• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 stock opinions

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
Im thinking of purchasing a new stock for my remington 700 to replace its crap one it came with. I was looking at this :
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail
my budget is around $500. what im looking for is more of a metal tactical stock all black like found on military ones. Any idea where they can be found or the price? links are appreciated, thank!

Re: Remington 700 stock opinions

I got the all black BC Light Varmint (A2) I believe, with the hook on it. I thought it would be a junk pile compared to Mcm, HSP, Manners etc. But truth is I like it as good as any stock I have. I tried the AICS but absolutely hated it, but that's what they say, love em or hate em. I would like to try the AX series though. And my gun shoots just as good in the BC as it does in the AICS I borrowed for my .243 SPS. If it's a factory gun I'd slap on a BC on it save the $, and shoot the brrl out, all while saving $, then when it goes, send the whole thing off to a good Smith, by then you will have had a blast, and learned a lot, and maybe another gun to put the BC on while your shot out one becomes a laser.

BTW I know where an A5 is for BDL bottom, and sniper filled for $525
wink.gif

You'll want to bed your action in that mcmillan, it's not really "drop in". Save your money for a manners mini chassis or an AICS and live with the el cheapo lame-o until then. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor and be glad in the long run.

McMillan or Manners stock (non bedded, but inletted for your barreled action), $500
DBM system, $325
Pillar bedding, $200

If you stick with the floor plate that came in your stock, you're still almost at the cost of getting an AICS 1.5 or a non- adjustable mini chassis.

Pillar bedding is not $200. I believe you can get pillars installed with McMillan or Manners for $35 when the stock is made. You're thinking of a glass AND pillar bedding job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pillar bedding is not $200. I believe you can get pillars installed with McMillan or Manners for $35 when the stock is made. You're thinking of a glass AND pillar bedding job. </div></div>

Agreed but you're still at $850+ when all is said and done and you still have bedding that can wear down over time. Some guys don't mind this and performance should be equal all things considered but my preference is the mini chassis.

I bought my B&C A5 and bedding it only cost me the price of the bedding compound. Mostly because I can follow simple directions. Rifle is just as accurate as a friend's with a 700P in an AICS while costing me 1/2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im thinking of purchasing a new stock for my remington 700 to replace its crap one it came with. I was looking at this :
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail
my budget is around $500. what im looking for is more of a metal tactical stock all black like found on military ones. Any idea where they can be found or the price? links are appreciated, thank! </div></div>

That is a very good stock if you like the way it looks which is my only complaint. I have one, and everything feels great about it. It's all adjustable, and if you need to, you can skim bed it your self easy enough. If you must stay under budget, then this is a very good choice. The next best choice would be a Manners with the mini chasis. This keeps you from having to get involved with pillar bedding jobs, or depending on someone to do it for you.I personally like McMillan because of their endless options, and big veriety of stocks. At the end of the day, you will be close to $1K with a McMillan or a Manners. Therefore, the BC is a very good option if you can't wait, or don't want to go over your proposed budget.

I chose the B&C A5 and will do my own bedding when i get my action back. Was only 425 from redhawk rifles

Your budget is your own, but in my research I was either going to have to make a lot of compromises and save a few dollars. Spend well over a thousand dollars for no compromises, or go with a chassis for cheaper with no real compromises. I went with the AICS 1.5, No backorder or special order, I got a top of the line magazine system, a fully bedded rigid stock and it fits perfectly for me (and anyone with the customizable length of pull).

The chassis gave me a no compromise build for $850 bucks.

Just ordered everything the other day
aac-sd
XLR evolution folding

I have been looking for a while and a manners with dbm kit was 100 less then the xlr so I splurged and got what i wanted from the get go

Spend once in stead of a stock now and a chassis next year