• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington M24 Special Run rifles only @ EuroOptic

It is a very nice rifle, I just wanted to know that it is held to the exact same standards as the military ones.

My understanding from the former Remington employee who managed the Remington Defense sales aspect of the business, all rifles sold as "M24s" by Remington Defense are built by the same hand-selected employees of Remington's "M24 shop" and all are built to the same military spec established in the late 1980s, regardless of whether its a military, Law Enforcement, or civilian customer. His review is no longer online, but here's some excerpts:

M24 Sniper Weapons System

February 28, 2017

M24 Sniper Rifle – Details Matter

Author: Michael Haugen

"A considerable amount has been written about the M24 Sniper Weapons System (SWS) over the years (some of from me), but much of the information has focused on specific aspects such as its history, exceptional feats accomplished, etc. The thought occurred to me that many of the nuances of the rifle and system over its life are not well known and there seems to be a genuine interest in these things.

This article will attempt to address a variety of things unique to the M24 SWS that people seem to ask about or in some cases pontificate on incorrectly. The source of my information comes from two sources; my decade plus experience as a sniper and sniper instructor and my twelve plus years working for Remington (Military Products Division/Remington Defense). I will say up front that there are some aspects of this system (specifically its early development) that are slightly ambiguous and fraught with numerous variations of the events, therefore I will skirt many of these for the time being and rather focus on hard information that might be of interest.

....there are a number of things with the M24 that many people don’t know or have been incorrectly purported over years."

PRODUCTION

The M24 is not built on the normal Remington 700 production line; rather it is built in what is called the “M24 shop” by a dedicated group of professionals. This should not be confused with the custom shop, nor should this be taken to mean that those who build the M24 are “custom” gun makers. The M24 shop exists because the contract demanded that the rifles be constructed and stored in a secure facility not accessible by the average employee. Each rifle is built by one employee from beginning to end, then the rifle is proofed, magnufluxed, proofed a second time, and then fired for accuracy also known as targeted (with ammunition provided by the Army).

The employees that work in the M24 shop are exceptionally proud to work there and are hand selected to be given the opportunity to do so. These employees understand the significance of building rifles that will be used by professionals to defend themselves and their fellow soldiers. While the M24 SWS contract created the M24 shop and subsequently this has become the source for all Remington sniper rifles

...(My note: ever wonder why M24 triggers are so expensive? (also used on the M40A3/A5) - well each one is thoroughly tested to meet the original US Army specs):

"THE TRIGGER

One component of the M24 specification was the requirement for a user adjustable trigger (“the rifle shall have a trigger pull capable of being adjusted by the user”). The trigger weight was to be not less than 2 lbs 8oz and “more” than 4lbs (it could exceed 4 lbs). As a result of these specifications, Remington modified their existing trigger by adding a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe than can be adjusted by the operator. This trigger is called the “M24 Fire Control” and is normally only used on the M24 series of rifles (M24, M24A2, M24A3).

While the M24 Fire Control is technically unique, truthfully it is as stated a standard Remington commercial 700 trigger (fire control) with a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe to allow it to be adjusted by the user. It is worth noting that “adjustment” is a relative term when it comes to this trigger. What I mean is that the trigger is manufactured (set up) to be somewhere between 3.5 and 5 lbs (they try to get around 3.8 – 4lbs), however the adjustment screw can never make it any lighter, only heavier. In other words, the screw can be completely removed without making the trigger/weapon unsafe and in fact many sniper students do exactly that. The intent of the requirement was to give the sniper an adjustable trigger (as I know the shooters involved with development specified), however soldiers being soldiers, if there is a screw that can be manipulated, it will be and Remington did not want a weapon system that could be made unsafe.

It’s worth noting that each M24 Fire Control is set and then tested with 5 pulls; the trigger must produce a pull force less than 5lbs throughout the test to be used. Once the trigger is set, the sear engagement screw is peened; a punch is used to dent the screw pathway so that that it cannot back out. Also, all three adjustment screws are coated with a shellac material that dries hard. Usually this shellac is red, but I have seen clear as well.

....(My note: While it not stated in the the below exceprt, but worth noting that all M24 barrel bores are given an extra 'honing' process by the Remington Defense guys, which is unique process done in the "M24 shop" - and I suspect helps explain the M24's consistent sub-MOA accuracy over a 3 decade period...)

