• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington M24 Issue with AICS Stock. Which caliber do I have?

macmann

Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Houston, tx
Gents, I purchased an M24A3 system several years ago and never fired it. It sat in my"mancave" for the longest time. It came with a AICS 2.0 stock in both green and dark earth. While looking at everything in the Hardigg case, I came across an issue. I thought all M24's were .308 caliber. I checked the magazine I recieved and it's a 300 win mag magazine that fits perfectly in the stock. My question is, do I actually have a 300 winmag or 308? THe manual states 308 and I don't see any stamping anywhere on the gun.

well you can take a 300 win mag and see if it will chamber. 308 should be a short action, and 300 win should be a long action. you can also take a look down you chamber with a light and see how long the chamber is. 308 is a lot shorter case than a .300 win mag.

It should say 7.62 or 300WM on the left side of the barrel. Look at the bolt face, see if a 308 fits on the face
The M24 is a long action regardless of caliber

All m24s are long action. We had a few of ours in the aics after breaking the hs, and we had to use the 300 wm magazines. Check your chamber to verify.

This is getting even more confusing. I will take some pics tonight and post. Are all ai magazines the same dimension regardless of caliber?

No there not, the M24 uses a long action even though it was orig chambered for the short action 308. The army did this on purpose so they could upgrade to 300wm in the future. They finally started upgrading to 300wm 20yrs later.
Where did you get the rifle? There should be a caliber stamp on the barrel if it's a factory m24. The Aics long action chassis need to use the long action mag, so they would use the 308 in it for it to work correctly, feed lips would be modified some. Post up some pics of the side of the rifle and the bolt face, if it is a 338 it would have 338 mags and a very large boltface.

I just got to the bottom of my dilemma. My rifle is actually a M24a2 with stepped barrel and threaded end. This is the only one I have seen ever. I've actually never seen one for sale. The reason it has the long action stock is because the short action stock does not fit properly due to long action of the m24. Wyfox, you are correct, the 300 win mag magazine will work and was modified to work.

Wait, let me get this straight... You bought a rifle, without knowing what caliber it was, and then didn't shoot it for a couple YEARS?
What kind of sick pervert are you!?!?? Not firing a new rifle for YEARS? That is just so... So... WRONG!
I hope these good folks here can help you get this resolved SOON so you can go shoot it... That just ain't healthy.

haha, yes unfortunately I have several unfired weapons. I usually shoot my OBR on a regular basis and never get around to the other stuff. Thanks for all the help guys.

I just got to the bottom of my dilemma. My rifle is actually a M24a2 with stepped barrel and threaded end. This is the only one I have seen ever. I've actually never seen one for sale. The reason it has the long action stock is because the short action stock does not fit properly due to long action of the m24. Wyfox, you are correct, the 300 win mag magazine will work and was modified to work.
An M24A2 is the 300WM version, and it will have a long action regardless of whether it's chambered for 308Win or 300WM. A bunch of us would like to see pix! I'm surprised it doesn't have the chambering marked on the barrel.

Wait, let me get this straight... You bought a rifle, without knowing what caliber it was, and then didn't shoot it for a couple YEARS?
What kind of sick pervert are you!?!?? Not firing a new rifle for YEARS? That is just so... So... WRONG!
I hope these good folks here can help you get this resolved SOON so you can go shoot it... That just ain't healthy.

Like having a mistress and not....

I have seen the remington video for demonstration by Mark Haugen and the M24A2 is still in .308. The MK13 is the 300 win mag rifle and the M24A3 is for 338 Lapua Magnum.

Click on View Specifications:

Remington Defense

Heath

more than likely a mk13.

Remington doesn't make the MK13. It is a SOCOM purpose-built rifle made at NSWC Crane, IN using R700LA and the MK13 Mod5 will have the contour on the muzzle and no threads for a QD KAC suppressor (MK13 MOD5 | HIGH CALIBER SALES, LLC). The M24A2 has 11/16-24 threads on the muzzle and a 20deg taper 4.5" back from the muzzle for the Ops Inc 3rd model.

Last edited:
If you are willing, some detailed pictures of the rifle and acc. would be appreciated either posted here or in the M24 build thread.

Is this a factory M24A ?

What is the serial number prefix, U.S. marked?

For reference, AI did make some AICS chassis specifically for the M24s... aka a long action with a short action cartridge. They were the long action chassis with a different magwell; and used the short action magazines.

Chances are, it is just a long action chassis and the magazines have to be modified if they were not already done so.