed.

The Mags from HS PRECISION are $80.00

81 Mike,

I would shoot the factory barrel out... They are showing VERY impressive accuracy with factory Black Hills 250 and 300 grn match BTHP ammo...

and even BETTER with handloads... I am working on loads now... its definately a 1/2 MOA or UNDER weapon with the factory barrel.

Someone on here was stating that they have seen OVER 4000 rounds on their factory setup and its still holding impressive groups.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Shot mine for the first time ever this morning, after sighting it in I shot a .572" group with Lapua 250gr Scenar ammunition. Muzzle brake is much more effective than I thought it would be, this gun is easier to shoot than my 20" 308. Trigger is very crisp, a little heavy but I don't mind that. The rifle fed and ejected well. Hopefully this will continue, I've got a little over 30 rounds of factory ammo left...might have to order some more before I start reloading!
smile.gif

Matt, I think you got some mis-information from who ever you spoke to on the phone at Remington. The current 2010 MLR isn't using HS Precision mags. The original 2008 version that I purchased used them. The current mags that look like an Accuracy International mag is a proprietary size made by Accurate Mag for Remington. If you go back through the pages of this post you'll find the discussion on these new mags. Accurate Mag was under contract with Remington to produce these mags and couldn't sell them to the public. They were only available through Remington at around $130.00. This is their website http://www.accurate-mag.com/ You might want to contact them and see if they're selling the mags for the MLR directly to the public.

I already contacted them and asked, they will not sell to the general public. They do however sell a new DBM-system that fits the rifle, and the mags for that system are a little cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mags from HS PRECISION are $80.00

81 Mike,

I would shoot the factory barrel out... They are showing VERY impressive accuracy with factory Black Hills 250 and 300 grn match BTHP ammo...

and even BETTER with handloads... I am working on loads now... its definately a 1/2 MOA or UNDER weapon with the factory barrel.

Someone on here was stating that they have seen OVER 4000 rounds on their factory setup and its still holding impressive groups.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.) </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up... save my money for ammo on this beast...I have to admit, this has been one of the most enjoyable rifles to shoot...it is fun taking a lot of wind out of the equation...

Another question though, if you don't mind...Is there a better brake to replace the factory one with?...40 rounds of factory Corbon 300gr is about all I can take in a day...I didn't know if there was a brake that anyone might be using to reduce a little more of the recoil...if not, 40 rounds is a good day at the range anyhow...thanks again

My .338 Police Special continues to be tack driver. All I need to do now is to put it into an ACIS Stock and I am done. Will post pictures soon.

Now for a good laugh. My local dealer has a new one in stock. Asking price is $2,595. Am I missing something? Considering the prices I see on the Hide, this is way out of line.

Well, I've got 15 rounds down the tube and it looks like this thing has a rough chamber- it's putting strange looking marks around the base of the brass. A local gunsmith took a look at it and agreed that the chamber is rough and that there is some brass depositing going on; he is going to see if he can polish it out, or if need be set it back a couple threads and redo the chamber.

Remington would probably help me out if I sent it back, but I hate to ship guns and would prefer to get this taken care of locally just because of the amount of time Remington can take on their repairs.

The good news though is that it is shooting VERY well. Muzzle brake is very effective, and I am happy with the rifle over all. Once I get the chamber touched up this should be an excellent rifle.

I am just starting to get into load development for this rifle. Having just measured out my Rem 700P in 308 where I measured jump of about .120 inches with the Sierra 175SMK seated at the minimum depth of 0.264" (this means 0.264 of the 308 dimension part of the bullet of course, recommended by Sierra tech support, he said this was minimum), I was interested to see if the 338 LM had such a long leade. I was surprised to see that the jump from a factory round (Remington which uses Lapua brass, with 250gr Scenar) is about 0.004" ... maybe there is some error in my calipers and measuring, but the jump for certain (imo) is not as much as 0.010". So I think I will seat the bullets exactly where the factory Remington or Lapua rounds are, and not try to push it any further out or in.

