• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RFI: Asheville, NC area?

jvencius

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
'Nooga
www.cekron.com
HH6 and I have been talking a bit about where we'd like to live when she retires in 5-ish years and we keep coming back to North Carolina so I'm curious if anyone here who's in the western part of the state around Asheville could offer some thoughts. She told me N.C. doesn't tax military pensions so that's a big plus and it's not a zillion degrees there like it is in Florida where she's from (FL in December is niiiiice, FL in July/August--not so much...) This is VERY preliminary, since lots of stuff could change between now and when she hits 20 mandating where we'd live (i.e. a parent gets REALLY sick and we have to move close to them). Lord willing I'll be a R.N. in 9 months so finding work shouldn't be a problem for me and with her .mil retirement we ought to be doing okay $$$-wise but a lower cost of living would be nice, especially if that meant we could afford to buy a nicer house or more land. To her credit, she didn't flip out on me when I said enough land and the zoning to have a 50 meter (min) range on our own property was a must-have, esp. since N.C. is NFA-friendly and I DO plan on getting a suppressor as a "happy graduation to me" present when I'm done school.

Re: RFI: Asheville, NC area?

Only input I can offer is that not every county is NFA Friendly. Be sure to do your research and don't end up in a county that the Sheriff rejects or denies or sits on applications.

not for nothing, and I understand the actual parameters of your situation, but do you have any idea how funny your wording is?

Your wife is retiring soon, and you're about to finish school? C'mon, tell me you ain't Blessed.... HA!

Reactions: Ravenworks

If you want lower cost of living then you need to avoid Buncombe county. Outlying counties are much better for cost of living and land prices. Look to Haywood or Madison counties if you want a decent commute to work in Asheville. There is a small hospital in Haywood also in Henerson county but Henderson tends to be a bit higher cost of living than the first two counties I mentioned as alternatives.
I don't know about how friendly these counties are to NFA issues but I do know that Van Duncan(Buncombe county sherriff)limits pistol purchase permits to 12 per yer I believe, not a big deal but can be an indicator of political slant. I have a CCW so I haven't bought a permit in a long time, and I couldn't buy 12 per year on my salary anyway.

Yes we usually have milder weather but that doesn't always include the winter. '09-'10 and '10-'11 were especially bitter winters for here. I had 43" of snow in my yard over '09-'10 winter and wents weeks with littel melting but I live at 3000'.

Reactions: bunsen27

^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said. I live in Buncombe County.

Buncombe and Henderson are expensive. Madison is getting that way. If I had money to spend on land I would look at Rutherford County. It can still be had for a decent deal. There is a decent hospital in Rutherfordton. Added plus is there is good deer hunting in most areas of that county.

You might look at East Tennessee. No state income tax, more NFA friendly and likely to find cheaper land.

Reactions: 308pirate

One more thing. If you plan to move to Madison county I highly reccomend learning to blend with the locals before you move. Madison was the second choice for where the movie Deliverance was to be filmed. That is a joke but seriously, if you move into the outlying counties from Buncombe know that appalachia is a different culture than you may be used to. If your neighbors invite you to supper or bring you a pot of beans etc do not even politely decline...it is one of the highest insults you can pay some of these folks.

^^^^^^^ too funny. Blend with the locals in Madison Co. I am an Asheville native and have trouble blending with the Madison locals. Few years back Madison Co. made the cover of Time magazine for being the #1 county for growing marijuana in the US. Not much has changed. Few hippies and artists are moving in to Marshall.

Dont know about NC ,But TN is good tax wise if you live close to VA to get around the sales tax on stuff like food and the like.

I lived in Buncombe county last year. (the first time I was back east in 15 years, family obligation needed handled )

To be blunt it sucked. The Asheville area sucked. The closer you got to town the more and more it was greenies, granola's and wanna be hippies. Forget about a suppressor in Buncombe. My neighbor was a deputy and basically he said the Sheriff (Van Duncan) will not sign anything regarding a suppressor.

The place I managed employed 10 people. All "locals" from them thar hills. Many from Madison co. Good grief... deliverance description is way to mild... if you can't talk like them, look like them or act and think like them you ain't one of them and they will not "accept" you.

The only saving grace of being there for 13 long agonizing and dreadful months was that there are many good local micro breweries.

Many of the counties in WNC are becoming very expensive. Primarily due to the "half backs" as the locals call them. People from the N.E. move to Florida and them move half way back to N.C.

