• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Resize new brass?

Re: Resize new brass?

I always answer that question the same way - Only if you want it to be accurate.

Depends on what it is. I chamfer and load lapua brass, but I wouldn't with Winchester brass. I checked the headspace on a batch of it yesterday and it was all over the place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always resized my new brass just to make sure everything is spot on. I don't know if you "have" to though. </div></div>

Same here.

I always full-length resize new rifle cases.
You can absolutely skip this step if you want to, but You'd be surprised at the variance between cases with respect to headspace and neck tension.

I only chamfer/deburr if there is a need, like after trimming, or if the factory case mouth looks ragged.

I always resize brass to fit my specific chamber. Sizing properly is important step in reloading and I feel helps when optimizing your accuracy.

Only if your dies are set up right to begin with. If not you might size them down even farther than they already are. Most new brass I have seen is sized too much from the factory to begin with.

"Resize new brass? "

Only if you want to uniform the necks, it sure won't blow you up if you don't. There's nothing you can do about 'headspace' on an unfired case.

I neck size all new brass. Not only to iron out the dents and oval shaped mouths, but to get the correct neck tension.

Yes, generally cases come headspaced at the small end of spec.
Sometimes they come "over-bumped" and firing the case is all you can do to fix it.

Factory cases can, and do, come long in the shoulder.
Running through a resizing die, can and does bring the shoulder back into spec with respect to headspace.
If you really want to depend on your ammunition, I can't imagine not doing this step.
I've seen many guns go down because of out-of-spec cases.
A case gauge, and experience, really come in handy when setting the re-sizing die.
If your dies are not set up properly to begin with, you're getting ahead of yourself and have more learning to do anyhow.

I prefer to only have guns with spec chambers so I can interchange ammunition if I want.
At this point, if my chamber had a tight neck, I would change the chamber and not the ammunition.