• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

robertg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Well, I just got my EGW base and removed the old 2 piece base. It apperas there is some sort of bedding compound put there by the guys at Dick's when they mounted the scope there. I tried removing it with Acetone and Goo Off, but they didn't work. So, I scraped it off and got most it off, but it appears there is some very minor residue still there. Also, I noticed that none of it stuck to the bases, only to the receiver. I called Dick's and the people there at the time didn't know what it was, and the scope guy is not there until later today. Should I care that there is some very minor residue still there? Any other tips for removing what is stil there? Thanks.

Re: Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

Try some heat. Use a hair dryer on high and keep it moving over the area and use a wooded spatual to rub the material off. Should work.

Re: Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

Thanks for the hair dryer suggestion. I will five it a try. I spoke to them at dicks and they said they use Devcon.