• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 PSS barrell round count question?

vferguson3006

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Maine
some opinions on the life of a 700 pss barrell in .308. the barrell has 800 rounds through it as well as the rest of the rifle, is this rifle near the end of its "accurate" life, even if well maintained?

Re: Remington 700 PSS barrell round count question?

uh, no.... I shoot in the 190's yet at 600y NRA F class w/ my factory remington tube that has 3k+ rounds down the tube. The only thing I had done from the start was having the barrel set back 2 full turns, had the chamber recut and muzzle recrowned. After a while the rough rem barrel with smoothen out and copper wont be such an issue.

+1 to Auto. My issued 700 was initially cut/crowned and set back with recut chamber. The rifle is holding sub 1/2 MOA with a round count of about 2500.

Recut the factory crown and you'll see an improvement even with 1k+ down the bore. I have yet to see a factory barrel that didn't shoot a little better after cutting a new crown. Having the barrel set back can help if you want to shoot a specific bullet but dont handload. I have found that seating the bullet out to just a few thousand off the lands works just as well.
But a factory barrel will either shoot well and hold it for 4k-5k or so in a 308 or it wont shoot for crap right from the begining and 500 or 5,000 wont matter.