FYI. I will be using 215Ms, N560 powder and 250gr Scenars. I will try Berger VLDs, Sierra SMKs later.

i obtained best results using scenar 250.

If you can, try some factory Lapua 250gr Scenar ammunition- mine has been shooting it amazingly well!

I just removed the factory muzzle brake on mine. I thought it would be a beeatch, but it ended up being child's play. I made a poor man's barrel vise by cutting a channel in two pieces of wood, then secured the barrel in a vise. Heated up the brake with a plumber's propane torch. Just took a minute or so. I was careful to apply direct flame only to the brake end, not anywhere near the barrel or even the threaded portion. Stuck two small phillips screwdrivers in the brake and it screwed right off with minimal effort. A child could do it.

There was some white gunk on the threads that cleaned right up with a wire brush. No marks or discoloring on the barrel -- still looks new.

Anyone know the best place to buy a Badger FTE brake? :)

Any of the Snipers Hide vendors...

I have had good luck and a lot of help from Mike @ CSTactical.com

What are used MLRs going for? I have one with 50 Rounds through it and I think I am going to post it here. What do you think is a good starting point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are used MLRs going for? I have one with 50 Rounds through it and I think I am going to post it here. What do you think is a good starting point? </div></div>

$1000-$1200

I'm making very slow progress with mine. I bought it this summer and don't even have a base for it yet. I did however pick up some Lapua brass.

I'm still trying to figure out what direction I'm going to go with it. I go back and forth between a McMillan or Manners stock. Optics are another big issue. I've got no idea what direction to go there. I'd like to put a USO on top, but the most expensive scope I've put on a rifle is my IOR SH edition ($1500).

For now, I'm going to work on getting together the rest of my components, try and figure out a stock to throw on there. I'll probably do a bolt knob install as well.

Questions of the day- Will there be any issues getting this bottom metal to work with a Manners or McMillan stock?

I see some are using the Badger FTE brake, what other viable options are there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i obtained best results using scenar 250. </div></div>

Great looking stick. I'm not a fan of the HS stocks on these, but yours looks right at home on this set up.

Here's Mine, Just got it back from S.A.C.(Marks short action custom's) having it bedded, Badger brake and bolt knob conversion and trigger work done, I wouldnt hesitate to use Mark for any of my smith work! He does a quality job and has a fast turn around, He told me at least 4 weeks to do the work but he turned it around in 3!
Best load's so far have been
300SMK's
78.2 IMR4350
Lapua brass
CCI 250 primers
COAL 3.680
Ave Vel. 2656
Several 5 shot groups 1/2MOA at 100yds the biggest group I've shot with this load is 0.658

300SMK's
91.2 Viht170
Lapua brass
CCI 250 primers
COAL 3.680
Ave Vel 2600
Biggest 5 shot group was 0.793 (Brass on both loads have been fired multiple times)
Both load's are book loads I think!

REM 700MLR
Badger Brake
Badger bolt knob
McCann MIRS rail
Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50
Burris tactical ring's (I think, had em in the Misc.box)
Karston cheekpiece
Harris Bi-pod
DSC00124.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Got a question, sorry if its common knowlege or plain dumb, but here goes.
I recently purchased a Rem. 338 lapua. Im not a gunsmith, but am needing to know what thread it has if I remove the factory break. What I'm wanting to do is put a JP enterprises break on, and still be able to put an awc on later. JP's site said for their black break with outside diameter of .875 it is not the indurstry standard thread, its a 5/8- 28tpi. Do I need this break, or buy their stainless break with industry standard thread of 5/8 24 tpi an get it coated?.
Any help graatly appreciated. Thanks

It's 5/8 x 24 tpi. I got one from RWS here on the hide. He has 2 sizes 1.000 inch, and 1.250" I got the 1" tapered to .834 and timed it myself in a lathe, then duracoated it. It really helped with recoil, and no more debris blown everywhere. RWS gets the breaks out to you very fast.

