• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reprogramming RCBS chargemaster- settings

Re: Reprogramming RCBS chargemaster- settings

Never mind on my Q above.... I reprogrammed to the settings suggesting in the OP and they worked like a champ with throwing 24.0 grains of TAC. I loaded 50 tonight and they averaged about 20 sec each with zero overthrows. Most of the time, the throw was done and waiting on me by the time I seated the previous bullet. LOVE IT! Now I can't wait to try some Varget with .308 loads. With the factory settings, I was a averaging about 1 min or more per throw.

I used a piece of scotch tape wrapped around the end of the tube with about half the width of the tabe protruding past the end of the tube. This way the grains go across the sticky side of the tape and stick to it forming a layer 1 grain deep. This makes a textured surface that allows more accurate trickling than the original tube or a straw. I get close to zero overcharges now.

I started taking the charge from the CM and weighing it with a balance scale. To my surprise I found that most of the charges are underweight by .1 - .2 grains. Occasionally a full charge, very rarely slightly over, and sometime as much as .4 grain under. I now use it together with the beam - start with tee CM, then bring it up to weight with the balance. The balance can get within a single granule.

Kind of sucks - I like the idea of less fiddling. But I like accuracy more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to pass on some settings to enter into your chargemaster that make it fly, and still provide accurate throws. You can go to this website to see how to get into the programming. Once in the programming mode, on the 4th setting:

(MSP_A2 39.20), change that to 20
(MSP_B2 8.55), change that to 6
(MSP_C2 2.25), change that to 1.75

If you go much lower on the settings, you get a lot of over throws. If you find this is too fast, then increase the 6 and 1.75 setting slightly. These settings are for charges in the 308 Win charge weight range. This made my chargemaster much faster. I still finish the final weight on an Acculab VIC-123 for precise charge amounts to .02 grains, though.
Hope this helps!

Chad

</div></div>

Worked great with my new CM and Varget. Took approx 15-20 secs for 43gr. It went over maybe 2-3 times out of 100.

These new setting are much quicker and I don't get any over throws. I cannot believe how much faster this is when compared to the 505 scale.

Anyone know how I can adjust the dwell time from when the pan goes back down to when it starts throwing the charge? That seems to be the reason I'm throwing over-charges. If I do manual instead of auto, every charge is spot on. In Auto it will throw the charge, show the count, then come up with weight and 25% of the time it's over.

Nevermind- reprogramed and put some rolled up paper in the tube and it's spot on every time now! Would be faster without the paper I'm sure, but I KNOW it would be over-throwing

bump this to the top.
it improved the speed and accuracy!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!

This is great info, it should help me out a lot. I just got my chargemaster last week and it spits out 75.5 gr. of H-1000 in about the time it takes me to seat my 210 Bergers and it never went over. Before buying it I thought it would take 45-60 sec to get the charge out but it is way faster than that. I will try some .308's this weekend and I'll have to play with the settings if it seems slow. I also will try some 10mm, I'm guessing being able to tweak these settings will allow me to dispense 10-12 gr of Blue Dot without going over every other time like some had reported in reviews. I guess I need to take my kid to McDonalds so I can do the straw upgrade as well.

0d153094.jpg

great post chad i wish i would have known about this a long time ago

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give this a try. I reprogrammed mine a while back using the settings supplied from that site and I get WAY too many overthrows for it to have been worthwhile.

I'll try your settings and see if the performance improves.

Wow, never heard of this until tonight. I have to load some rounds for a couple buddies soon. I'll try these setting when I load their rounds.

thanks for the info

Tag. just bought myself a CM for Christmas

I did some testing using both settings provided by Chad and kombayotch. Using only Chad's resulted in a lot of overthrows, so I do recommend testing before an actual reloading session.

I have the McD's straw installed, but I still get a lot of "clumping" with Varget. This seems to be the cause of most of my overthrows now, rather than the settings themselves being too aggressive.

So this may be a dumb question for you CM owners...how do you get into edit mode? I tried getting to that south africa site but my pc didn't link the links provided...

In the mean time, I'll keep searching

I need to get home and try some of this, my CM usually overthrows Varget about 30% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CvE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this may be a dumb question for you CM owners...how do you get into edit mode? </div></div>
Try ENTER and EDIT MEM at the same time. The variables are in order and have to be stepped thru even if you don;t change them.

This is excellent ... will be giving it a go since I have 60pcs of primed brass ready to go. Love the Chargemaster but waiting on it is a pain.