THE BARREL

As noted in the specs above, the M24 barrel is 24” long and what some would consider a heavy or perhaps medium heavy barrel. It begins at 1.203” at the receiver and has a slight taper to .910” at the muzzle. It has a recessed crown to protect the lands and grooves. The barrel is cold hammer forged and made from 416R stainless steel and features a 1:11.25 twist using 5R rifling profile. The barrels feature Remington proof stamps near the receiver and “7.62 NATO” on the side of the barrel.

"These barrels have proven to provide outstanding accuracy and far exceed the 2.6 MOA requirement (2.6 inches @ 200 yards), in fact I have personally never witnessed a M24 that did not shoot sub-MOA throughout its life. Speaking of the barrel’s life, the Army specified that the barrel must remain accurate to 5000 rounds, however I have personally seen many of them exceed 10,000 (while remaining accurate) and in one case had a documented 14,000 round barrel shooting 1 MOA."

CONCLUSION

The M24 remains one of the US’s best and most used sniper weapons system. It was issued to the entire US Army as well as the US Air Force. In total approximately 2500 systems were sold to the US military and another roughly 8000 sold to US law enforcement and foreign military allies. It was the C130 or UH1 of sniper rifles in that it was exceptionally robust, accurate and durable and served well from approximately 1988 until 2010 when it was upgraded to the M2010 (guess one could argue it is still in use). Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), technology ran past the M24 making it difficult to integrate into the modern methods of conducting battle. Due to its shortcomings (which were very few), the M24A2 was developed, however that is the basis for another article.

....My bottom-line understanding is this: The M24s currently sold by EuroOptic are built to the exact same specs and level of testing as required by the U.S. military since 1988. That is part of why they are so pricey as well, there are a lot of little details that Remington Defense does to that rifle that didn't apply to a standard M700. The NSN number established back in 1986 for the M24 was a one-time event, and thus M24s made in 1996 or 2006 or 2020 didn't get a new NSN, but the company providing the rifle (Remington Defense) reportedly builds them to the original mil-spec standard by the same dedicated employees in the "M24 shop." Thus customers or dealers who order a M24, Remington Defense SKU 25732, 25727, or 25679 - get the same mil-spec rifle, whether ordered by a foreign military, a domestic law enforcement entity, or for civilian sales by Euro Optic. My 2cts.

Last edited:
My understanding from the former Remington employee who managed the Remington Defense sales aspect of the business, all rifles sold as "M24s" by Remington Defense are built by the same hand-selected employees of Remington's "M24 shop" and all are built to the same military spec established in the late 1980s, regardless of whether its a Law Enforcement, or civilian customer. His review is no longer online, but here's some excerpts:

M24 Sniper Weapons System

February 28, 2017

M24 Sniper Rifle – Details Matter

Author: Michael Haugen

"A considerable amount has been written about the M24 Sniper Weapons System (SWS) over the years (some of from me), but much of the information has focused on specific aspects such as its history, exceptional feats accomplished, etc. The thought occurred to me that many of the nuances of the rifle and system over its life are not well known and there seems to be a genuine interest in these things.

This article will attempt to address a variety of things unique to the M24 SWS that people seem to ask about or in some cases pontificate on incorrectly. The source of my information comes from two sources; my decade plus experience as a sniper and sniper instructor and my twelve plus years working for Remington (Military Products Division/Remington Defense). I will say up front that there are some aspects of this system (specifically its early development) that are slightly ambiguous and fraught with numerous variations of the events, therefore I will skirt many of these for the time being and rather focus on hard information that might be of interest.

....there are a number of things with the M24 that many people don’t know or have been incorrectly purported over years."

PRODUCTION

The M24 is not built on the normal Remington 700 production line; rather it is built in what is called the “M24 shop” by a dedicated group of professionals. This should not be confused with the custom shop, nor should this be taken to mean that those who build the M24 are “custom” gun makers. The M24 shop exists because the contract demanded that the rifles be constructed and stored in a secure facility not accessible by the average employee. Each rifle is built by one employee from beginning to end, then the rifle is proofed, magnufluxed, proofed a second time, and then fired for accuracy also known as targeted (with ammunition provided by the Army).

