• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Requesting recommendations for 7.62 Suppressor

guns1869

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
Rapid City, SD
Hey guys,
I bought an Armalite SuperSASS and am looking to put a 7.62 can on it. I've done quite a bit of research and seem to have hit a wall as many of them seem to be good. Weight is not my top concern, rather quality and level of sound reduction. I would like a QD system so I can ue it on smaller calibers if desired but am not opposed to a thread-on design. I already own a Surefire 5.56 can and love it but I'm opting out of another Surefire due to the high price. So far top of the list are the Gemtech HVT QD and a YHM QD since their QD can attach to a 5.56 as well.
What's the most quiet yet made to high quality?
Requestng puts and recommendations.
Thanks!
Pete L.

Re: Requesting recommendations for 7.62 Suppressor

Pete,
i am a dealer right east of you a couple hrs, i have an armalite super sass that holds MOA to 1100yds with my SRT shadow XL TI, I can say this is the best can "i" have used, pm me if you need more info, i have a vid to if you are interested.

Get in contact with skinney if you want some hands on demos, great customer service and top notch prices.

I went with the YHM 7.62 Phantom QD specifically for the reasons you're considering it.

I run it on a .243WSSM AR and knew that one day, I'll have a .308 and perhaps a 7mm to use it on.

It's heavy, but built like a tank, and I'm also not concerned with weight. I wasn't quite as impressed with the Bi-Lock on the HVT, seems to have just a slight amount of wiggle that I never really trusted.

These are just the one's I considered, and there are many other fine cans to add to the compare/contrast conversation.
DISCLAIMER: if you want "REAL" statistics on dB reduction instead of what manufacturers put on their website, Check at Silencer Research

I compare using the YHM stats because this is what I own and the others are what I had considered and ultimately passed on.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">YHM Phantom QD $724 MSRP</span>
28oz
-32 db reduction

Compared to (what people call) one of the best 7.62 cans available
<span style="text-decoration: underline">AAC 762-SD MSRP $875</span>
19oz
27-29 db reduction

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Gemtech HVT QD MSRP $875</span>
28oz
UNPUBLISHED - db reduction

<span style="text-decoration: underline">AAC SCAR-H SD MSRP $1250</span>
24oz
-30db db reduction

<span style="text-decoration: underline">SRT Shadow XL Ti MSRP $1050</span>
14oz
30-35 db reduction

<span style="text-decoration: underline">AAC 240-SD MSRP $2250</span>
28oz
28-32 db reduction

I went with the 762 phantom as well. Mainly because im a cheap ass. But also weight wasnt an issue to me, and none of them are hollywood quiet without subsonic rds. so a difference of 5 or so db's was not a big deal to me.

Be careful trusting manufacturer's claims on DB reduction. I know the data at silencer research came to some very different conclusions than what the manufacture numbers show above.

Also, be aware that db are not everything when it comes to sound reduction. Tone and frequency are very important too.

I went with the 762SD because of the reduced weight and better sound performance. I really wish I had waited about 4 months so I could have purchased the 51T version instead of the 18T version, but such is life.

I went with a Phantom 7.62 for the reasons you state. Weight, within reason, was not an issue and I had a .223, .243, .308 and 30/06 that would see use so I wanted QD. I have read the opinion on here that precision rifle means thread on can....I have personally not seen that in mine. Like everything on here there are fanboys and haters for just about every product.

7.62sd. good suppression and lighter compared to most. I am on the same seat as m1grand, pick up the 51 tooth you'll be much happier. The 51 tooth has a locking mechanism that ratchets the can on and lock. The 18 tooth just relies on spring tension and will wear out and new springs replaced.

xdeano

I've had an Ops Inc 3rd Model for a couple of weeks now and I'm 100% satisfied. My .308 is hearing safe with it and very little if any POI shift with/without it out to 200yds(farthest I've shot it to date). Built like a tank and does it's job very efficiently.

Shark all the way, with the thread adapters that David sells mine has been on AR15 AR10 260 and 308 boltguns, and the adapters look like part of the can.

You don't need QD to use on smaller calibers. Accuracy = thread on.

AWC 100% titanium Thundertrap, fully 360 deep penetration welded, 4th gen baffle, made out of a solid block of titanium. Weighs 16oz and is as quiet as they get. Few as strong, fewer still full auto capable.

NIGHTVRIFLEMOON.jpg

I have a couple of SAS cans on the way. The price is very good, and they are Accuracy International's in house suppressors, which to me speaks volumes. They do direct thread, and over a muzzle break / flash suppressor mounting.

I have a Gemtech HVT and I really like it. Its quiet and does what I bought it for. I swap it between the AR10 and the bolt gun.

However if I had it to do over again I would go titainum. The weight is noticable.

My new one I am paying for next week is an AAC 7.62sd. I have to make sure they have a mount for my AI. Pretty sure I have seen one for it.

I have the AAC 7.62sd and have been very pleased thus far. I've used it on 10.5" to 16" .223 guns and on my .308 bolt guns. Its seems as quite as the spr/m4 on the .223 guns. Only complaint is they now switched to the 51tooth model so looks like I want be getting an 18 tooth mount made in the 3/4 x 54 for my sr25. I understand why they changed, not that I had any complaints with the 18 tooth version, but the sr25 is screaming to be shot with the 7.62 mounted.

I just fondled my Thunder Beast Arm 30P-1 suppressor today!! I'll actualy have it in my possession hopefully in about 2-4 months.
I'll let you know how it shoots when I recieve it! I'll be shooting it on both my .300 WM and .308.