• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 700 rifle build

bronco9588

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Charleston, SC
All,

I am interested in doing a rifle build and see a lot of value in a la cart shopping for rifle components. Instead of buying a rifle and doing a lot of custom work is there a possibility of buying a custom made 700 action, a trigger, a stock, and potentially doing a rem-age thread in barrel solution? I was wondering if I am over my head on this, but I am looking for a long distance tack driver. Here are my requirements in no particular order:

1) Magazine fed
2) Swappable barrels
3) 300 WSM
4) Blueprinted action
5) Tunable trigger (Jewell)
6) 20 MOA tactical base

A list of components (or books) would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Re: Remington 700 rifle build

Yes, you can piecemeal the gun. I have one built one on a Stiller TAC30 from a group buy here Here is Stillers website for info, www.viperactions.com. I know others make drop-in Remington replacement actions also.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "rem-age thread in barrel solution" but if I remember correctly, Stiller has a different thread pitch and length than Remingtons, (I'd have to check to be sure) so you wouldn't be able to just "screw on a Remington barrel". Perhaps some of the other manufactures use the same thread and length (tenon?), but you'd still have to make sure the headspace is correct.

However, in today's economy, I think you could probably buy a very slightly used one cheaper than you can put one together using new components. If you use the compnents you listed, and throw a McMillan stock in also, assuming you are buying a new barrel and having it threaded, you are easily going to be north of $2,200 and probably over $2,500 (without a scope and bedding it yourself).

If I were to do it again I'd probably look for a used gun, even though there is satisfaction in putting together exactly what you want, it doesn't end up any cheaper. Plus, it could be much faster buying the whole gun.

By the way, I see you mentioned a 300 WSM, and you want to make it a switch barrel. If you build it on a short action in 300 WSM, your other chamberings will be somewhat limited, due to the bolt face dimension (300 WSM has a .535 casehead) and the short action (i.e. your other barrel can't be a 30-06 as it would require a long action and a .473 bolt face). You should carefully consider your other desired chamberings before proceeding.

if you're going to do a barrel swapping, Savage would be a better choice than the 700.

Other wise I'm thinking Blazer, Mauser, Sako, Sauer 202, some other high end guns. Custom gun with that capability? I know there are a few but don't recall at this time

you can go with an AR-10 type rifle. Simply swap top ends.

I do think I am having a problem of performance creep where I want a great gun and learn about something better to add to my initial setup. I agree that it is not going to be cheap, but I don't see how a gun and action with blue printing is going to come out under a piecemeal gun.

http://www.mcreesprecision.net/rem-age.htm for the rem-age thingy. I like the idea because I could replace a worn out barrel. Not to interested in caliber swaps. I know I will probably not put down that many rounds, but I like to keep my options.

I do want this to be a bolt gun so I am not really interested in AR10. I got an FNAR that does the same thing/ same round.

I was planning on going long action with the WSM.

If you plan the one chamber, the "switch barrel", you're confused.
You can will replace the barrel only when needed, like 2,000-4,000 rd.
That think is ugly, but some might think not.
Why a long action (whippy) on a short action chamber?

+1 on frog4215 's comment on the "switch Barrel". When it's time to rebarrel a Rem 700, the gubsmith can just unscrew the current barrel (or you can if you have an action wrench and barrel vise), and screw on the new one. If you have the recoil lug pinned to the action you can switch barrels yourself (after the barrel is properly threaded and headspaced by a smith) without even having to remove the stock in most cases.

I can relate to why he may want to use a long action though, as I had a WSM once and the heavier bullets extended down pretty far into the case. It sure would have been nice to have that extra powder capacity available and be able to fit the cartidges in the mag. At that point though, do you just go with a different LA cartridge or stay with a WSM.

Excuse me, I thought 300 WSM stood for WincheSter Magnum. I believe I am incorrect. I want to go 300 Winchester Magnum because it is a heavier and flatter shooting bullet that the 308 winchester. I figure it can take any American Game and can go 1200 yards. With that being said, I believe I have to go long action with the 300 WM.

From my research, the barrel needs to be replaced or machined every 1000 to 1200 rounds on the WM.

The nice thing about the rem-age should be a tunable head space that you get with the lug nut. I think the Remington would have to be machined, threaded, head space checked, repeat which would require machining on the barrel at any swap.

Another link: http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/remington-700-rifle-barrels.html/

You are correct w/ that. WSM = Winchester Short Magnum
A 300 WM = Winchester Magnum = Long Action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco9588</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excuse me, I thought 300 WSM stood for WincheSter Magnum. I believe I am incorrect. I want to go 300 Winchester Magnum because it is a heavier and flatter shooting bullet that the 308 winchester. I figure it can take any American Game and can go 1200 yards. With that being said, I believe I have to go long action with the 300 WM.

From my research, the barrel needs to be replaced or machined every 1000 to 1200 rounds on the WM.

The nice thing about the rem-age should be a tunable head space that you get with the lug nut. I think the Remington would have to be machined, threaded, head space checked, repeat which would require machining on the barrel at any swap.

Another link: http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/remington-700-rifle-barrels.html/ </div></div>

I haven't seen a barrel go that quick. I used a used factory Rem Sendero .300WM barrel that could still cloverleaf at 100 after shooting more ammo through it than that.

You barrel life will vary depending on manufacturer, twist, loads. What are you hunting at 1200?

There are a couple of smiths on here that can and have done barrel switch kits for two calibers on the Rem platform.

1) Hunting paper mostly. I like precision, but never really had anyone to take me hunting, and my father was not into the game. I want to be able to go with some friends whenever, and feel that the 300 WM should get the job done.

2) Current build. Any foreseen issues with this combo?
a) Pierce long action repeater that comes with firing pin assembly. And will get the 20 MOA base with it.
b) Mcrees Precision rifle stock
c) Jewell Trigger
d) APA fat bastard break
e) Mcrees Precision Rem-age barrel

that should set me back 3000 ish, but have adjustable head spacing, calm recoil, accurate and adjustable trigger, and be pretty sweet IMO.

3) I wonder if there has been a comparison of the Lawton, Borden, Pierce, Surgeon, Bernard, and Stiller. 6mmbr.com did an overview, but not a review.

4) I don't know other calibers that fall in the 300 wm boltface family, but I could also be able to experiment with barrel twist rate and length with the rem-age system.