The employees that work in the M24 shop are exceptionally proud to work there and are hand selected to be given the opportunity to do so. These employees understand the significance of building rifles that will be used by professionals to defend themselves and their fellow soldiers. While the M24 SWS contract created the M24 shop and subsequently this has become the source for all Remington sniper rifles

...(My note: ever wonder why M24 triggers are so expensive? (also used on the M40A3/A5) - well each one is thoroughly tested to meet the original US Army specs):

"THE TRIGGER

One component of the M24 specification was the requirement for a user adjustable trigger (“the rifle shall have a trigger pull capable of being adjusted by the user”). The trigger weight was to be not less than 2 lbs 8oz and “more” than 4lbs (it could exceed 4 lbs). As a result of these specifications, Remington modified their existing trigger by adding a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe than can be adjusted by the operator. This trigger is called the “M24 Fire Control” and is normally only used on the M24 series of rifles (M24, M24A2, M24A3).

While the M24 Fire Control is technically unique, truthfully it is as stated a standard Remington commercial 700 trigger (fire control) with a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe to allow it to be adjusted by the user. It is worth noting that “adjustment” is a relative term when it comes to this trigger. What I mean is that the trigger is manufactured (set up) to be somewhere between 3.5 and 5 lbs (they try to get around 3.8 – 4lbs), however the adjustment screw can never make it any lighter, only heavier. In other words, the screw can be completely removed without making the trigger/weapon unsafe and in fact many sniper students do exactly that. The intent of the requirement was to give the sniper an adjustable trigger (as I know the shooters involved with development specified), however soldiers being soldiers, if there is a screw that can be manipulated, it will be and Remington did not want a weapon system that could be made unsafe.

It’s worth noting that each M24 Fire Control is set and then tested with 5 pulls; the trigger must produce a pull force less than 5lbs throughout the test to be used. Once the trigger is set, the sear engagement screw is peened; a punch is used to dent the screw pathway so that that it cannot back out. Also, all three adjustment screws are coated with a shellac material that dries hard. Usually this shellac is red, but I have seen clear as well.

....(My note: While it not stated in the the below exceprt, but worth noting that all M24 barrels are given an extra 'honing' process by the Remington Defense guys, which is unique process done in the "M24 shop" - and I suspect helps explain the M24's consistent sub-MOA accuracy over a 3 decade period...)

THE BARREL

As noted in the specs above, the M24 barrel is 24” long and what some would consider a heavy or perhaps medium heavy barrel. It begins at 1.203” at the receiver and has a slight taper to .910” at the muzzle. It has a recessed crown to protect the lands and grooves. The barrel is cold hammer forged and made from 416R stainless steel and features a 1:11.25 twist using 5R rifling profile. The barrels feature Remington proof stamps near the receiver and “7.62 NATO” on the side of the barrel.

"These barrels have proven to provide outstanding accuracy and far exceed the 2.6 MOA requirement (2.6 inches @ 200 yards), in fact I have personally never witnessed a M24 that did not shoot sub-MOA throughout its life. Speaking of the barrel’s life, the Army specified that the barrel must remain accurate to 5000 rounds, however I have personally seen many of them exceed 10,000 (while remaining accurate) and in one case had a documented 14,000 round barrel shooting 1 MOA."

CONCLUSION

The M24 remains one of the US’s best and most used sniper weapons system. It was issued to the entire US Army as well as the US Air Force. In total approximately 2500 systems were sold to the US military and another roughly 8000 sold to US law enforcement and foreign military allies. It was the C130 or UH1 of sniper rifles in that it was exceptionally robust, accurate and durable and served well from approximately 1988 until 2010 when it was upgraded to the M2010 (guess one could argue it is still in use). Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), technology ran past the M24 making it difficult to integrate into the modern methods of conducting battle. Due to its shortcomings (which were very few), the M24A2 was developed, however that is the basis for another article.

....My bottom-line understanding is this: The M24s currently sold by EuroOptic are built to the exact same specs and level of testing as required by the U.S. military since 1988. That is part of why they are so pricey as well, there are a lot of little details that Remington Defense does to that rifle that didn't apply to a standard M700. The NSN number established back in 1986 for the M24 was a one-time event, and thus M24 that was made in 1996 or 2006 or 2020 doesn't get an new NSN, but the company providing the item (Remington Defense) reportedly builds them to the original mil-spec standard by the same dedicated employees in the "M24 shop." Thus customers or dealers who order a M24, Remington Defense SKU 25732, 25727, or 25679 - get the same mil-spec rifle, whether ordered by a foreign military, a domestic law enforcement entity, or for civilian sales by Euro Optic. My 2cts.