How did you go about getting the factory brake off???

Thanks
Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

It's threaded on and secured with Loctite from the factory. Heat it up to 470 degrees to melt the Loctite. While hot put a couple philips screw drivers through the holes and back it off. It can be torqued so expect to be putting 50 to 75 foot pounds torque to break it loose. Then it will spin right off.

Hired Gun,

THANK YOU!

I will give it a go this weekend... the factory brake is just NOT enough
smile.gif

I gotta find a better brake for it.

Matt.

I placed an order for a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 Hi Speed/Zero Stop MLR scope. Badger rings and mount, a triad tactical large stock pack, and some 300 gr SMK's on the way. Still planning on doing a Manners or MCM stock. I do not have one ordered yet. I'll see how she shoots stock before I order one.

Got mine back from Benchmark Barrels....the factory chamber was all screwed up and was leaving some nasty marks on my Lapua brass. I had Benchmark set the barrel back a couple threads and re-chamber it; they also trued up the action. It was shooting well for it's first 13 rounds (factory Lapua 250gr ammo) so hopefully that will continue! Going to get it skim bedded tomorrow and will hopefully have a range report next weekend.

I have mine ready for load development. NF is mounted.

I am planning on getting some loads worked up for saturday morning.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a starting point with
RL 25?

Thanks

I would contact the manufacturer of whichever bullet you plan on using. When I got my MLR 2 years ago, Sierra at that time had not extensively tested RL 25 in the 338 Lapua and it wasn't listed in their latest reloading manual. I used a load one of the established members here posted. 86 grs of RL 25 behind a 300 SMK loaded to 3.64 COL in Lapua brass with a Fed GM215M primer. I have no way of measuring the pressure of this load, so what might seem safe in my rifle might not be safe in yours. If you're planning on using Sierra's bullets, they have a toll free tech line at 1-800-223-8799. With the popularity of this round, I would imagine they've done more development in the last two years.

Is there an aftermarket brake that will just simply thread on that DOES NOT require sending the rifle to a gunsmith...

I noticed the Badger says a gunsmith install is needed.... but just wondering if thats more for the process of removing the old brake...

I NEED one for my Remington MLR .338.... and can get my factory brake off..

Thanks
Matt

The factory brake will come right off exactly as I describe in my post just a couple up from here. Follow it to the letter and I guarantee the results. The temperature is the critical part. The new brake will require some lathe skill or luck to get timed up right.

Robpiat,

Did you take yours to a smith... or did it fit the factory barrel by just simply threading on??

Matt.

I did it myself...It comes with some indexing shims that are thousands thick. You find the right amount to get it to about 10 o'clock and then torque it the rest the way.

AWESOME!! Thanks. I will give that one a shot...

I just DONT have anyone here that I trust to mess with the rifle... and HATE shipping it out... especially with the holidays... It would be my luck it would come up missing.

Matt.

Just Called PRC.

AWESOME PEOPLE to deal with (Stacy)

Great service and will be ordering some items tonight from them.

Thanks again,

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

well, I'm getting terrible accuracy out of mine. 3-4 MOA.

So far my most "accurate" load was this:

88.0 grains Retumbo
300 SMK
Federal 215's
3.685 OAL

at 155 yards, my group was about 3.5-4". I did not measure.

5 shots
Velocities:

They were spread pretty good.

I have not tried any 250 grain pills yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to. This is a pretty big disappointment.

3-4 MOA, I'd expect to see some defect on the crown or in the barrel/chamber. If not, are you sure the scope/mounts/rings are good to go? Have you checked the torque on the action screws?

Just stating the obvious here, because it should be shooting a lot better than that. I bet Remington would help you out if it's really that bad, but dealing with a company that large always sucks.

I have had really good luck with 250's in mine, have not had a chance to run any 300's.

Please keep us updated.