If you like to hunt and shoot ...forget about it.. tons a private land. Many of the local clubs and ranges have waiting lists to become members and the entire WNC is over crowded.

I live in Asheville and have suppressors...never had to talk w a sherriff! If you have a concealed carry liscense you dont need pistol permits either, so no cap on that...

I live in Asheville and have suppressors...never had to talk w a sherriff! If you have a concealed carry liscense you dont need pistol permits either, so no cap on that...
CA82B0A6-EB87-46BD-8DC4-26F3A1E7998F.gif

Don't go and ruin the fun with logic now.

We are helping sneaky gerbil man post pad his new account right into a banning.
How is that? I accidentally answered an old question and got shit for, then responded pretty politely...yall need to tuffin up!

How in the fuck did you accidentally dredge up a nine year old thread? Stupidly, sure, but that’s no accident either.
I did a search for Asheville NC, the closest area to where i recently moved...not that hard to do after a couple drinks. Whats fucked is that yall have the time to talk shit about a thread that has nothing to do with you...

I did a search for Asheville NC, the closest area to where i recently moved...not that hard to do after a couple drinks. Whats fucked is that yall have the time to talk shit about a thread that has nothing to do with you...
..... if anything is fucked its that you found a nine year necro thread, that literally has nothing to do with you or even current events, while allegedly drunk, and it’s everyone else that’s the problem? Yeah, ok.

Take a look fellas^^^^^^
This is why I moved away from that shithole.
They are moving in there at the rate of 8 head a day.
Lemme guess....
Um NY, massoftwoshits, or Michigan? Could also be California, but a bit of a longshot.
Gotta be close.

Hi,

Either you guys are slacking or my social skills are way off.....
Nobody is really mentioning him being drunk enough to accidently dredge up a 9 year old thread at 2pm????
I do not drink (other than water) so is that a common thing these days???

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Either you guys are slacking or my social skills are way off.....
Nobody is really mentioning him being drunk enough to accidently dredge up a 9 year old thread at 2pm????
I do not drink (other than water) so is that a common thing these days???

Sincerely,
Theis

He lives near Asheville. As a former resident there, I found that particular behavior, moot.

Yeah they used to sell grow your own shroom boxes in asheville, so not surprised.

Yeah they used to sell grow your own shroom boxes in asheville, so not surprised.
Used to? Fuck, that place is the Portland of the east coast and hippie central, only growing each year. They have Drum Circle Friday for fuck's sake, and even play on the "Keep Asheville weird" mantra.

It's more "Portland" than Portland, ME.

My son and family live in Asheville, great brewery scene and prior to Covid great food, I would not want to live there. Housing cost id very high for this area. I live in the next county east, McDowell. We have a very 2nd A friendly sheriff and a great private range (VOD Tactical) that host weekly comps;nrl22,run and gun, nra pistol , etc. The old fort and Marion area are quiet and laid back with median house prices.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Used to? Fuck, that place is the Portland of the east coast and hippie central, only growing each year. They have Drum Circle Friday for fuck's sake, and even play on the "Keep Asheville weird" mantra.

I can attest to this. Been looking for property in WNC. Spent a week or so based outta Asheville while looking around. No bueno.

Looked like Woodstock in the park. Drums. Dashikis. Elderly, babies, bums, junkies dancing to the drums.

I likened it to Austin - told the woman, "no fuckin' way we can be close to this."

Sad as shit and WAY overpriced. An opinion.

Used to as in the cops raided the headshops in the late 90's for all the shroom kits. May be back now, I couldn't say. Hippy shithole for sure. So is (was) Boone.

My son and family live in Asheville, great brewery scene and prior to Covid great food, I would not want to live there. Housing cost id very high for this area. I live in the next county east, McDowell. We have a very 2nd A friendly sheriff and a great private range (VOD Tactical) that host weekly comps;nrl22,run and gun, nra pistol , etc. The old fort and Marion area are quiet and laid back with median house prices.
N McDowell used to be alright, before the fl fags f'ed up the cove and the (those that will not be named) took over little switzerland.

The new plan, for us anyhoo...

Gonna likely settle with a "proper" property with some elevation that allows her to have a town nearby (Hendersonville, Brevard, Waynesville, whatever). Elevation, less bugs and humidity. And, I'm gonna grab another large plot of land with woods/water and critters and push up a hunting cabin/lodge not so far away for hunting. (The budget allows this-basically the same-was just preferring one place is all.)

