• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing remy 700 firing pin replacement

shootist2004

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2005
las vegas
Ive been banging on the 3/32 pin for an hour now.....
is this thing glued in? it wont budge!
I soaked it in kroil for 24 hours...
I would take it to a gunsmith but I cant wait 6 months!
any advice?

Re: remy 700 firing pin replacement

Tried it from both sides? Sometimes a little persuasion in different directions helps.

Normally they come out will little resistance. If this is an older rifle then they can be a pain. Like stated above try both sides. You will need a punch that is the right size. You will need the use some type of backing to support the underside of the pin while you drive the pin, if not the firing pin will give too much and you may never get it out.

As a last resort, Randy, have you ever had to drill one out and replace the pin? I've had several that were a real pain. I've wondered about just drilling them out. The pins are cheaper than a new punch, or anything else for that matter.

I've never had one that needed to be drilled out, but I've had to redrill the holes for alignment before when mixing and matching pieces from different rifles.

If you have to drill the pin out, a roll pin fitted to the hole works fine and is much easier to remove and replace if needed.

-matt

The striker cross pin is installed from right to left from Remington.
Remove from left to right.
Some cross pin holes in the firing pin shanks are not centered & can be stubborn to remove.
Deburr the 3/32" cross pin hole in the f/pin shank with a half round needle file prior to build up for easy assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a last resort, Randy, have you ever had to drill one out and replace the pin? I've had several that were a real pain. I've wondered about just drilling them out. The pins are cheaper than a new punch, or anything else for that matter. </div></div>

No but I have applied a little heat to old Remington’s to drive them out. Newer rifles never seem to cause an issue. Once out and I knock off the cocking piece I mark the pin so when I put it back together the holes will line up. If you rotate the pin the holes may not line up and you will never get that pin back in without re-drilling the hole.