Thank you for that very detailed response. I know when I compared it side by side to my 700p, the m24 is nicer in every way (700p is very nice and well built ).

Just wanted to provide a brief update on the m24 I purchased from euro optic. I did some load development with two different bullets (178 amax and 168 TMK). The rifle did well with both but loved the 168 TMK! Only shot 3 shot groups (without magnetospeed and then with ) . I was able to shoot 3, 3 shot groups in a row around 1/4 inch (smallest being .189). Very impressed with the m24. I plan on doing more shooting and testing but so far I am very happy with the rifle .

Reactions: deltawiskey
Why are you only shooting 3 round groups? 5 to 9 outdoor groups really show your shooting ability and the rifles ability. 3 rounds are fine for zeroing, but not much more than that.

Why are you only shooting 3 round groups? 5 to 9 outdoor groups really show your shooting ability and the rifles ability. 3 rounds are fine for zeroing, but not much more than that.

I plan on doing more testing and shooting 5 shot groups , but today just wanted to see which bullets and powder combo it liked without using to much powder and primers (hard to find in my area).

• Haha
Reactions: Troglodyte6
I plan on doing more testing and shooting 5 shot groups , but today just wanted to see which bullets and powder combo it liked without using to much powder and primers (hard to find in my area).
No worries. Post results of the larger groups when you shoot them.

The M24s tested with M118 ammo back in the late 1980s trials shot an average of 0.64” MOA with multiple 10-rd groups. I forgot how many groups, but nothing has really changed over the years. They are all sub-MOA with match ammo and reportedly have a long barrel life too.

Accuracy has never been an issue with an M24, and 5-rd groups printing ~0.5 MOA with match loads it likes is common, as noted in various online reviews. Have fun experimenting with a pet oad.

Reactions: apache64pilot
The only limitations I have experienced with the M24 are ammo consistency and the 10X scope. The hardware has never been the limitation in my shooting.

The only limitations I have experienced with the M24 are ammo consistency and the 10X scope. The hardware has never been the limitation in my shooting.
I never even had issues with the mk4 10x on ours. Would have preferred mil/mil vs mil/moa that they were.

I agree the Ultra and MK4 scopes are great other than the mil/moa. I just meant having a higher magnification than 10X would be nice at times.

The M24s tested with M118 ammo back in the late 1980s trials shot an average of 0.64” MOA with multiple 10-rd groups. I forgot how many groups, but nothing has really changed over the years. They are all sub-MOA with match ammo and reportedly have a long barrel life too.

Accuracy has never been an issue with an M24, and 5-rd groups printing ~0.5 MOA with match loads it likes is common, as noted in various online reviews. Have fun experimenting with a pet oad.
That's impressive, even if the gun and ammo combo is capable (I believe it is) I doubt I am capable of keeping 10rd group that tight. It's a fantastic gun and I am really enjoying shooting it.

I never even had issues with the mk4 10x on ours. Would have preferred mil/mil vs mil/moa that they were.
I have been looking at the mk4 10x scopes and they are hard to find and expensive. How does the mk4 10x compare to the swfa fixed 10x? Also, how is the 3.5-10 leupold? I really want to keep the size of the scope down and now it seems that scopes have become little telescopes on a rifle. Also considering putting an athlon midas tac 4-16 on cause it's one of the smaller scopes out there (have one on a different rifle and really like it).

Currently have a scope I had laying around mounted on the m24 but will be changing that out that down the line probably after Christmas and new years.

I have been looking at the mk4 10x scopes and they are hard to find and expensive. How does the mk4 10x compare to the swfa fixed 10x? Also, how is the 3.5-10 leupold? I really want to keep the size of the scope down and now it seems that scopes have become little telescopes on a rifle. Also considering putting an athlon midas tac 4-16 on cause it's one of the smaller scopes out there (have one on a different rifle and really like it).

Currently have a scope I had laying around mounted on the m24 but will be changing that out that down the line probably after Christmas and new years.
I like the swfa 10x42m. When I built my gun back in the kate 90s early 2k I built with the swfa vs the leupold. Back then they were closer. Both mil/moa with mil dots. Now they have mil/mil with milquad reticle. They are pretty amazing for the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-094006_kindlephoto-1351136181.png
    Screenshot_20220131-094006_kindlephoto-1351136181.png
    35 KB · Views: 26