Not ideal, but that is what I think allows us both what we need. And while she is hesitant to hunt critters and munch them that way... she is a surprisingly good shot and loves the wilderness. Soooo, thinking that is how 2021 will roll for us. A bit of a pain in the ass, but works across the board. Just sayin' for anyone who is in a similar boat.

Complex issues trying to please even the other half. Nothing is ever easy these days it seems.

EDIT: another necro-thread. Hoping I get a free toaster. :D

Last edited:
The new plan, for us anyhoo...

Gonna likely settle with a "proper" property with some elevation that allows her to have a town nearby (Hendersonville, Brevard, Waynesville, whatever). Elevation, less bugs and humidity. And, I'm gonna grab another large plot of land with woods/water and critters and push up a hunting cabin/lodge not so far away for hunting.

Not ideal, but that is what I think allows us both what we need. And while she is hesitant to hunt critters and munch them that way... she is a surprisingly good shot and loves the wilderness. Soooo, thinking that is how 2021 will roll for us. A bit of a pain in the ass, but works across the board. Just sayin' for anyone who is in a similar boat.

Complex issues trying to please even the other half. Nothing is ever easy these days it seems.
Look around crossnore. Jmho.

Reactions: Not a Sniper
Take a look fellas^^^^^^
This is why I moved away from that shithole.
They are moving in there at the rate of 8 head a day.
Lemme guess....
Um NY, massoftwoshits, or Michigan? Could also be California, but a bit of a longshot.
Gotta be close.
FTW!!!!

Chickn is still here and consistent in the response. Whatever happened to HH6?

Look around crossnore. Jmho.

We looked down to Greensville, SC. Everyone, in all areas were quite nice.

She definitely prefers the elevation (see: bugs and humidity). She is Eyetalian (think Rosanne Rossana Danna w/humidity).... :LOL: She is pretty tough, but "girly" in many ways. Wouldn't trade her for anything, so I'm trying to find the compromise ("expand the pie").

I, personally, can make do anywhere I have nature. Just sayin'.

I did look Northern GA and SC. ETN... etc.

I have to make that woman comfortable. She didn't do 20 w/Uncle Sugar. That is my flaw it seems.

I think the OP moved to Asheville and became a drum circle hippie, and "HH6" left him for a dude from Greenville cruising for DTF bitches on Tinder. The Hide is not his realm anymore.

Happens to pretty much everyone who moves to Asheville.

We looked down to Greensville, SC. Everyone, in all areas were quite nice.

She definitely prefers the elevation (see: bugs and humidity). She is Eyetalian (think Rosanne Rossana Danna w/humidity).... :LOL: She is pretty tough, but "girly" in many ways. Wouldn't trade her for anything, so I'm trying to find the compromise ("expand the pie").

I, personally, can make do anywhere I have nature. Just sayin'.

I did look Northern GA and SC. ETN... etc.

I have to make that woman comfortable. She didn't do 20 w/Uncle Sugar. That is my flaw it seems.
Upstate sc (extreme nw) may be worth a look. Will have a hard time finding elevation, but the politics are better.

Reactions: Not a Sniper
Upstate sc (extreme nw) may be worth a look. Will have a hard time finding elevation, but the politics are better.

Again, Greenville would be much more aligned with my private sector job background, but no joke, the woman noticed how severe 30 mins South could affect bugs and humidity. That drop in elevation is BIG difference in bugs and humidity. I can confirm it.

She isn't wrong. I considered it when she said it. It is truth.

If she smiles every morning - my day is fulfilled. I come from the land of ice and snow (there is a Zeppelin song in there!).

Stupid story time:

I do not recall the hotel in Asheville, but it had a roof top bar and restaurant.... Hilton... sumpthing.

We were looking up snow totals by region. When we saw the back range got like (dunno) 5" all winter... I laughed and said: "Fack. I can SNORT 5" of snow off the driveway," while the server showed up and looked at me. LOL. True story.

And I said to server: " I was talking about snow, the icy cold stuff... NOT cocaine." She laughed and walked away. LOL.

My point...?

Need to find a spot (or two) to fit both our needs. If SHE isn't happy... no way I am happy. And I have to be happy, to avoid pissing her off eventually. Been down that path once before. Quick-ish learn.

Maybe. Sortta.

:unsure:

I simply cannot be too close to a city. I have been most of my life and I want no part really. But will compromise to make that woman happy even if it means I need to draw up proper range cards.