Mine is original barrel, original brake. I'm getting .75" groups consistantly from boxed ammo, Black Hills or Cor-Bon 300 grain. I haven't tried 250gr yet, but look forward to it. I'm no professional, but your rifle must have a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I'm getting terrible accuracy out of mine. 3-4 MOA.

So far my most "accurate" load was this:

88.0 grains Retumbo
300 SMK
Federal 215's
3.685 OAL

at 155 yards, my group was about 3.5-4". I did not measure.

5 shots
Velocities:

They were spread pretty good.

I have not tried any 250 grain pills yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to. This is a pretty big disappointment.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3-4 MOA, I'd expect to see some defect on the crown or in the barrel/chamber. If not, are you sure the scope/mounts/rings are good to go? Have you checked the torque on the action screws?

Just stating the obvious here, because it should be shooting a lot better than that. I bet Remington would help you out if it's really that bad, but dealing with a company that large always sucks.

I have had really good luck with 250's in mine, have not had a chance to run any 300's.

Please keep us updated. </div></div>

I mounted everything myself, to proper torque specs. Badger rings and base, NF scope. Everything is GTG there. I didn't find anything upon initial inspection but I'm going to reinspect everything right now.

Also, as a side note, the damn thing doesn't eject brass very well, most of the time at all. I believe it could use a stiffer spring.

Try loading it hotter by working it up...Thats on the light end. IIRC 94 is where I found it tightening up. Others here are even hotter than that.

I'm already around 2600 FPS at 89 grains retumbo, and about 2575 with 86 grains of RL 25. I'm concerned about going to far with this rifle and caliber.

Should I really expect my groups to get substantially better, under 1 MOA at least by pushing the 300 SMK faster? Sure it's possible, but I believe this to be an issue with the rifle itself.

FWIW, I bought a lead sled to do my second round of testing with. It helped, but not by much.

Mine did. It definitely has a better prospect of improving your groups than not trying
smile.gif

Lapua factory ammo shows 2700 FPS on their site. I am not an expert, read through this thread and there is some loading tips.

ETA: Check that the stock is clear of the barrel and also replace the brake with something that works better.

I just re-inspected my brass. I'm not sure how I missed it in the field, but there is some pretty serious build up on the necks of each one of the casings.

I've never run into this before, but it can't be good. Any ideas?

I'm running 86 grains of RL 25 and getting about .75MOA. Try some factory ammo next. Don't push the handloads any hotter than what the reloading manuals call for. The MLR doesn't have a huge safety margin built into it. The 5th edtion of Sierra's reloading manual doesn't show either Retumbo or RL 25 with the 300 gr SMK, but they list 94.6 as the max for the 250 gr SMK. Call Sierra at the tech line 1.800.223.8799 for more up to date reloading data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 86 grains of RL 25 and getting about .75MOA. Try some factory ammo next. Don't push the handloads any hotter than what the reloading manuals call for. The MLR doesn't have a huge safety margin built into it. The 5th edtion of Sierra's reloading manual doesn't show either Retumbo or RL 25 with the 300 gr SMK, but they list 94.6 as the max for the 250 gr SMK. Call Sierra at the tech line 1.800.223.8799 for more up to date reloading data.

</div></div>

I called sierra before loading with Retumbo. They said to start at 85 and end at 94.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 86 grains of RL 25 and getting about .75MOA. Try some factory ammo next. Don't push the handloads any hotter than what the reloading manuals call for. The MLR doesn't have a huge safety margin built into it. The 5th edtion of Sierra's reloading manual doesn't show either Retumbo or RL 25 with the 300 gr SMK, but they list 94.6 as the max for the 250 gr SMK. Call Sierra at the tech line 1.800.223.8799 for more up to date reloading data.

</div></div>

Hodgdon shows it up to 94, Compressed. IIRC, Earlier in the thread somewhere they talk about how 338 Lapua max pressure has been reduced about 10% from what it was years back.