• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sear - why can't I find a high-quality replacement?

FourTeeFive

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2011
This mystified me after I took apart my Remington 700 Milspec 5R and saw the cheap-looking MIM factory sear. Why doesn't anyone make a nice machined replacement sear? It seems odd that there don't seem to be any available for a rifle as common as the Remington 700.

I'm going to say because of liability concerns. With the R700 platform, there are so many choices for complete triggers. Why bother with just a sear?

I'm going to say because of liability concerns. With the R700 platform, there are so many choices for complete triggers. Why bother with just a sear?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Jewell (for example) still uses the factory MIM sear.

This link describes the materials in the Jewell trigger.

A. Internal parts are 3/16″ 440C stainless steel, heat treated
and tempered throughout to 58 Rockwell ‘C’ scale."

B. Side plates are .050″ aircraft grade 300 series stainless sheet steel.

C. All hardware, including through pins, main spring, spacers, and screws, are stainless steel.

Jewell Trigger Users? Manual within AccurateShooter.com

I don't see any mention of metal injection molded parts.

The last Jewell trigger I handled was 100% Jewell - including its own sear.

Maybe sear isn't the correct term for this part, although I saw in called that in the article which showed this photo. The part I'm talking about is the one above the small spring in the upper right of the photo:

trigcompaftreml.jpg

The last Jewell trigger I handled was 100% Jewell - including its own sear.

Evidently I'm using the wrong term for the part. I believe it is officially called the "sear safety cam".

I don't think it is included with a Jewell trigger.

I've not seen any issues with the MIM sear. A solid machined part may be a bit of a personal preference, but I don't see it as necessary. I have been able to get factory XMark triggers (not ‘pro’) down to 2.5# with a re-spring and minimal polishing of the sear. Just my experiance.

I've not seen any issues with the MIM sear. A solid machined part may be a bit of a personal preference, but I don't see it as necessary. I have been able to get factory XMark triggers (not ‘pro’) down to 2.5# with a re-spring and minimal polishing of the sear. Just my experiance.

Definitely just personal preference on my part. But upon looking I'm just surprised I can't find any for the Remington 700. I can find aftermarket high-end sears for my CZ 452. Seems odd.

The part in question is not used in the Jewell trigger. The Jewell is a completely self contained unit.

Now with the recall, I guess I'll just go out and buy a Jewell trigger anyway!